Coolant Leak

Keef

Reaction score
Noticed today that there was a bit of white splatter on the underside of the rear mudguard. Thought it looked like coolant, and sure enough there is also splatter on the rear tyre slightly to the left of centre, and the exhaust under the engine and the coolant breather that exits under the left frame rail is wet with coolant.
Is this a known problem?
How much is acceptable?
Had a similar problem with my Triumph Scrambler and Triumph said it was a breather and so long as it was constantly dripping a bit of splatter was to be expected.

Its a breather,
so a small amount would be acceptable - ie a few drops

Often it's a tell tale that the mechanical seal is / has failed

I'd be going back to the dealer for a chat ,

And keep an eye on the temp gauge !

The splatter should be the same colour as the coolant - blue, green, pink, depending on whats fitted

You don't mention the age of your GS?

If you are under warranty, get it checked out soonest & take great care in the meantime as when coolant meets rear tyre contact patch it can spell disaster. How much coolant have you lost so far? Has the bike been overheating, maybe in heavy traffic?

A small weep from the pump occasionally may be deemed acceptable & gets carried away with a breather tube given the pump's location rather than through say a weep hole, but your Triumph experience sounds like so much dealer BS to me, so please don't take that as the norm.

2018 GS Rallye. Bought used with 750 miles on it. It’s under the 2 year used warranty plan.
I did a lot of motorway filtering on Thursday and coolant temp reached 100 deg at one point although no warnings came up.
It hasn’t lost a great deal of coolant, it is now on the minimum and it was only slightly above that when I got it.

100c is not life threatening.

Check the coolant level in the manner prescribed in the owner’s handbook and top up (if necessary) in the manner also prescribed in the same handbook.

You’ll be fine.

If you want to see something really piss its coolant down the road, buy a 1600.

If you want to see something really piss its coolant down the road, buy a 1600.

Or an MV Brutale 800 RR at the top of the Picos mountains.

My how we laughed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom