1000mls on the V85TT

wrinkleyowlie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I was late into Guzzis, not acquiring my first one until 2014 ( I've had 8 others since then) a new 1200 Stelvio NTX. Lovely bikes and I'd still love one now, but they are just to tall for me. The V85 is not much lower but with 100lb less weight, much more manageable.
So, it's a tall..ish bike and weighs in at 500lb but it just doesn't feel that heavy. It's very easy to manoeuvre when pushing around, even on my gravelled drive.
It's a very simple bike and not to many gizmo's, personally I'd rather have seen dual analogue clocks than the TFT screen, but despite being fairly small it displays good clear information and is light reactive which works well.
I think looks wise it's a fantastic looking bike and I'm hoping there's going to be a roadster based on this engine.

80bhp doesn't sound a lot but it's got plenty of get up and go, it lacks that low down grunt of the big block Guzzi's but is most probably quicker up to 90mph than any of my Stelvio's where. Engine and gearbox are super smooth, no snatching and a lovely box.
I did have a problem with the clutch early on which was replaced, including flywheel, and everything has been good since.
Dual Brembo's upfront and a single to the rear make for nice progressive stopping with good feel.
Suspension is more than adequate on general road but it does get a bit choppy on the gnarly back roads.

Handling overall is very good and whilst I'm no riding god I do get a wriggle on occasionally, but I've had none of the footpeg scraping that the testers had, although I have had my suspension set one notch stiffer than they did. I don't understand why none of the journo's didn't put the suspension up a notch when they where experiencing this on the tests?

The standard screen is ok for bumbling about locally and whilst you do get some wind on your upper body, there is zero buffeting. I also have a taller screen which gives better protection from the elements but does cause some buffeting, I'll play with that in the future.

Seating position is spot on for me and I would imagine the bike will be all day comfortable. Nice wide bars and plenty of leg room, one thing I have noticed is how much easier it is to get good vision at junctions, the seating position makes it very easy to turn your head, big positive for me as I get older.

I'm still waiting for Givi to sort out the pannier frames, so I've not had the bike fully loaded yet. I was hoping to go up to Scotland on it in September, fully loaded with my camping gear, to see how it performed. I've had a short 30ml run with Jo on the back and it does markedly effect the performance.

Quality of finish looks very good but time will tell on that score, although I also have a 2006 Griso 1100 which is still in fantastic condition.
I've converted the tubed tyres to tubless using 3M 5200 sealant and 3M ultra sticky tape, and added a tyre pressure monitor. Up to now all seems well.
Overall an absolute cracking bike, and if I had to choose one out of my current bikes as a do all bike I think it would be this one.

I am up to 2,600 on mine now adding about 1500 on a trip to Brittany that we got back from, much delayed due the weather, last weekend. Most of the miles done with wifey on the back and lightly loaded with just clothes and stuff for going to France.

It will cruise on the cruise control at 90mph but petrol disappears very quickly so I didn’t do it for long, just to see how it was. The sweet spot for two up seemed to be about 75 returning 55ish mpg and just on the edge of peak torque in 6th so easy to speed up quickly if needed.

I am on the high comfort seat which doesn’t really seem to add a huge amount of comfort but does lift my head up into much quieter air flow - standard screen pushed away from rider/as upright as it goes. Wife never wriggled or squirmed once from discomfort even after several long motorway stretches.

Unless we head off to Eastern Europe on it in September I am likely to be at the Rally in Strontian in September.

My last Guzzi was a V50 Monza in 1984. This one won’t be the last. I like them again.

Hoping to go up to Strontian on mine. I'm hoping that Givi have some pannier rails out soon for the V85 as I need to lay my tent across the panniers. I've been out this morning on the V85 then this afternoon on my Griso 1100. That engine and gearbox set in the V85 frame, the perfect bike for me.

I was late into Guzzis, not acquiring my first one until 2014 ( I've had 8 others since then) a new 1200 Stelvio NTX. Lovely bikes and I'd still love one now, but they are just to tall for me. The V85 is not much lower but with 100lb less weight, much more manageable.
Not as late as me, collected my first Moto Guzzi [V85], from Teasdales at the start of the month and it's just passed 1000miles. I came from a 1290 T, a fantastic bike and whilst the size and weight were no problem I'm aware that they could become one some day so I sold it whilst was still worth something - that and a likely £800 bill for the approaching 18k service.

So, it's a tall..ish bike and weighs in at 500lb but it just doesn't feel that heavy. It's very easy to manoeuvre when pushing around, even on my gravelled drive.
Agreed on the way the V85 carries it's weight.

