Mitas Rally Tyres - 80% Off-Road 20% Road

Warlord

Do Not Resuscitate
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've been using the Metzeller Karoo 3 tyres for the past 2 years. In fact, I've just fitted a brand new set. They are a 50% Off-Road and 50% Road tyre.

They've been great in the dry on gravel, rocks, dirt and really good on road use. But they are rubbish in mud.

So even though they are pretty new, I've decided to change them.

The Africa Twin tyre sizes are:-

Front : 90/90 21
Rear : 150/70 18

BUT.....

I really like the look of the new Mitas E12 and E13 Rally Star Tyres as they are 80% Off-Road and 20% Road (and paired together are supposed to be great).

The Mitas E13 Rally Star is a 90/90 21 size, which is great. Mitas only make this size in this tyre.
The Mitas E12 Rally is a 140/80 18 size, which isn't the right size. Mitas only make this size in this tyre.

So I've ordered them anyways.

I was just wondering if the very small difference in circumference would upset the DCT MODES? :nenau

Anyone, care to take a guess??

Attachments

• Mitas E12 Rally.jpg
    Mitas E12 Rally.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 1,515
  • Mitas E13 Rally.jpg
    Mitas E13 Rally.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 1,760
I've been using the Metzeller Karoo 3 tyres for the past 2 years. In fact, I've just fitted a brand new set. They are a 50% Off-Road and 50% Road tyre.

They've been great in the dry on gravel, rocks, dirt and really good on road use. But they are rubbish in mud.

So even though they are pretty new, I've decided to change them.

The Africa Twin tyre sizes are:-

Front : 90/90 21
Rear : 150/70 18

BUT.....

I really like the look of the new Mitas E12 and E13 Rally Star Tyres as they are 80% Off-Road and 20% Road (and paired together are supposed to be great).

The Mitas E13 Rally Star is a 90/90 21 size, which is great. Mitas only make this size in this tyre.
The Mitas E12 Rally is a 140/80 18 size, which isn't the right size. Mitas only make this size in this tyre.

So I've ordered them anyways.

I was just wondering if the very small difference in circumference would upset the DCT MODES? :nenau

Anyone, care to take a guess??

Might show a quicker speed but nothing else IMO you can check speed using tool below.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=150-70r18-140-80r18

Nah I reckon between 5 and 10 km/h might also just watch out for tyre rubbing when fairly new, thats about all I can think of.

Well the good thing about these new tyres is they are Tube Tyres, whereas the Karoo3 are Tubeless. So they'll run cooler hopefully.

Will be interesting to see if I notice much difference off-road.

I'm sure they'll be better off road but not as good on road....The price you pay.
I saw Adventure spec were pushing some new brand which did everything better than all the others (of course), but looked interesting for bigger bikes.

I'm sure they'll be better off road but not as good on road....The price you pay.
I saw Adventure spec were pushing some new brand which did everything better than all the others (of course), but looked interesting for bigger bikes.

Yeah that's ok. Although I use this bike on road, it's only to get to the next off-road trail. It's primarily my off-road bike.

The only downside, after hours of off-roading I'm then usually hours from home on an on-road return journey.

Which is why I've been usin 50/50 tyres up until now.

New tyres arrived today.

Mitas E-12 Rally Star - Rear
Mitas E-13 Rally Star - Front

Massive more tread compared to Metzeller Karoo 3 tyres.

Attachments

• Mitas7.jpg
    Mitas7.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 1,559
  • Mitas6.jpg
    Mitas6.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,428
  • Mitas5.jpg
    Mitas5.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 1,384
  • Mitas2.jpg
    Mitas2.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 1,413
  • Mitas1.jpg
    Mitas1.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 1,544
Both these tyre sets are BRAND NEW.

The Metzeller Karoo 3 tyre set has only done 250 miles maximum, so hardly used at all.

The Mitas E12 and E13 Rally Star tyres have much deeper tread patterns and the front tyre (E13 Rally Star) is a BEAST.... knobs practically on the side walls !! :beerjug::bounce1

Can't wait to get them fitted now

Those Mitas should help prevent the problem you had skipping to the side when you binned it! I have Pirelli Scorpions on the Husky, they are very stable passing side to side over uneven stuff. OK on road as well, I was expecting them to be shite, but you might get a bit more block movement with the weight of the AT.

Those Mitas should help prevent the problem you had skipping to the side when you binned it! I have Pirelli Scorpions on the Husky, they are very stable passing side to side over uneven stuff. OK on road as well, I was expecting them to be shite, but you might get a bit more block movement with the weight of the AT.

What actually surprised me was how little tread the front Karoo 3 tyre has in comparison.

These E-13 tyres are like a never ending row of sharks teeth.

:)

What actually surprised me was how little tread the front Karoo 3 tyre has in comparison.

These E-13 tyres are like a never ending row of sharks teeth.

:)

Next warlord movie, jaws the return. ;) just be careful they do not dig in to much and you go flying forward.

I'm no expert, but love my motoz tractionator adventure rear and TKC80 front.. Unicorn tyre combo.

I'm no expert, but love my motoz tractionator adventure rear and TKC80 front.. Unicorn tyre combo.

Sounds good.

These E-12 and E-13 combo are supposed to be great... bloody hope so :D

Got the Mitas E-12 Rally Star and E-13 Rally Star tyres fitted today.

Look good, lets hope they work :blast:D

Attachments

• Mitas and Metzeller.jpg
    Mitas and Metzeller.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 530
  • Fitted1.jpg
    Fitted1.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 547
  • Fitted2.jpg
    Fitted2.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 525
  • Fitted3.jpg