Berchtesgaden pension.

Deleted account 220319001

Reaction score
I'm struggling to find a decent, cheapish pension in the Berchtesgaden area for the end of next week, any recommendations or is it just a busy time next weekend ?

Alternatively Zell am See in Austria.

There used to be a Tourist Office near the railway station, we just rocked up and they found us some rooms just out of town

What’s your idea of cheapish, for a night’s stay?

Booking.com is listing a free cancellation, two night stay, 2.5m from the middle of Zell am See for £70 or near enough a night, next Friday and Saturday nights.

What’s your idea of cheapish, for a night’s stay?

Booking.com is listing a free cancellation, two night stay, 2.5m from the middle of Zell am See for £70 or near enough a night, next Friday and Saturday nights.

2.5m isn't exactly close though not that I'm bothered about being centre but Zell am See does seem to offer more at the moment where Berchtesgaden seems to have nothing much.

There used to be a Tourist Office near the railway station, we just rocked up and they found us some rooms just out of town

That may well be a plan though not so sure about rocking up late in the day on a Friday and hoping it'll be fine.

Germans are on holiday in August cabby, and weather has only just shown itself, so they are all scarpering on last minute jaunts, I would not bet on finding something last minute, maybe look in another area, to be on the safe side.

Germans are on holiday in August cabby, and weather has only just shown itself, so they are all scarpering on last minute jaunts, I would not bet on finding something last minute, maybe look in another area, to be on the safe side.

Checked out a few places just over the border in Austria so will have a look at them.

As stated, it will be very busy at the moment. You could try looking closer to Salzburg for more choice. It's a nice city and it's not to far from B'garden. Just a short bus ride if you don't want to walk around in all your bike clobber. You could also visit the salt mines as well.
You get a fantastic view from B'garden, but give it a miss if it's cloudy or raining, - you wont see anything.

Having just come back through Zell am See last week, it’s quite a long town. At 5 pm on Sunday it was all but shut. Nothing seemed open. I booked a hotel just outside the town ( or so I thought) in nearby Kaprun. It was actually half way up the next pass and had to either eat dinner or shower as they were closing the restaurant. I even got the choice of schnitzel or ghoulash! Hotels.com had it listed as 1 mile from town centre of Kaprun . I’d book ahead and look at the routes/area carefully.
08d977a9f08d3c1be84cc88c5b3092dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having just come back through Zell am See last week, it’s quite a long town. At 5 pm on Sunday it was all but shut. Nothing seemed open. I booked a hotel just outside the town ( or so I thought) in nearby Kaprun. It was actually half way up the next pass and had to either eat dinner or shower as they were closing the restaurant. I even got the choice of schnitzel or ghoulash! Hotels.com had it listed as 1 mile from town centre of Kaprun . I’d book ahead and look at the routes/area carefully.
08d977a9f08d3c1be84cc88c5b3092dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ideally hoping to go up the eagles nest in B'gaden as we're heading to the dolomites so Zell am See is on route but if we go there we'd have to double back.

As stated, it will be very busy at the moment. You could try looking closer to Salzburg for more choice. It's a nice city and it's not to far from B'garden. Just a short bus ride if you don't want to walk around in all your bike clobber. You could also visit the salt mines as well.
You get a fantastic view from B'garden, but give it a miss if it's cloudy or raining, - you wont see anything.

Went up the eagles nest a couple year ago and seen absolutely nothing due to cloud cover so I know what you mean, though suggested to my mate it's worth the trip if it's a clear day.

How many people do you need a room (s) for ?

Just the pair of us JB.

Aye the plan is to wing it once into Italy though it's my mates first time and think he's a bit nervous of sleeping rough in thunderstorms

Aye the plan is to wing it once into Italy though it's my mates first time and think he's a bit nervous of sleeping rough in thunderstorms

You might end up sleeping with the sheep like JB, get something booked weather is nice, they are all on their way, half my street has just left, and they normally go 1st week of August.

Give the Pension Hubertus a try in Zell am See, 3 minutes stroll from the town centre but quiet with a decent car park, been stopping there for 5 years

Back
Top Bottom