Vibration through seat - 1250GS

hornet01uk

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm after some help and advice please. I'm experiencing some harsh vibration through the seat on my 1250GS. I thought initially it was down to worn tyres but I've had new tyres fitted and balanced since I discovered the vibration and there was no appreciable difference.
It starts happening after I've been on the bike around an hour or so and is prominent above 4.5k revs. Before the hour is passed the bike feels fine. On checking the bike over after riding for an hour all I can find is that the final drive casing is very hot, almost too hot to keep your hand on it and the back wheel feels like it may be binding, definitely not turning as freely as when everything is cold. I suspect a tight bearing or incorrect end float. Does anyone have any experience in this issue? Anyone confirm if their final drive casing is very hot after an hour or so in the saddle? How about the wheel turning freely when hot? I've changed the oil in the final drive and greased the splines.
As a side note
I took the bike to my dealer who had it for a day and said it felt exactly the same as thier demo.
I'I didnt have time to ride thier demo but I'll get it booked soon to make my own mind up.
If I'm not convinced I'll get BMW UK involved.
Thanks in advance for any responses.
Tony.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

It's the inner R1200 trying to get out....

I have a 1200 LC GS and recently had a 1250 loan bike. They both vibrated through the bars, seat and footrests exactly the same at 75 mph.

This cannot be right. The GS doesn’t vibrate; I read it here.

Neither does it throw the rider off in the middle of a motorway :eek::comfort:green gri:D

Are you sure about that? :augie

I refer you to several cases of loose spokes & wheels collapsing, and more than one person has been seriously injured. ;)

Mine does this too. Just had 6000 mile service and was assured all is well. Their demo bike that they game me did not have the vibrations. The dealer suggested it may well be my tyres and it could be. They are pretty squared off and need replacing. They also said they could need the tracking looked at..

I am going to get new boots on the bike next month so will see if that improves things.

I had a friends 1250 for a day recently and for a new bike, I thought it was very harsh and vibey through the foot pegs.
I also noticed while pushing it around my back yard that it felt like something was binding (intermittent on a wheel revolution)

He failed to notice (or refused) it.

Sent from a U11

Thanks all for your replies. I don't think the excessive heat of the final drive casing and binding of the back wheel is normal.
I'm going to pursue this with BMW uk.

Cheers.

Tony.

Thanks all for your replies. I don't think the excessive heat of the final drive casing and binding of the back wheel is normal.
I'm going to pursue this with BMW uk.

Cheers.

Tony.

Excessive heat of the FD casing is not normal, read thread below, I have done tons of tests on the heat on my FD for Neil in Jersey who has had his FD changed for the heat reason, my FD only gets a tad hotter when shuffling at hardly any speed in the city, and when its hot outside, otherwise, my FD is only lukewarm, or slightly hot, and can keep my hand on it no problem at all.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...t-again-WTF/page18?highlight=final+drive+heat

Back
Top Bottom