Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I mental?

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by fhkj View Post
    Evening All

Just keen for some thoughts I guess. 50 years old, biked seriously from 17-35 first as courier then for fun and transport in and around London.

Packing kids off to university has coincided with a 3 day a week contract in central London. So I started thinking about getting into town most days and I’m not willing to get a tube. Thought cycling but no showers/gym etc.

Have been hankering for a bike for a while. Specifically a GS. Could this be the time?!

Would use the bike to ride into town, but also for runs to see my daughter in Newcastle and down to the coast on a regular basis.

Yes I could did it into town on a scooter etc, but maybe this is my chance/excuse to get a GS and kill many birds with one stone?

Feel free to insult me/laugh at the stereotyped middle-aged fool, or give me constructive criticism/thoughts.

Thanks, FJ
    You may think this daft but try a KTM 390 Duke. Fantastic fun, brilliant in London going through the gaps and even good on long trips. I've sold all my big fast bikes now because I didn't want to go to prison. Two other large capacity bike riders have bought 390's after borrowing mine. I'm off on a 9 day trip on mine soon. I think part of the reason I've kept this over the others is it always puts a smile on my face.

Devil may care... Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I’d also get an insurance quote before you purchase ... quite a few posts on here show that a GS and a London postcode do not make good bedfellows..

Quote Originally Posted by fhkj View Post
    During the day in London in a bike park? If so I'll find an underground park near Liverpool Street

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FJ, I'm not a million miles for your headspace (I live in London too).

Rode bikes since 16 (54 now) got back in about 10/11 years ago. Hade several Triumphs. Lovely bikes.

I thought I wanted a RT or an RS as some have said. Earlier this year, I tried them all. Then for the hell of it tried the GS. Then thought, sod it, I'll have a spin on the GSA. That was the one. Haven't looked back.

I do regular spins in to central London. It's not a scooter or a Duke. My days of whizzing about are over. I still get thru. I notice the road prescence, lights on, size, colour etc counts for a lot. People do, generally, move. Some idiots don't, heh-ho.

The offset of being a few minutes slower in London (and a lot less stressed) is the joy on longer runs, long sweeping curves, the convenience of what you can carry, a scooter or a Duke is not a multifunctional bike like that. Nothing wrong with either.

As other having said. Ride as many as you can. Whatever decision you make will be the right one.

Chris.

(Happy to meet and try mine for size if it helps)

Quote Originally Posted by London Chris View Post
    Ride as many as you can.

Absolutely. Don't narrow your field down to one bike that you've never ridden, go and ride at least three or four top contenders. If you walk into a dealer and tell them pretty much what you've told us, they will bend over backwards to loan you demonstrators. And you'll most likely find that one bike will shine above the others as a choice for you.

If you pull the trigger, consider a days refresher / brush up with a training company to get you back in the groove.

As Giles, said.

I used to commute daily in the 80’s and into the 90’s the 12 miles from Woodside Park (north Finchley) into the City. The best bike I did it on? A Honda 250 K1, an excellent motorbike.

To my mind, riding up to Newcastle, unless you intend to take the scenic routes, is about as exciting as a dull day in Wick. If in doubt, read the posts from our northern friends, bemoaning riding down to the Chunnel. You need something to just munch the miles, preferably cheaply and comfortably. A new GS (if you are thinking new) ain’t cheap.

If you have got the room, I’d buy something like a second (or more) hand, CB500 to commute on. Bulletproof, peanuts to run and easy to maintain. You could even take the piss out of GS riders, hooning through the twisties. Then for the longer stuff, an RT or similar. Integral luggage, no need to add bling. All day comfortable. Excellent in all weathers. Will hoon with ease. A decent secondhand RT, added to a decent(ish) CB500 will come out at less than a GS.... and be a feck sight easier to insure if you are living in London.

Have a look at one of Yamaha’s offerings, too. You could commute, hoon and jaunt to the south of Spain on one. Cheap. Bloody good bikes.

Sound suggestions.

I'd modify only slightly by sticking with a middleweight on it's own for a while and pushing your riding envelope gradually with a few non-work oriented riding trips.

If you love that and you want to do more you may well want to pull the trigger on something instead or even as well
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

If you are wondering what the majority of bods are commuting on, these from today on the ‘motorbike’ bay near Fenchurch Street station, top of Mark Lane EC3 will give you a clue:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12