Phone mount instead of Sat Nat?

RTV

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Has any of you tried the phone mount on the original Sat Nav holder? I see them cheap as chips on ebay/amazon and it's certainly a good option for running around town without worrying about carrying the Nav itself and if need directions, just pop the phone and google maps your way out of it....

Wondering if anyone has any experience, how solid they are, etc ?

example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/KKmoon-Uni...gateway&sprefix=r1200gs+phone+,aps,117&sr=8-8

Cheers,
Rami

that mount has sealed the death of the the shite garmin navigator

Good stuff lads, so definitely worth a try!

:)

I do like the navi. The biggest plus being able to control it with the wheel on the handlebar or being compatible with gloves... For the phone, you'll most likely end up stopping and removing the gloves.

So specially on a big tour, I'm not 100% sure I'll entirely replace it. But for local trips, gmaps, waves is miles better.

Cheers

I do like the navi. The biggest plus being able to control it with the wheel on the handlebar or being compatible with gloves... For the phone, you'll most likely end up stopping and removing the gloves.

So specially on a big tour, I'm not 100% sure I'll entirely replace it. But for local trips, gmaps, waves is miles better.

Cheers

+1 :thumb2

I couldn't agree more............I have just bought one! :)

I’ve glued a phone case to the cover that goes over the satnav mount. Just slip the phone in when required I can send photos if requested. JJH

I’ve glued a phone case to the cover that goes over the satnav mount. Just slip the phone in when required I can send photos if requested. JJH

That’s a great idea!

That said, if you have Nav and it’s linked to your phone, I don’t understand why anyone would need to consider an alternative. That said, my Nav is locked in its cradle, so it’s a permanent fixture as far as I’m concerned.

genrally using a phone is pretty good, but I did find when doing Scotland this year if the phone lost signal and it needed to recalculate you will find yourself riding blind for a while, until service is resumed.

genrally using a phone is pretty good, but I did find when doing Scotland this year if the phone lost signal and it needed to recalculate you will find yourself riding blind for a while, until service is resumed.
That's not a problem if you use a phone satnav app like MyRoute or TomTom where you can download the maps to the phone, so do not need a signal for a data connection.

You can download Google maps for offline use aswell.
More than once that has let me down where the map is offline but it's not to navigate due to lack of signal.

I have Sygic as an alternative for real offline navigation, but you can't beat the database of Google maps.

So for me, they definitely complement each other.

Back
Top Bottom