Rochefort

AndyB_11

Still waiting
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Easy question for you all, apart from drinking Trappist beer what would you recommend doing if you had a day to spend in Rochefort?

We’ve had it planned to go to the classic racing at Gedinne next weekend for ages but I’ve got a gap appeared in my work schedule and my wife has holidays to use so we’re off to Rochefort with the wobbly box on Wednesday before heading to the circuit Friday morning. We’ll have the eBikes with us so anything within 10-15 miles of the town is achievable.

There may be enough to occupy the day within walking distance of where we’re parking for 2 nights but there’s a risk that it’d descend into madness as I start off by drinking Jupiler with lunch in a cafe then get drawn towards the Trappist alternative meaning that before 10pm I’m a gibbering wreck :beerjug:

I like that bikemap site, route Rochefort 06 is within battery range and has hills to get the other half screaming at me when she realises I lied when I said it was flat :thumb2

Caves are always a good wet weather alternative, we did the caves of Han a couple of years ago when it rained and we were struggling for things to do that would lose a few hours that would otherwise be spent getting miserable riding motorbikes.

Who’d have imagined it could rain in the Ardennes?

Enjoy your extra days away :thumb2

Why thank you. I’m sure that no matter what happens it’s going to be an improvement on the original plan which was to get off the train at 11pm on Thursday, stop in the services near Mons for about 6 hours then continue the journey to Gedinne.

First impression is that it’s a really nice little town with the obligatory bars and restaurants that I require from anywhere in the Ardennes.

When in Rochefort it’s best to start with a Trilogie de Rochefort which comes with snacks as well. Sorted

4b03e60e31328d1bda0e0c993c29ac3c.jpg

No headache this morning was a bit of a bonus so I decided to splash the cash on Bikemap premium to see where I’ve been after I get there.

That brings us round nicely to the fact that we’re now sitting in the shade outside a bar in Han which is typically busy with hordes of tourists queuing to go in the grottes. Mrs B suggested that I might like to visit the caves given that I spent a lot of years actively caving so I gently reminded her that I did that trip, with her, about 3-4 years ago.

I fear dementia has set in 😀

Right then, we’ve moved ourselves to Gedinne where even at 10am it was getting busy in the camping field.

Final comment on Rochefort: It was good. The campsite was good with excellent facilities and it was a 5 minute walk to the town centre. It’s about €25/night for a motorhome plus 2 adults and that includes electric hook up so pretty reasonable for high season. Plenty of variety when it came to restaurants with the range being standard Ardennes where you get a choice of most things, Indian, Thai, Chinese, greasy kebabs or burgers.

We both agreed we’d come back so you can’t ask for more than that.

Back
Top Bottom