2011 r1200gs oil light in traffic

Jonnirocket

Reaction score
Hi l am just doing a 4,000km round trip and while in France 30deg C my oil light warning came on while in traffic, oil is topped up level ok engine temp is normal, wandering if oil cooler is OK? Has anyone experienced this, or can advise, Cheers

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Yes I have had it on my 2011 GSA just the once though. Was in hot weather in slow traffic, like you. Oil temp gauge at the top of the normal range so should be ok. Plenty oil in the engine but I topped up a bit anyway when I stopped next. I don’t have a proper idea on why it does this. The other symptom when it’s hot like this is poor tickover and stalling when it is hard to restart as the starter can only turn the engine slowly. I everything is getting too hot increasing internal friction and / or the starter motor itself is hot and can’t turn properly.

Yes I have had it on my 2011 GSA just the once though. Was in hot weather in slow traffic, like you. Oil temp gauge at the top of the normal range so should be ok. Plenty oil in the engine but I topped up a bit anyway when I stopped next. I don’t have a proper idea on why it does this. The other symptom when it’s hot like this is poor tickover and stalling when it is hard to restart as the starter can only turn the engine slowly. I everything is getting too hot increasing internal friction and / or the starter motor itself is hot and can’t turn properly.
Yes l.have no idea either as it has just started doing it, worried it could be oil pump? Anyhow when l get home l will change the oil to higher viscosity, at the moment I'm doing 400+km per day and at the end of the days ride it starts playing up...the ambient is 30degC.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I got this on my hexhead,

Vary hot day and bike hot,

changed the oil as it was suspect, dropped in some new 10/40 and it went away

then i reflushed it 1k later and put in 20/50

not seen it since

You need the 20/ 50 in this hot weather; semi or dino; the 10/ 40 is just a bit to pissy.

Back
Top Bottom