It's a very simple bike and not to many gizmo's, personally I'd rather have seen dual analogue clocks than the TFT screen, but despite being fairly small it displays good clear information and is light reactive which works well.
Agreed on the screen, a wee bit bigger would've been nice but yes, it's perfectly adequate, however I can't say the same for the switch gear or the warning lights.
Switch gear - might look posh but overall I feel it's a little cheap and nasty - a bit all nets and no knickers, as me dear old gran used to say.
Indicators & CC ......just not particularly nice to use with no resume on the CC.
Kill switch - everything an emergency stop button shouldn't be.
Amongst the warning lights there's a bright green light to indicate the CC is in stand-by and that's ok.....except it flashes. Very distracting and pretty near to the turn lhs indicator light. There's a neat little icon on the screen that flashes in unison with the green light which serves just fine as a reminder of the CC state.
Low fuel lights fairly anonymous and easily missed. Fortunately it comes on way too early so there's plenty of opportunity to spot it.
Revs indicator lights - why? Distracting.
Nice to be able to change riding modes on the go with single button push.

I think looks wise it's a fantastic looking bike and I'm hoping there's going to be a roadster based on this engine.
Agreed, sweet looking bike. Mine's in Blue.

80bhp doesn't sound a lot but it's got plenty of get up and go, it lacks that low down grunt of the big block Guzzi's but is most probably quicker up to 90mph than any of my Stelvio's where.

Agreed, only been two up with no luggage so far but I'm guessing 80bhp will be enough. It does need to be worked hard on the overtakes.

Engine and gearbox are super smooth, no snatching and a lovely box.
Very smooth engine until nearing 80mph but that's fast enough for me these days. Spot on fueling.
Gearbox generally very nice but sound a little clunky going down with no earplugs in.
Very difficult to fine neutral when very hot though normally it's fine.

I did have a problem with the clutch early on which was replaced, including flywheel, and everything has been good since.
My petrol cap key cover sticks up - my legal team have been placed on stand-by. To be replaced under warranty.

Dual Brembo's upfront and a single to the rear make for nice progressive stopping with good feel.
Yep, good brakes. Look identical to 1290 calipers.

Suspension is more than adequate on general road but it does get a bit choppy on the gnarly back roads.
I commented on my test ride that the suspension was harsh, that bumps were transmitted to the rider. I assumed this was a set-up issue on a test bike but mine's the same. Riding over bumpy roads we've traveled hundreds of times before, for the first time ever, my pillion commented on how bumpy these roads were.

Handling overall is very good and whilst I'm no riding god I do get a wriggle on occasionally, but I've had none of the footpeg scraping that the testers had, although I have had my suspension set one notch stiffer than they did. I don't understand why none of the journo's didn't put the suspension up a notch when they where experiencing this on the tests?
Likewise, no footpeg scraping for me. With the reduced weight and the massive frontal area of the 1290T gone [obviously], I've far more confidence in corners, faster and much more enjoyable.

The standard screen is ok for bumbling about locally and whilst you do get some wind on your upper body, there is zero buffeting. I also have a taller screen which gives better protection from the elements but does cause some buffeting, I'll play with that in the future.
My major issue with this bike is the buffeting. I use a Shark flip-up and buffeting's a problem. I've fitted a spoiler to the screen but first impression aren't good although it was pretty windy today. One way or another this is going to have to be resolved.

Seating position is spot on for me and I would imagine the bike will be all day comfortable. Nice wide bars and plenty of leg room, one thing I have noticed is how much easier it is to get good vision at junctions, the seating position makes it very easy to turn your head, big positive for me as I get older.
Yes, very comfy for both rider and pillion. I've just fitted a pillion backrest so it's looking very good as a day long tourer.

I'm still waiting for Givi to sort out the pannier frames, so I've not had the bike fully loaded yet. I was hoping to go up to Scotland on it in September, fully loaded with my camping gear, to see how it performed. I've had a short 30ml run with Jo on the back and it does markedly effect the performance.
I've a pair of Trekker Outback panniers waiting for a Givi rack. I'm pretty happy with 2up performance but accept 2up with luggage may slow us down and I'm prepared to live with that.

Quality of finish looks very good but time will tell on that score, although I also have a 2006 Griso 1100 which is still in fantastic condition.
Other than the cheapo feel switchgear, I agree. Finish looks good with some really nice castings to be found. That said, I've just noticed both Moto Guzzi rim logos on the rear wheel are peeling off.

I've converted the tubed tyres to tubless using 3M 5200 sealant and 3M ultra sticky tape, and added a tyre pressure monitor. Up to now all seems well.
I also intend to do this. Glad you went first.

Overall an absolute cracking bike, and if I had to choose one out of my current bikes as a do all bike I think it would be this one.
At the moment, imo, it's a very good bike with issues which will require some cash thrown at 'em - then I think I'm going to be in complete agreement with you about it being an absolute cracker.

1. Sorry, but I'm not getting the Guzzi thing at the mo.

The motor's very smooth, that and the dreadful wind noise/buffeting along with earplugs and I may as well be on a Honda inline 4. I can't feel or hear shit. A slip-on will be fitted very soon, if Akrapovic do one that'll do nicely. May go with Guzzis very expensive own slip-on since I heard two on a California and whilst loud they sounded dead ace.
A Super Tenere I had was like that. It simply bored me until, in desperation, I in stalled an Akrapovic. The additional noise really made it a great bike to ride. It became one of those bike you shouldn't have sold. Great bike and a joy to ride with the additional acoustics - maybe it's just me, but sound adds a lot to the experience.

