Did you take out an extended Warranty for your R1200GS LC

Did you 1200GS LC need repairing outside the factory warranty period

• I took out the extended warranty but have not had to claim

Votes: 55 38.5%
  • I took out the extended warranty and have made at least 1 claim

Votes: 24 16.8%
  • I did not take out an extended warranty and nothing has gone wrong with my bike sinse

Votes: 46 32.2%
  • I did not take out an extended warranty and have had to pay for repair(s) myself in full

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • I did not take out an extended warranty and BMW contributed towards the repair(s)

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • I did not take out an extended warranty and BMW covered all the costs of the repair(s)

Votes: 8 5.6%

• Total voters

littleade

Elderly twat
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The warranty on my GS expires in a few months so was wondering for those that have a 1200GS LC that's now over 2 years old did you take out a warranty or not? Have you had any problems with your bike since that you had fixed under warranty or either paid for it yourself or had a contribution from BMW either part or in full?

Hopefully I've been able to create a poll for you to pick an option and if you want to leave the details please feel free to add those below

TIA :beerjug:

No I didn't take extended Warranty

My bike is a March 2017 BMW R1200GS Adventure Triple Black.

BMW have never serviced it, I've done all my own servicing from new, including cam alignment and valve clearance checks.

Bike has now done 17,000 miles and os in mint condition.

Yes I've had issues:-

1) Front fog light failed - replaced under Warranty

2) Front Fork Collar - Fitted under recall notice

3) Final Drive & Shaft Rust, Damaged Rubber Boot - all replaced under warranty

4) 4 Loose wheel spokes - Tightened, but I replaced with Alloy Wheels at my own cost.

5) ESA Suspension Performance failure - Checked out OK with BMW. But I replaced and upgraded with Ohlins TTX setup.

6) Exhaust flapper valve squeaks - Greased it myself, but still squeaks during operation.

7) Heat from Exhaust Catalyst - May replace with decat exhaust in near future at my own expense.

Other than that, bike is great. I love it.

My theory is.... when BMW rubbish cheap parts fail... why replace them with cheap BMW rubbish parts which will fail again?

A) Recycling a brand new BMW on finance or not is not cost effective in my time or money. I don't want the hassle of visiting my BMW dealer every few months with a broken bike.

B) I'd prefer to run my current R1200 on a self service program and squeeze out as much value as I can while I have it. It's a good bike, no need to give it back yet as I'm still enjoying it.

Front Fork Collar - Fitted under recall notice

Is this still a problem on the 2017's? Mine does not have collars like they fitted to my 2015?

Is this still a problem on the 2017's? Mine does not have collars like they fitted to my 2015?

Should have had the collars, unless they deemed the distance to wide, and then they totally replaced the forks, mine is a 2017.5 bike and had the recall and collars fitted a few weeks after I bought it.

http://www.bmwbmw.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=22436

so a life and death issue identified in 2013/14 is still not fixed on 2017 bikes!!!!!....

mine in 2 in September... but I'll be asking AJ's if its needed!

so a life and death issue identified in 2013/14 is still not fixed on 2017 bikes!!!!!....

mine in 2 in September... but I'll be asking AJ's if its needed!

No such thing as if needed, if they have not replaced the forks already with new ones, you need to be asking why the recall collar has not been fitted before that bike got into your hands.

Yep I took out an extended warranty on my 66 plate GSA. £35 pm was a bargain given the fact that I’ve already had a new drive shaft replaced on the extended warranty - it had the dreaded corrosion.

It’s a no brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I had the 1200RT , rear ESA went pop. To replace it was £1200. The controller had to be replaced as well. That was £300/400? And labour let’s say couple of hours. So it’s around £1800/1900? At the time the warranty was £350 up front and you could pass it on to the next buyer. However there was a mileage limit which at the time was 18000miles. I understand now is 25000 miles.
I made the claim in the third year of ownership. You also have full recovery in Europe included.
It is an insurance policy, you may or not use it. I had a GAP insurance on my wife’s new car. In the first year I managed to roll the car and it was a write off. I was paid out in a week and my wife had a new car. No cost to me.

