UK insurance over 90 days in continent?

Zorro

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am looking for insurance for a UK licenced bike that would allow more than 90 days in the continent (Spain and France mainly). Ideally I am after 180 days. Has anyone found a company that does this? Thanks.

Currently your UK insurance is legally good for unlimited periods in EU+.

After Brexit, nobody knows.

Thanks. My Carol Nash insurance limits each trip to 90 days (clause below).
Which company did you have in mind?

Section 4 - Foreign Use
The policy will provide the minimum insurance needed by the relevant law to allow you to use your vehicle:
In any country which is a member of the EU; and
In any other countries, which have made arrangements to meet the conditions of, and are approved by, the commission of the European Union. The full cover shown on your schedule will automatically apply when you travel to a country within the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, as long as each trip is for no more than 90 days. If you are travelling for more than 90 days or you are travelling to any other country and you need the full cover shown on your schedule, you must inform us. An additional premium may be payable.
All trips must be of a temporary nature and your permanent home is in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.

The first paragraph and the first sentence of the next bit says you are insured for use abroad. No time limit? Just at the minimum level required by the laws of that country.

The second bit, from “The full cover....” limits full cover to 90 days.

Therefore you are “fully”** covered for the first 90 days, after that cover drops to minimum required by the relevant country.

**. Full cover probably means the same as you have in the uk. But do check your policy.

I am looking for insurance for a UK licenced bike that would allow more than 90 days in the continent (Spain and France mainly). Ideally I am after 180 days. Has anyone found a company that does this? Thanks.

Make sure it covers you fully comp. I found out purely by accident that my car policy doesn't.

AFAIK (and I happy to be corrected) an insurance policy in one EU country is good in any other and without time limits for legal risks. If the vehicle is kept in one country for more than 6 months it should be registered and insured there.

Thanks. My plan is to leave a bike in the continent for 4 or 5 months over the summer. Ideally I am after having the ‘full insurance’ cover of the 90 days to be valid for the 4 or 5 months needed, rather than the ‘minimum’ cover after said 90 days.
Even though CN say there might be a premium, they would not even quote a price for this policy extension.

The first paragraph and the first sentence of the next bit says you are insured for use abroad. No time limit? Just at the minimum level required by the laws of that country.

The second bit, from “The full cover....” limits full cover to 90 days.

Therefore you are “fully”** covered for the first 90 days, after that cover drops to minimum required by the relevant country.

**. Full cover probably means the same as you have in the uk. But do check your policy.

Not quite correct, the wording does not say you are fully covered for the first 90 days. What it says is you are covered "as long as each trip is for no more than 90 days"

Subtle difference, but what I take from this is you are not covered at all for trips over 90 days (apart from minimum cover)

In event of claim, the insurer may ask you to prove the length of your trip (by way of return tunnel/ferry ticket?)

As ever, read your policy, and if in doubt, speak to your insurer

Be aware, if you leave the bike in Europe and return home then the policy cover is broken. CN in Ireland told me this. Insurers don't want you riding the bike abroad long term when they've calculated risk for IRL/UK.

Be aware, if you leave the bike in Europe and return home then the policy cover is broken. CN in Ireland told me this. Insurers don't want you riding the bike abroad long term when they've calculated risk for IRL/UK.

Read the policy not listen to the wisdom of someone in a call centre. With a UK policy you get 90+ days of full cover and then 9 months of minimum cover, so in theory, you can have the bike overseas for all 12 months but you will only get fire, theft and accidental damage cover for 3 of those month. If what you say applied then a bike would not be covered when using a shuttle service where you fly home and wait for your bike to be delivered by a courier.

To the OP: my bike policy is underwritten by Axa from a broker called One Call https://www.onecallinsurance.co.uk// . The Axa policy says: "you are covered for 93 days outside the UK in the territorial limits. We may extend this cover for an additional fee" - I have paraphrased as I could not copy & pasted from the pdf. There is nothing in my policy that says you have to be with the bike in the same country to be covered. It even says the cover applies when the bike is being transported to or from the UK from Europe, so is obviously covered if a courier service is used as stated above.

I insure with LV and this is what the policy says about European cover:

"Territorial Limits and European Cover
Territorial limits
Except where we say otherwise your insurance applies in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands. This includes while your motorbike is being transported within and between them.
European cover
We’ll provide the same level of cover you have in the territorial limits, while you are travelling in EU countries and any other country that follows EU directives. This includes when your motorbike is being transported within and between them and is subject to your motorbike:
being registered and normally kept in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands; and
not kept abroad for more than 180 days during your period of cover.
Note: This cover is automatically provided, so there is no need to contact us before travelling to any of the countries listed on your certificate of motor insurance. Please ensure you take your certificate with you as proof of insurance."

I'm not sure this would meet your needs to leave your bike there (because of the highlighted text). But it does exceed the 90 days. You would need to speak to them.

Thank you for all the replies. This thread demonstrates the lack of general clarity from insurers.
The LV arrangement sounds promising. I will contact them on Tuesday.

Back
Top Bottom