2. Buffeting. Hopefully, that'll be sorted without great expense.

3. Rear suspension. The plushness factor needs upping but there's no rush for that.

4. That fecking green CC light - easily cured.

CC resume is a long push up on the CC button. Agree the green flashing light is irritating.

BOXER...On the exhaust front, I replaced the original with a full QD system, Y piece and end can were on offer for £575, very nice quality and looks good. It sounded much better but still a little quite having a 25mm baffle fitted, but too loud without the baffle. I had another baffle made ( cost £20) with a 36mm bore and it sounds fantastic, bike runs lovely, definitely a bit perkier. I'm seriously considering an Ohlins for the rear, just a lot of cash if there's no great improvement.

I run the bike in off road mode, the mapping is much better in this mode and it pulls out of the bends much nicer, I do think Guzzi may have got the maps mixed up, downside is you lose your rear ABS.

Not sure where your based, but I also bought mine from Teasdales. If you wanted a hand to covert your wheels I've still over half a tube of sealant left and it's not cheap, I've all the gear for removing tyres.

BOXER...On the exhaust front, I replaced the original with a full QD system, Y piece and end can were on offer for £575, very nice quality and looks good. It sounded much better but still a little quite having a 25mm baffle fitted, but too loud without the baffle. I had another baffle made ( cost £20) with a 36mm bore and it sounds fantastic, bike runs lovely, definitely a bit perkier.
Useful info, thanks. As far as is possible to tell on uTube the Zard slip-on sounds good.

I'm seriously considering an Ohlins for the rear, just a lot of cash if there's no great improvement.
I've seen on MG accessories page the Ohlins option and have been in contact with Kais who claim Ohlins do not make a rear shock for the V85.

Matris shocks seem to be a popular choice on the US forums. Again, I spoken to the UK importer who will get back to me with a price in about two weeks when Italy returns to work.

I run the bike in off road mode, the mapping is much better in this mode and it pulls out of the bends much nicer, I do think Guzzi may have got the maps mixed up, downside is you lose your rear ABS.
That's interesting. I'll try it later.

Not sure where your based, but I also bought mine from Teasdales. If you wanted a hand to covert your wheels I've still over half a tube of sealant left and it's not cheap, I've all the gear for removing tyres.
A generous offer, thank you. I'm based on the Wirral but I'll be converting to tubless when the present tubed tiyres are in need of replacement.

Just had a little trip into the Dales for a couple of days camping, anyone who's seen me loaded up for a camping trip will confirm that I don't travel light. At 64 I need to stand up in my tent these days, I have a Khyam Biker plus tent, Exped mega mat 10 air bed, a proper pillow, chair, all my food, Trangia, clothes, wash gear, etc, etc. So as you can maybe imagine it's a fair old mass on the back of the bike.
Sadly, Givi have not come up with any pannier rails yet, so I bit the bullet and bought Guzzi's own system of alloy panniers. 33ltr exhaust side, 38ltr on the offside. Nice panniers, downside is the rails are permanently on the bike, I was hoping for the Givi quick release ones, I really dislike the look of all that scaffolding on the back of the bike.
I've weighed all my camping gear before and it weighs about 7st in old money. Suspensions adjusted accordingly and off we go. I was pleasantly surprised at how the little Guzzi performed. It still felt well balanced and handled the extra weight very well indeed. A little more throttle was needed for overtakes and steep hills etc, but overall I was well happy with the performance, handling was hardly effected and when coming to a standstill at junctions and the like I felt very comfortable and balanced, something I've often struggled with on the Tiger 1200, the Stelvio and the GS. Overall very happy with the bike whilst fully loaded. We arrived in Dent on Friday having met up in Otley , then had a run around the 5 passes in Cumbria on Saturday (thanks Paul). The run from Otley was fully loaded the run around the 5passes was with everything including panniers off the bike. The group included 2 1250 gas's, 3 1200 gs's, 1 1200 super Tenere, 1 Z100 sx ? and one Versy's 650. I wouldn't say the pace was blistering but neither was it bimbling. Clearly the bigger bikes had more grunt and on the faster roads the Guzzi needed to be worked a little harder but I never felt it was left wanting, on the more technical roads I felt it was in it's element and for me was much nicer on these roads than the bigger bikes I've previously owned, although it could do with a suspension upgrade to get the best out of these roads, as it can get a little choppy at times when the speed increases.

Riding home on my own at a slightly slower pace and the bike is everything I need and want. Yes, I miss a bit of grunt for overtakes when loaded and they do take a bit more planning, but I can live with that.

Overall what can I say, it's an absolute cracking little bike will do everything I need and want and doesn't cost 17k. Servicing is also a piece of cake.
As an aside I've just swapped my 1100 Griso for an absolutely mint 1200 SE Griso, it's gorgeous and rides beautifully.

Back
Top Bottom