Sorry for the slight hyjack of the thread, but on the subject of the fork top collars I have this to add.
I bought my bike from AJ in Shipley when it was 12 months old, so i got 2 years warranty as an approved bike. When it went back in for a service (which i would rather have done myself and saved the money) it came back to me without having the top collars swapped. They told me there was at that time a shortage of parts, and i would have to bring it back later. The bike hasn't been back since as its now out of warranty, and i do the servicing myself.
Fast forward to this May, when I was unfortunate enough to slam the bike right into the back of a Ford Ranger pickup that had to do an emergency stop infront of me. I hit it so hard i went right over the screen and into the back of the pickup. The front wheel was pushed back into the Wunderlich engine plate which it did a good job of flattening, and bent both forks stantions like bananas. As far as i could see, and after very close inspection, both of the fork top caps were undamaged. Under what circumstances they fail is beyond me. As i said the front wheel went right back until it was solid up to the engine front cover, so you wouldnt be able to exert a lot more force onto the forks.
I replaced to forks with a good second hand pair which came in the std form ( without the upgraded top bushes) and i cant imagine i will both taking it in to have them swapped.
Stu

Sorry for the slight hyjack of the thread, but on the subject of the fork top collars I have this to add.
I bought my bike from AJ in Shipley when it was 12 months old, so i got 2 years warranty as an approved bike. When it went back in for a service (which i would rather have done myself and saved the money) it came back to me without having the top collars swapped. They told me there was at that time a shortage of parts, and i would have to bring it back later. The bike hasn't been back since as its now out of warranty, and i do the servicing myself.
Fast forward to this May, when I was unfortunate enough to slam the bike right into the back of a Ford Ranger pickup that had to do an emergency stop infront of me. I hit it so hard i went right over the screen and into the back of the pickup. The front wheel was pushed back into the Wunderlich engine plate which it did a good job of flattening, and bent both forks stantions like bananas. As far as i could see, and after very close inspection, both of the fork top caps were undamaged. Under what circumstances they fail is beyond me. As i said the front wheel went right back until it was solid up to the engine front cover, so you wouldnt be able to exert a lot more force onto the forks.
I replaced to forks with a good second hand pair which came in the std form ( without the upgraded top bushes) and i cant imagine i will both taking it in to have them swapped.
Stu

Here you go :beerjug: For those of us who don't go off road on their GS there's not much chance of having their forks collapse

http://bmwfatalflaw.com/

Mine hasn’t been done either, mine was a pre registered bike, the supplying dealer being the first keeper makes it even more surprising it hasn’t been done. I am shocked to say the least.

A recall is quite simple either under warranty or not, it is a security issue and needs to be done, those that have not had it done, need to simply go to their dealer, and say, fine see you in court, you will see how quickly they will be fixed, and if you have an idiot dealer email BMW UK asap.

A recall is quite simple either under warranty or not, it is a security issue and needs to be done, those that have not had it done, need to simply go to their dealer, and say, fine see you in court, you will see how quickly they will be fixed, and if you have an idiot dealer email BMW UK asap.

It's funny how an innocent thread topic unearths BMW failings still.

It's good that people are checking their bikes though.

- Leaking Calipers
- Fork Coller Recalls
- Loose Spokes on wheels
- Rusty shaft drives
- Squeaky Exhaust flaps
- Failed Catalysts
- Failed Camshafts

Fookin list is endless !!

It's funny how an innocent thread topic unearths BMW failings still.

It's good that people are checking their bikes though.

- Leaking Calipers
- Fork Coller Recalls
- Loose Spokes on wheels
- Rusty shaft drives
- Squeaky Exhaust flaps
- Failed Catalysts
- Failed Camshafts

Fookin list is endless !!
The biggest failures are us. The idiots who buy them.

The biggest failures are us. The idiots who buy them.

Bit unfair, as I've only bought one bike off BMW.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

:D

Quite like that one, must remember, at the moment do not feel fooled at all, it does all I could imagine and need.

Yeah, I like my Goldilocks R1200GS Adventure

It is a nice bike overall

Bit unfair, as I've only bought one bike off BMW.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

:D
I've been fooled three times although one was pre owned from a Honda dealer and I traded it in for a new one at BMW three weeks later.

Can't wait for the next time though! The Apple and Dyson of motorcycle manufacturers.

Back
Top Bottom