1250 GS or GSA?

It looks it might be constant commuting in Traffic........check out the average speed.

Sent from a U11

It looks it might be constant commuting in Traffic........check out the average speed.

Sent from a U11
Yep, from out of London into the city centre hence average speed.

The long term average speed on my 2007 GSA is 70kmh and the consumption is 44mpg

It's purely used as a leisure/hobby vehicle.....so constant mountain "special stages"

Not really relevant to the discussion...... I suppose my point is that your mpg is feckin dire.

Sent from a U11

Had a software update recently but still need another, constant Bluetooth issues where I have to pair my helmet and phone from scratch. Just can't be bothered to go and waste and entire day doing it.

I commute from outside London into the city centre hence the average speed. The average speed will be higher on weekends for social rides.

Well that sort of explains them figures then, I would be on a vespa during the week good protection and cheap running, and if they nick it, not to hard on the Insurance, but that is another thread I suppose.

If you spend your days doing 30 in 6th, yes. I get 210/215 out of my GSA and the refill is usually 26 litres which has me in the reserve.

So no, a standard GS won't do over 200 miles on a full tank. The GS I had before my GSA did 120-130 per tank which is half the reason I traded it after 3 weeks for a GSA.

The gs that I had would do 250 miles to a very stretched tank. 21.5 liters to fill. I’m not known for hanging around. Regular 30 mile commute in 30/35 minutes. The 36 liters in the gsa I got into the gsa often brought me 350 miles. Wasn’t as economical as the gs. JJH

I get 48mpg from my GSA, more if I ride sensibly so reckon on 325 miles-ish range although I have spoken to someone from this parish who's had closer to 400 miles until the bike spluttered to a standstill. For me though it's not all about tank range. Having ridden both, the GSA benefits from longer travel suspension, seems less twitchy at the front due to slightly more relaxed steering geometry and comes with all the farkles you could want in standard TE form, so lights, heated grips, ESA, pannier racks etc etc. I prefer the more relaxed handling of the GSA which still cuts it on tighter twisty roads and it still hustles when pushed almost as well as the GS. No brainer for me...GSA. You'll only end up buying a GS and adding those things anyway, especially things like crash bars which come as standard on the GSA and as you said you want to do more off road stuff, that's what the GSA is set up for.

Well that sort of explains them figures then, I would be on a vespa during the week good protection and cheap running, and if they nick it, not to hard on the Insurance, but that is another thread I suppose.

I would agree with you but I previously took that logic and bought a PCX125 and ended up having my worst accident to date due to lack of road presence. An idiot texting while driving came over a mini roundabout failed to give way and t-boned me. I tried to accelerate out of the way but with f all power I just took the hit.

When I was on the floor getting cut out of my clothes with a neck brace and blocks either side of my head I swore if I was on my bandit I might have been ok and after that I wouldn't touch a moped again.

Totally logical to get a moped for the week but the extra fuel cost is worth the safety imo.

I would agree with you but I previously took that logic and bought a PCX125 and ended up having my worst accident to date due to lack of road presence. An idiot texting while driving came over a mini roundabout failed to give way and t-boned me. I tried to accelerate out of the way but with f all power I just took the hit.

When I was on the floor getting cut out of my clothes with a neck brace and blocks either side of my head I swore if I was on my bandit I might have been ok and after that I wouldn't touch a moped again.

Totally logical to get a moped for the week but the extra fuel cost is worth the safety imo.

Yep you cannot avoid idiots, and I was thinking more a Vespa 300 GT or Piaggio 500 they are nippy as hell.

Yep you cannot avoid idiots, and I was thinking more a Vespa 300 GT or Piaggio 500 they are nippy as hell.
I think if I ever go that route I'd get one of the BMW maxi scooters. Someone at work has the electric one but the lack of sound would scare me.

Easy decision ...don’t fill the tank all the way up... you hit it on the head when you said by the time you add larger pegs, extra lites,crash bars , larger windscreen ,racks already installed you are OVER the cost of a GSA vs GS... now here in the USA GSA much better resale value... AND the large gas tank is FREE use it as you wish... long trip with spotty gas ?fill er up...Sunday ride in the midlands or green lanes half way..... you’re welcome

FYI brooks makes panniers that clip right on the GSA racks for Around $625 usd last time I looked

Thanks again for all the messages, the different opinions are great to hear and everyone has a valid point. I do like those brooks panniers, they look great. However all this chat has ironically made the decision making worse. The GSA definitely gives better value for money and more capability, but the GS is more flickable for a Sunday ride out.:confused:

