Low miles good or bad?

Flyingdutchman

Reaction score
I've been reading various threads on high and low mileage bikes and peoples experience.

The 2013 GSA TC I'm going to look at, and hopefully purchase, tomorrow has 6400 miles on the clock, about 10K Kilometers. That's an average of only 1000 miles per year.

According to some that could be an issue as the bike hasn't been 'properly' used.

I know it's on the original tyres so those I will change as they are 6 years old.

The bike has had it's annual services by the original supplying dealer.

Would you classify this as 'dangerously' low miles?

S.

It wouldn't put me off in the least, better that than a bike that's been thrashed and wheelied for 40k miles IMHO. But then, if the tyres looked ok, I would just run them too.

Good luck. :thumb2

I presume it’s not a dealer bike? The tyers are well past their best. I wouldn’t let the low mileage put me off. It would be in the back of my mind that there may be outstanding recalls or issues waiting to show up. If it’s not a dealer bike I’d expect it to be priced accordingly. If it it’s the right bike at the right price go for it. JJH

It’s not a dealer bike but it has been serviced regularly so would expect any recalls to be taken care off or is that wishful thinking on my part?

For peace of mind I would change the tyres and put fresh rubber on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not a dealer bike but it has been serviced regularly so would expect any recalls to be taken care off or is that wishful thinking on my part?

For peace of mind I would change the tyres and put fresh rubber on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As I said if the price is right ect. The 1 year warranty from a dealer is well worth the extra in my opinion. Of course many will agree and many won’t. Then I’ve had very good service from my dealer. JJH

How times change, in the old days you seen an advert or heard bike was for sale, you turned up, gave it the look over, paid your dosh and rode home, the only bike I ever had a slight problem with was a Harley dyna, changed engine mount and bike was fine again, if I had seen a bike with so little KM,s on the clock in them days I would have snapped it up, and yes as has been said, new tyres and full service, and hopefully be happy, sometimes people buy bikes, and then work changes planning and bike does not get out, happened to me quite a few years ago with a T100, however as has been said getting a 2 year warranty from a dealer is not to be sniffed at, so price has to be really good.

How times change, in the old days you seen an advert or heard bike was for sale, you turned up, gave it the look over, paid your dosh and rode home, the only bike I ever had a slight problem with was a Harley dyna, changed engine mount and bike was fine again, if I had seen a bike with so little KM,s on the clock in them days I would have snapped it up, and yes as has been said, new tyres and full service, and hopefully be happy, sometimes people buy bikes, and then work changes planning and bike does not get out, happened to me quite a few years ago with a T100, however as has been said getting a 2 year warranty from a dealer is not to be sniffed at, so price has to be really good.

In the old days a bike was a means of transportation. Nowadays it’s classed as a leisure vechicle so people buy them as toys. Hence the low mileage and blinged up to the last. JJH

In the old days a bike was a means of transportation. Nowadays it’s classed as a leisure vechicle so people buy them as toys. Hence the low mileage and blinged up to the last. JJH

Do not say the word Bl..g otherwise the flying scotsman will arrive. :D

I've been reading various threads on high and low mileage bikes and peoples experience.

The 2013 GSA TC I'm going to look at, and hopefully purchase, tomorrow has 6400 miles on the clock, about 10K Kilometers. That's an average of only 1000 miles per year.
S.

envy is far more likely to be an issue than lack of use

so long as it was inside no issues at all - you' need to do all this but that's on any BM you buy

the battery will need replacing they do 5 years
the ABS will die at 7 years (they are designed to fail) it has nothing whatsoever to do with use or fluid age,
the heated grips might also fail at 7 years
and the TPMS batteries will go at 9 years...
any newer BM will do the same but in 4 to 5 years

so long as it was inside no issues at all - you' need to do all this but that's on any BM you buy

the ABS will die at 7 years (they are designed to fail) it has nothing whatsoever to do with use or fluid age,

Which is all total and utter bollocks !

I thought of another way to answer your point on 6400 miles

if there was another in the same condition with 3000 miles I'd buy the 3k one
if there's another one in great condition at 15k miles I wouldn't buy it....

whilst they'll do 100k I don't want half used corroded wreck - money wouldn't be a factor

Batteries are lottery can fail at any time

ABS I think not

Heated grips never used mine yet

TPMS batteries quite normal if you get 9 years total result they are simple 2032 batteries

new BMW to self consume in 4 to 5 years maybe beaver said so. :D

:beer:

I bought a 2012 TC last year with 4500 miles on the clock. Threw 2 tyres on it just to be safe, in my eyes it was a practically new bike for a fraction of the cost!

Part of how I figure it, if a bike hasn't been ridden properly while still under warranty, there is a risk that the initial faults that do tend to pop up in the beginning doesn't pop up until later, when the bikes no longer under warranty and then it can get rather expensive to fix things.

There is also a tendency among owners of low mileage bikes to have a, in my perspective, a unrealistic view of how much a in their eyes "almost new" bike is worth.

I'd rather buy a newer bike that been ridden more than a older bike that's been ridden less all else being equal.

I figure most things develop faults like mechanical hard drives, either they die early in their life or not until they're worn out properly.

But I may be wrong :)

Lucky you, go for it....the best of the 1200 hexheads....2012 on means there are no recalls. My 2013 bike has original battery, nothing gone wrong with it ( that’s blown it) no corrosion lots of miles. Only issue I have had is paint starting to lift on leading side of cam covers due to stone chips....otherwise fine and still love it. A new 1250 is better but no where near £11k better (cost to change)....not even close.

Get AFXIED units, easy to fit and transforms the bikes fuelling and smoothness.

Back
Top Bottom