i know nothing of the s1000xr

fizzer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
having had gs,and rt ,s for many many years and know of all the querks they have ,but having just sold the last of my bmw,s today i find myself needing another bike .
i like the look and feel of that inline 4 in the xr ,but to be honest i know nothing of what can go wrong with them.
so any advice really would be helpful
i know all about the hunger for tyres chains etc ,but what else should i be mindful of
many thanks ian

Great bike. I have one. I recommend the s1000xr.uk forum to find the info you need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Go read https://www.s1000xr.uk/index.php

I have had a lowered 2016 XR for a year. 10500 miles when bought, 16,000 now. Very happy with it.

Make sure you know the cost of an 18,000 mile service as it can be expensive. Factor this into the price you pay if it is close to this mileage.

Most common faults are a weeping water pump (like many BMWs as I assume they use the same cheap & nasty unit) and a noisy cam chain tensioner. Neither are terminal or expensive to fix.

Make sure you ride an XR - some people say they vibrate. Others feel they are okay. Mine is fine plus you have cruise control to use on long motorway spells which is where most people notice the vibes so you can easily flex your hands.

Completely different to a GS. That said, I have not ridden the 1250 which I believe is a different bike altogether. If you ride it sensibly it's very docile but that's not easy, most of the time you will want to "nail it" and it's very competent at this also. I don't do mega miles and never two up, it's possibly the best "allrounder" I've had :thumb

brilliant info guys thanks,so i am thinking they are reliable,switch gear electronics,clocks,engine,gearbox , etc
i have no probs with consumables ,servicing etc ,i expect that its called motorcycling .
what i dont like is expensive unreliable bikes ,that said most of my old gs,s have been fine, except the r1200gs that was a year 2005 ,rest been fine,ish
thanks lads

I was riding everywhere at 130mph when i took mine to spain. I prefer the GS personally but it was a real blast for 10k miles. Definately not as good a tourer, 10mpg worse on fuel, shit headlight, not quite as comfy in the seat.

Had mine since new in 2015, I can't think of a reason or any other bike out there I'd want to replace it with.
Over 21,000 miles, several tours of europe, commuted on, ridden daily and just such a fun easy bike to live with. Only failure has been a punctured rear tyre, so not a bike fault.
Had a few issues with the gear assist pro, it stopped working in Germany. Turned out the clutch micro switch had come loose/failed.
The standard drive chain is rubbish quality if you buy new (or was when I got mine).
I find it all day comfortable and have the HP higher sport seat which probably helps too.
Mines got a full Akrapovic system and been remapped at Hilltop motorcycles, sounds great, but possibly a bit loud??
The damping in the shock isn't what it used to be either so looking at replacing it with a Wilburs WESA in the near future.
I love it and look on it as a long term ownership bike, which I'll use a lot and upgrade/replace stuff as it wears out.

I had one for two years, and loved it. Took it all over Europe, and didn’t have a single issue with it. In the end, I sold it for the sake of my licence, as I found that it was at its best at full chat.

Would I have another? Absobloodylutely. :D

I’m eagerly waiting to see what the new S1000XR will be like.

Best all round bike I have ever had in over 35 years of riding. Very similar riding position to the GS but loopy quick if required.

I came to the XR after over a decade on GS/ GSA’s / R-series bikes and it was a change feeling the revs again. Mine has no vibration but some do.

Changing the seat certainly improves long distance comfort and there is the usual plethora of farkles to add if required.

I would take one out for a long test drive before you commit :beerjug:

Had mine since new in 2015, I can't think of a reason or any other bike out there I'd want to replace it with.
Over 21,000 miles, several tours of europe, commuted on, ridden daily and just such a fun easy bike to live with. Only failure has been a punctured rear tyre, so not a bike fault.
Had a few issues with the gear assist pro, it stopped working in Germany. Turned out the clutch micro switch had come loose/failed.
The standard drive chain is rubbish quality if you buy new (or was when I got mine).
I find it all day comfortable and have the HP higher sport seat which probably helps too.
Mines got a full Akrapovic system and been remapped at Hilltop motorcycles, sounds great, but possibly a bit loud??
The damping in the shock isn't what it used to be either so looking at replacing it with a Wilburs WESA in the near future.
I love it and look on it as a long term ownership bike, which I'll use a lot and upgrade/replace stuff as it wears out.

No, it hasn’t been remapped at all. https://m.facebook.com/Treetoptuning/

Like Nutty I was an early adopter and had one for 2 years and my only real gripe with it was the reckon useless heated grips but i believe that is now sorted.
Many go on and on about the vibes but mine were only noticeable in a very narrow rev band 5200 to 5400 and i never kept it in that range so it was never an issue.

Like nutty i got rid for the sake of my license as it was only really at its best when high in the rev and there fore very high in the MPH

All that said I now have a KTM super duke GT which is equally as fast if not faster but in a different and more license keeping way ( that's what i keep telling myself anyway)

Like Nutty I was an early adopter and had one for 2 years and my only real gripe with it was the reckon useless heated grips but i believe that is now sorted.
Many go on and on about the vibes but mine were only noticeable in a very narrow rev band 5200 to 5400 and i never kept it in that range so it was never an issue.

Like nutty i got rid for the sake of my license as it was only really at its best when high in the rev and there fore very high in the MPH

All that said I now have a KTM super duke GT which is equally as fast if not faster but in a different and more license keeping way ( that's what i keep telling myself anyway)
Keep telling yourself that RedRick, it's bloody mental just like the XR :D

Back
Top Bottom