Panniers Suddenly Falling Off R100R?

Clifton

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I say "suddenly" because they never came off before but the last three out of four times out riding with bags on I've lost one, I believe the right one twice and the left once, after going over a bump. After the first occurrence I made sure the latch was always locked so it's not the hasp being jiggled open from a bump, it's still closed and locked after coming off. There is slight play between the pannier and mount both at the top and the point where the hasp tightens down on the mount. The bike is a 1993 with about 30,000 miles and I'd say the panniers were on most of those miles, say 25,000. I'm pretty sure the bags and plastic "Z" type mounts are the same that were used on K100/K75.
Is this a known problem with this setup, if so does anyone know if there's a remedy? If it's an increase in play from wear is it at the mount area where the pannier rests down on the top of the mount or where the hasp grips the mount, or both? I don't want to use the panniers again until I can figure out and remedy the problem. I don't mind replacing both mounts if that's the answer but maybe it's the panniers themselves that are worn?

This is quite common. Most folk just put a luggage strap or belt around the case and frame.

Not uncommon, sadly. I have lost one or two in my time. If you've done 25k and this is the first time its happening I reckon you have done all right!*

I suspect you have "tolerance stack", ie a combination of worn mounts, worn locks and worn panniers - also, over time the panniers tend to deform somewhat as well. Easiest solution as Scooter Paul suggests is to use a strap round each pannier which is what I also do.

*Steptoe will be along in a minute to tell you how he used to collect airhead panniers at the roundabout near his workshop so common is this.......

Thanks guys that's what I'll do from now on. Makes sense that all the contact points have worn so simply replacing mounts themselves wouldn't solve the problem.

The chrome was starting to wear on my pannier racks where the clamps fit - so I wrapped black plastic tape around the frame.

This has made the pannier latches quite firm and the boxes no longer rattle.

It may no be very elegant but the tape can't be seen when the boxes are mounted and I have never lost one (having said that . . . . . . :blast ).

It might be worth a try.

Bob.

Thanks Voyager, not sure that'll work on my mounts because they're not tubular more of an irregular plastic stock. I did try a piece of inner tube which was too grippy but then started thinking maybe it's where the hasp latch grabs the mount. But as solidstate100 said probably every contact area is slightly worn.

*Steptoe will be along in a minute to tell you how he used to collect airhead panniers at the roundabout near his workshop so common is this.......

Indeed Sir, I did.
My own panniers used to take regular trips along the road beside me until i used a dowel and split pin to fix them in place.

But those were the early style panniers with the tubed square frames with the clip in latch locks.

The later style Z frames were far more dependable. Perhaps after 25 years of use they are now showing their age.

I suppose so, certainly can't depend on them being on when I get there.

Back
Top Bottom