Looking for some advice...

Flyingdutchman

Reaction score
Just sold my 09 GSA and am looking to replace it with something a bit fresher.

One of the options is a 2013 GSA, last of the air cooled in mint condition I’ve been told with only 6100 miles.

Is there anything about that model year (probably a 2012 bike) worth knowing in particular?

I’m looking to spend around 10K and this bike is exactly that. Bike prices in Ireland are considerably higher here so will be looking across the water as well.

Any advice is appreciated.

One of the options is a 2013 GSA, last of the air cooled in mint condition I’ve been told with only 6100 miles.

Is there anything about that model year (probably a 2012 bike) worth knowing in particular?

I’m looking to spend around 10K and this bike is exactly that. Bike prices in Ireland are considerably higher here so will be looking across the water as well.

Sounds a lot of ££ to me. £8-8.5k from a dealer seems more market value. Others may say different.

I'd only say that low mileage is not necessarily a good thing. Machines like to be used... low mileage means is been standing for long periods...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

In all fairness the seller is asking 10,500 Euro which is probably closer to 9500 pounds.

A thousand Km a year is not much but it was used, and there are years I don’t do much more lol

Question is what else can you get around that 10K mark in either currency and is a later LC model with more miles a better option...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 aircooled GSA is best of the bunch and a fully sorted bike , UK mainland bikes were very well specced up with all the kit including panniers .

IMHO a late TC aircooled is a far better bike than an pre 2016 GSA LC

If its been serviced competently every year, brake fluid every other etc then I wold have no qualms about buying such a bike. A low mileage bike that hasn't been serviced other than at mileage intervals on the other hand might give me some pause, or at least a good reason to haggle ;)

Bike had an annual service as far as I can see by stamps in book.

The idea is growing on me and it does come with full luggage and Nav as well as some other bits.

Think a trip down the country is on the cards...

But then I saw a nice KTM 1190 S on here too lol

Bike had an annual service as far as I can see by stamps in book.

The idea is growing on me and it does come with full luggage and Nav as well as some other bits.

Think a trip down the country is on the cards...

But then I saw a nice KTM 1190 S on here too lol

Don't dismiss the KTM, they're a cracking bike :D

Ok, Immaculate R1200GS Adventure 2013 TC with 6100 miles or 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure S in superb condition...

I’ve never ridden a KTM but really like the look of them and I think they would suit my 6ft4” frame.

Chain or shaft...

Ok, Immaculate R1200GS Adventure 2013 TC with 6100 miles or 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure S in superb condition...

I’ve never ridden a KTM but really like the look of them and I think they would suit my 6ft4” frame.

Chain or shaft...

Go ride them both & then decide...:D

Easy now, don't be hasty. While the GSA cant be described as looking more than utilitarian at best, KTMs are just fugly. Way too much of the transformer style that seems modern with many brands...

A well maintained 2013 GSA is probably as reliable as they come. I got some 70k troublefree miles on my 2010. the 13 is hardly worse. And no, I don't think its pretty, but its not a transformer ;)

I'd much rather consider a Multistrada Enduro than a KTM of any sort if for looks, or any Ducati for that matter.

the only thing that might be better would be a 1250....
price of a mint low mile air cooled Adventure with the right toys (heated grips, alarm, ABS, TPMS, aux lights, full luggage) is easily 5k more than a 2014 LC. If I could find a good one I happily go to 11k GBP

as the good BMW bike dealers say oh you've got a proper one !!!

My mate has a K1600 and although it’s a great bike it doesn’t really suit my riding.

The 09 I sold yesterday was my first GSA and it fitted me like a glove. Loved the riding position, low center of gravity and even the way it looked.

Going to look at the 2013 TC on Thursday. Spoke to the current owner today and the bike is in mint condition. It’s a UK bike with all the bits including full set of luggage and has bits added such as headlight protector, mudsling, crashbar bags etc.

I also quite like the look of the KTM though, Rasher’s 1190 Adventure S features on my shortlist as well but my heart is currently with the GSA.

Going to look at this on Thursday. It's a 4 hour drive so I'll make a decision when I'm there I guess. Any pointers as what to look for? Bike has now done 6300 miles just. Only difference with the one I had is this is a TC. The owner told me it is on it's original tyres and that they are fine because of the low miles and storage indoors. Would that be right with it being a 2013 bike?

Any tips/suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

• ZmNjYWQzYjE4NmJkYTUxZGZjMGM0MDMyYzU0YTZmZDdIyNCQnrKXDxWkN-djgJekaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF.jpeg
    ZmNjYWQzYjE4NmJkYTUxZGZjMGM0MDMyYzU0YTZmZDdIyNCQnrKXDxWkN-djgJekaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 221
Probably need a set of tyres so factor that in when you come to haggle him down. But its probably the best sorted bike of all the BMW's i had a 13 plate one and it was faultless.

Agree 6 year old tires that's done 6k miles are due for a change. I'd check the final drive for play, but you're most probably not gonna feel any abnormal play. Take a close look over it and if it looks alright and rides alright it's most probably alright. The hexheads from 2010 on are well sorted bikes.

Thanks for the pointers lads. The seller mentioned that the dealer had said the tires were 'fine' at the last service but I would change them no doubt. Somethings you cant see from the outside!

Could there be play on the final drive after just 6k miles? I'll give it a wiggle anyway...

Back
Top Bottom