Mitas Rally Tyres - 80% Off-Road 20% Road

Took bike out today for a couple of hours shakedown.... no rumble from these tyres at all, nothing to mention anyways.

Front seemed 'heavier' for some reason to start with.

Heat soaked the tyres and scrubbed them in, so let them settle overnight now.

So far, so good.

Also, there were no issues with DCT working correctly with the minor change in rear tyre size

Spent the weekend at Sweet Lamb Training, great fun on these tyres.

They're brilliant. Good road manners as well.

Aired the pressures down to 26 psi front and 20 psi rear.

Higher pressure at front was needed on my bike because heavy front end. Yours may be different if you don't have a load of Altrider metal hardware bolted to your bike.

Spent the weekend at Sweet Lamb Training, great fun on these tyres.

They're brilliant. Good road manners as well.

Aired the pressures down to 26 psi front and 20 psi rear.

Higher pressure at front was needed on my bike because heavy front end. Yours may be different if you don't have a load of Altrider metal hardware bolted to your bike.

They look great are they much better than the karoos?

They look great are they much better than the karoos?

Well, let's define 'better' first.

Better = off-road performance. These Mitas grip way more when you have the bike banked over on a fast turn. Not tried them in deep mud yet. Although I have got used to them on-road, but not exceeded 70mph on them, as I just don't need to. I wouldn't want to go full tilt into a corner on them just yet, until I've got used to them and their handling characteristics. But, they do handle ok in the dry. Not tried the wet on-road yet.

The Karoo3 tyres are better for on-road performance. They have less rolling resistance and don't feel as heavy. Karoo3 tyres were ok off-road in the dry, but lack side grip turning on the slippy stuff.

I've been training at Sweet Lamb over this weekend, so I know a lot of my grip failings have been technique. But you only have to look at the Karoo3 tyres compared to the Mitas E-13 and there is a HUGE different in tread depth and side wall knobs.

When I arrived Mark Molineux (Molly) commented straight off how I had the right tyres for the off-road weekend. He really liked them. However, interestingly he only aired down the front tyre by 3 Psi, as the front end is so heavy.

Anyways, here's a short video of 'some' of the riding I was doing with the Beginners training group. I wasn't allowed to record any of the tuition or training, only some of the warm up and practice rides.

I would highly recommend Sweet Lamb Adventure Bike Academy and I will be going again soon.

https://youtu.be/LAgvUQ52wyw

Back
Top Bottom