Not sure what it would ride like!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1566116241404.jpg
    FB_IMG_1566116241404.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 415
  • FB_IMG_1566116230217.jpg
    FB_IMG_1566116230217.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 407
That was my first thought, but reading his posts it seems it's his choice and never uses a sidecar!

Speaking to some fellas with Gold Wings at ferry terminal once - they were saying that car tyres were a popular choice for those bikes!

It's an American thing......

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Maybe lives close by, and it is his daily ride.

North Dakota claims to be home to the longest straight road in the country. State Highway 46 covers 124 miles of Midwestern prairie between the communities of Streeter and Lithia.

The topic of using car tyres on bikes nearly caused WW3 a few years ago. One side will say it works amazingly well and they get huge mileage out of them and the other side will say you are going to die and your not insured anyway. Either way it's not uncommon especially in the states with huge long straight roads. In nanny state UK where you can't even have an electric scooter, it's probably not a good idea.

Last edited:
Go to AdvRider, search “Darkside”

Every thing you need on this and more is there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's illegal in UK.

Can't think why.
If it is speed rated, and it surely is, then it may or may not be foolish, but then again,
there are multitutes of people on this site with definitively illegal bikes: E.G number plates, saucepipes etc.

Would like to try it sometime to see how good or bad it is, but am not willing to damage my bike nor self if it went wrong.
Just for the fun of it, not for serious riding.

Can't think why.
If it is speed rated, and it surely is, then it may or may not be foolish, but then again,
there are multitutes of people on this site with definitively illegal bikes: E.G number plates, saucepipes etc.

Would like to try it sometime to see how good or bad it is, but am not willing to damage my bike nor self if it went wrong.
Just for the fun of it, not for serious riding.

Unsuitable tyre.
Car tyre doesn't match bike rim fully.
Profile unsuitable.
Sidewalls mostly excessively flexible for a motorcycle.

It's illegal in UK.

Actually it isn't.
It would constitute using a motorvehicle in a dangerous condition, which is an offence in itself, but could also constitute Dangerous Driving, due to the condition of the vehicle.
It would contravene construction and use regulations, and thats only the ones I can think of after 10 seconds, any longer than that and my brain starts to hurt these days.

Actually it isn't.
It would constitute using a motorvehicle in a dangerous condition, which is an offence in itself, but could also constitute Dangerous Driving, due to the condition of the vehicle.
It would contravene construction and use regulations, and thats only the ones I can think of after 10 seconds, any longer than that and my brain starts to hurt these days.

I misread that.
In my defence my dog is dying and I'm a bit of a mess, and I'm looking for any distraction, but sorry anyway.

I misread that.
In my defence my dog is dying and I'm a bit of a mess, and I'm looking for any distraction, but sorry anyway.

Sorry about your dog......I understand

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Motorcycle tyres are made to have a consistent footprint whatever the lean angle. The shape is a bit like a joiner's biscuit, maybe 3-4" long. At the correct pressures you generally have the same amount of tyre in contact with the road surface while riding. The problem with a car tyre isn't just that the sidewall construction is different or that your insurance would be void, or that the bike wouldn't be road legal, but that the amount of rubber in contact with the road would decrease significantly as soon as you try to turn. On a bike that handles decently it seems an odd choice.

Made me think back to the days of the Avon Mk2, a very square tyre for a motorcycle.

Back
Top Bottom