Hello dude. I'm on my 5th GS; a 1250 GS in the 'exclusive' paint scheme. Previously had a 1250 GSA earlier this year, but had 'buyer's remorse' as I spec'd up a base model without ESA and didn't like the non ESA ride. Aside from the ESA issue, I much prefer the 'look' of the GSA (and the road presence with the spot lights etc) but I find GSs slightly more fun to ride as they change direction easier / quicker and are noticeably lighter. Conversely, I think the GSAs are more 'planted' feeling (which also appeals obviously). At your height and leg length, I would seriously recommend the GS over the GSA on overall height (GSA has taller suspension as you know) and also the GSA seat is wider at the front, making it more of a stretch when putting your leg/s down. I am about 5 ft 10 with approx 31/32 inch leg and I found the GSA uncomfortable to be honest. I think you need to be 6 ft for a GSA with a longer leg. If you buy a low chassis bike, you will be narrowing the future re-sale market. I also think they look a bit odd! The low seat could be an option. but I would guess it will be less comfortable? Get a standard height GS and put the seat in the low setting if need be. I'm ironically having some problems with my ESA on this latest GS and it's being looked at under warranty. I have recently ridden the new F850 GS as a courtesy bike (totally different to the previous F800s). It's a really nice / fun ride and very capable. There is an 'adventure' version which I am yet to ride, but I think it should be on your test ride list! You will be really (pleasantly) surprised. Also, if you are mostly riding solo, you don't need the side panniers. Just a top box, tail pack and tank bag. Lighter and better for getting through traffic. Oh and the 'rallye' seat is going to be harder / less comfortable. Get the standard seat or up spec to a 'comfort seat' (comes in high and low options) for an extra £50 or so. No comfort seat option on the GSA by the way. You would have to buy it desperately at a much higher cost or go after market. I'm thinking about switching from my 1250 GS to a 850 GS....... Good luck.

Whichever way you go, you wont be disappointed because the engine is the heart of the machine, and that new 1250 engine is a stonker. The engine is at the extension of your throttle arm, and the improved horse power is really lovely and for me comes in at the right time.

I'm for the GS rather than GSA .... ability to easily filter through traffic is a massive plus. Fuel filling is never an issue, there a loads of petrol stations, and a break in riding for five
minutes never goes amiss for concentration levels. Price comparison is not an issue.... they are both premium machines and a decent investment whichever you choose.

Depends how tight you are. I got the GSA twice because once you add bars and aux lights etc you're at the same price. GS would prob be more manageable but I get 210 miles per tank on my GSA anyway so based off that I wouldn't buy a GS and have to fill up every 110-120 miles.

Other than that depends which luggage you prefer.
210 miles per tank is pretty standard on GS. Usually get high 50's mpg.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6 using Tapatalk

Disagree all you like, it doesn't change what's true. I've had a GS and I'm on my second GSA. First hilltopped, second not. This is what I get from a tank and I commute 5 days per week.
8d14837b816d0bb9578c955cfab49493.jpg
You must be in a minority of one.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6 using Tapatalk

I was in the same dilema, Im 5" 9 with 30" inside leg, I tried the GSA and I loved it but I felt it to be a bit cumbersome especially moving it around when off,(but really wanted one cos its a GSA right!?) my mates who have the GSA are all 6ft plus so makes sense for them. I get at least 180 miles from a tank and we are all ready for a break and most of the time a couple of guys that come out with us dont have the same range so we all end up stopping together. I do look at the GSA as I like the road presence it has and there is always a bit of envy but the GS makes more sense for my size and ability.

I was in the same dilema, Im 5" 9 with 30" inside leg, I tried the GSA and I loved it but I felt it to be a bit cumbersome especially moving it around when off,(but really wanted one cos its a GSA right!?) my mates who have the GSA are all 6ft plus so makes sense for them. I get at least 180 miles from a tank and we are all ready for a break and most of the time a couple of guys that come out with us dont have the same range so we all end up stopping together. I do look at the GSA as I like the road presence it has and there is always a bit of envy but the GS makes more sense for my size and ability.

I enjoy being my own size and I am very happy with it. I am glad that I am not 'tosser' size and feel the need for a 'tosser sized' bike..... being just GS size is wonderful. It's a bit like not being able to drink so much beer. I was always glad that I was pissed off 5 pints.... it only cost me half as much as my mates to end up in the same state! if you see what I mean.

I'm an inch shorter with a 31 inside leg and the GSA with the seat in the low position I find just fine, balls of feet on ground. Plan to have the standard seat re-sculpted using laminated foam (firmer then memory foam) with an inch removed from the thickness of the standard seat. Cheaper and likely more comfortable than investing in the BM low seat. For me, if I didn't have the GSA, I'd go straight to the R1250R instead. There's not much out there to beat the presence and easy natured ride of the long legged GSA though. Just depends what you want out of a bike. For a weekend blast, the R1250R makes more sense. For year round use and several tours a year, I prefer the GSA as I tend to use my bike for longer jaunts.

Ok, I now have a plan! I'm going for a standard GS 1250 Ralyee. With standard seat, nav 6 and factory fitted driving lights. For reference my thoughts go like this:

a. I don't feel like I need the extra range of a GSA, after 100 miles or so I'm ready for a leg stretch, never mind 300! Of course that range is also great if there's a lack of petrol station, but I've never had that problem yet.
b. I like the smaller tank, on hot days I prefer the increased air flow around the tank, on colder days I'll wear long johns!
c. I like the agility of the GS, it just feels easier to live with and turns in better
d. I'm not 6" tall so the GS means I can always get my feet down safely
e. I'm getting BMW to fit the lights as I want the best fit & finish with these
f. I'm going to get engine bars and probably metal cases from SW Motech, I like the look of these and they're cheaper

So I'm pretty happy with this, so much so I've put a deposit down. FYI I'm buying it from Sunderland BMW, never been there and don't know them, but they are more than £1000 cheaper than my local (Chester) dealer. So fair play, they get the business!

Hopefully this thread will help others with the same dilemma/thought process. Ultimately it's as most people have said, it's personal preference. But it's certainly worth riding both and taking some time in deliberation. Thanks to everyone for their contributions and comments. Much appreciated. Hopefully I'll get the bike next month and I'll pop a pick up.

Back
Top Bottom