Handguard options for R100GS

ChasF

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I don’t have any handguards fitted at the moment as the originals a pretty scruffy. I don’t really need serious protection as the bike isn’t used much ‘off road’. I’m considering getting some new original fitment but thought I’d look into other retro options - HPN for example (although I’m not sure I’ll live long enough to get some even if I ordered them today).

If your not in a hurry you can watch ebay for a set of the acerbis/touratech ones that have the modified bar insert to accommodate the heated grip wiring.

Just ordered a set of universal Barkbuster VPS guards and wind deflectors for another bike, but if you can wait a week or so I can offer them up to the GS and see if they fit.
In Oz they cost around the same as the BMW OEM kit.

Actually, I probably have a set of original style Barkbusters with large white ATV style windshields lying around somewhere which were on the G/S when I bought it.

You can have them for the price of postage. They are big enough to do the job , unlike a lot of stuff where style seems to have overtaken function.
Maybe they only suit fat bars, will check- unless you want the fat bars too!

Finally received the Barkbuster VPS guards, takes longer to get things from Brisbane that from China.
I ordered the universal guards with a single fixing at the inner end, and they certainly wont fit an airhead, as the are designed to clamp to the bars in between the switches and the lever clamps.
Which of course is not possible where the switches are combined with the levers.
I have the BMW guards on my /7 , G/S and GS and they are the way to go if you can find them.

What are the handguard options for a R100GSPD with heated grips? on eBay it says the BarkBusters guards are not suitable with heated grips as they interfear with the wiring.

Depends which heated grips.

If you're using BMW heated grips, then they won't work because of the wiring. However, you may look at Acewell Heated grips, which I believe work with the BarkBusters.

I use Oxford heated grips with Acerbis hand guards. The wire for the grips doesn't have to pass through the end of the bars. Plus they are much better than the BMW originals. When fitting guards with expanding bolts in the bars, don't over-tighten, it can distort the shape of the bars and stop the throttle from working properly.

Back
Top Bottom