Did you take out an extended Warranty for your R1200GS LC

Did you 1200GS LC need repairing outside the factory warranty period

• I took out the extended warranty but have not had to claim

Votes: 55 38.5%
  • I took out the extended warranty and have made at least 1 claim

Votes: 24 16.8%
  • I did not take out an extended warranty and nothing has gone wrong with my bike sinse

Votes: 46 32.2%
  • I did not take out an extended warranty and have had to pay for repair(s) myself in full

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • I did not take out an extended warranty and BMW contributed towards the repair(s)

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • I did not take out an extended warranty and BMW covered all the costs of the repair(s)

Votes: 8 5.6%

• Total voters
Makes you wonder why we buy the brand doesn't it. If you told someone about the claim rates who didn't have one they'd say we were mad....perhaps we are. You can get an extended 5 year factory warranty on a Kawasaki for less than 12 months premium on a Beemer...

Go and have a good read of the various brands warranties and see what they cover and how good a dealership network they have.
I am having a guess here, but I would think that the percentage of BMW riders that take their bikes abroad is higher than the other brands. If you are one of those who do then the extensive coverage is reassuring.
I have been on trips when friends have had issues with their bikes, the grief that they had trying to sort out the problem is no fun and in all non bmw instances involved them finding their own way home and dealing with their holiday cover company later.
Yes BMW cover is very expensive and doesn't seem like value for money, if you never take your bike abroad then don't take the cover.
I am in the fortunate position of being able to take my bike abroad whenever I like, and do. So for me it's a no brainer.

I dont have a BMW anymore but a few years back we were in Austria and a mate lost his fob on a keyless K16 and BMW assist flew him home gave him a BMW car at the airport and delivered the bike back to him, that's what you pay for!

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

I got the extended warranty free with my bike,

Ive called them last week to advise them of two faults that need rectifying ..

And if corrosion on the engine / cylinders is part of that warranty, then that wil be raised as well :)

I have always taken out the extended warranty on my bikes for the piece of mind when doing my Euro travels.
This March when my current bike came due for it's warranty renewal I, as I have always done, informed them of any modifications ie. a full exhaust system BMW said no thank you, goodbye.

My renewal for later this month has just arrived, gone up to £398, and no mention or allowance for the fact that the bike hasn't be used for the past two months or for the foreseeable future ! Don't think I'll be bothering.

Unlike many on here I’ve only owned two GS’s, a 2001 1150GS and a 2012 1200GSA. I’ve never taken out the extended warranty but I do like many tour extensively in Europe every year. I’ve only ever had one problem when away, that was on the 1150 in 2008 when in Garmisch and there was a short in the electrics which resulted in the wiring loom needing to be replaced which cost me around £1,000. Slight in convenience but the German dealer give me a loan bike for the 3 days it took to fix. My travel insurance paid for the additional nights hotel accommodation and also paid for a new ferry crossing, Amsterdam to Newcastle, for both myself and the friend I was travelling with. Seems to me that my travel insurance provided much of the benefit folk tout on here as the great thing about the BMW extended warranty, ie peace of mind that you’ll not be left stranded. Would the warranty have paid for re-booked ferry crossing and additional nights in hotels for both the policy holder and fellow traveler (on their own bike so effectively could have made their way back on their own) I think probably not. I effectively self insure for the warranty and by my calculations even allowing for the £1,000 to get the bike fixed in Germany I’m quids in. As for why we buy them if they are so unreliable, well in my experience they aren’t and they are just great bikes to ride, what other reason do you need.

Good point , but a riding mate had his 13 plate go bang , new engine , all finished shy of 8k , for him it was worth the cost .

My 2014 has been extended since 2017 and last year I broke down , requiring new Throttle body (£600) and finally new ECU (£1100+) plus loads of diagnostic Labour . The overall bill ( which was not disclosed ) was £2k+ ALL COVERED and not a penny to pay.
£44.10pcm = £529pa so that’s nearly four years of premiums covered !
Currently I have another issue , so another warranty claim may follow .
Peace of mind incl. BMW recovery . What’s not to like ?

My 2014 has been extended since 2017 and last year I broke down , requiring new Throttle body (£600) and finally new ECU (£1100+) plus loads of diagnostic Labour . The overall bill ( which was not disclosed ) was £2k+ ALL COVERED and not a penny to pay.

Apart from you’ve being paying the premium for 5-6 years so £2,645 or £3,174, so you still need that extra claim to hopefully break even. If providing extended warranties cost the supplier they wouldn’t do it, a bit like gambling the house always wins over time.

Yes but there’s another advantage ; it gets you quicker into the service department for your INEVITABLE repair
And request a loan vehicle to speed up the fix .

I find it unbelievable that people take out extended warranty. I never take any extra warranty, Not for TV's, Washing machines, Motorcycles...... I accept that "Things" fail. But I'm certain over the last 45 years of not buying extra warranty Ive saved so much money. Once you accept things fail, Your peace of mind argument becomes redundant.
So, What's not to like ? Giving money away to unnecessary insurance companies.

Look at the poll - 106 owners out of 135 didn't need it.

I find it unbelievable that people take out extended warranty. I never take any extra warranty, Not for TV's, Washing machines, Motorcycles...... I accept that "Things" fail. But I'm certain over the last 45 years of not buying extra warranty Ive saved so much money. Once you accept things fail, Your peace of mind argument becomes redundant.

Nice argument, so you have a spare 4K you could throw at your bike for one years rrunning if needs be?

Thats what mine has just cost me in the last year, and that was the first year of the extended warranty, and 1K of that i had to find myself !

i'm looking to go back to a twincam ,

It can be an expensive hobby !
I keep the money in my bin instead of insurance companies profit margins.

I worked out the sums for someone one day, based on owning my first vehicle in 1981 and sometimes owning 3 vehicles at the same time.

Just one vehicle would be, at today's prices: 42 x 400 = £16,800. Add in another vehicle from 1992 when I had my first motorcycle and you add another £12400. Probably 10 years with 2 bikes so another £4000. A total of £33,200 in insurance premiums I did not pay. I have not even spent a tenth of that on non-service vehicle repairs in those 42 years. Even if the final drive packs up on my RS I will be quids in over my motoring lifetime.

Back
Top Bottom