AUX on the R1200RT-P

NeilH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
At last I return to the UK for 6 weeks, but as bad luck has it I have a broken elbow thanks to a hit and run driver in a stolen car riding over me on my beloved R1150GS, which is now written off. How do I know the car was stolen? The driver abandoned the car 600m up the road and ran as he probably thought he'd killed me! I was almost stationary at the red traffic lights when the guy on the my right decided he was turning left regardless :mad:

Anyway life goes on luckily.

Someone tell me about the AUX sockets front and rear on the R1200RT-P.

Mine don't work and wire colour match Haynes diagram. So either they have been bypassed, have fault or something different.

Also under rear seat loads of wire ends (13 or 14 of them), some have green plugs/sockets the rest are black plugs/sockets. Some you can see the wire colours others are tapped all the way to the plug.

Are the green sockets just tapped to the loom? Is it worth undoing it all?

My goal is to just get the AUX working, yes I could just take a direct battery feed but ideally I'd like to use the standard loom. Open to trouble shooting ideas.

For example I did unplug the rear socket and just put a meter over it.....zero.

Neil

Sorry to hear of you medical misfortunes. And I hope the recovery will be quick

I was the first civilian owner of my R1200RT-P and the front 12v socket works OK - interestingly the rear one never did so I took it direct to the battery via a 10A fuse as I run an Optimate style charger to it

The authority circuits are well separated from the “normal” wiring so I was happy to remove that cluster of connectors under the radio box and indeed removed many yards of associated wiring

I did take the emphatic advice of a BMW tech who inhabits this forum and sealed the end of each wire with a blob of molten plastic to prevent moisture migrating back towards the electronics heartland

The aux battery in the glovebox also went to the tip along with assorted wiring and connectors

Under the cowl on the RHS is another big cluster of unused connectors and they are soon to be history along with the oil cooler

I also removed some of the steelwork that supported the radios and used the four holes in the ss baseplate as a guide to cut a large access hatch - this gives a large storage area that now holds puncture repair kit, tools, 12v inflator etc etc

No problems so far .....

Attachments

• CEE28C5E-9A0C-43F9-B783-B0149CB01926.jpg
    CEE28C5E-9A0C-43F9-B783-B0149CB01926.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 256
  • 11ADF67F-30FE-408A-819A-CF92A184EFDD.jpg
    11ADF67F-30FE-408A-819A-CF92A184EFDD.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 272
On our RTPs, both the sockets work, we still have all the authority kit hooked up, apart from the radio hump. If you charge via the socket, the front socket only charges the main battery, but if you plug the charger into the rear socket, it charged the main and aux battery.

Troubleshooting time

This is how the rear cables look, to me it's like it's all part of the loom, but I imagine if I started to undo the tape it would look more like Kritou's. Was this how your wires looked before you started the process?

How much of the bike did you have to take apart to do it?

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=422703&stc=1&d=1567003010

I noted the charging sequence Casbar, and the fact you left the Police wires intact, something I'm happy to do.

Right all I have to do now it work out why the aux don't work in the first place.

For all I know the big green plug should plug into the big white plug and perhaps it all works.....or it burns out something major.

How would you go about troubleshooting this?

I have a meter...tools....GS911....time.

Attachments

• Cables.jpg
    Cables.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 263
Pretty much how mine looked - any wires headed rearwards towards the light cluster were left well alone but everything else had a haircut. I really wanted to reclaim the space and make cleaning less of a chore

If you can locate a pair of the blue light supports by the mirrors they make very effective mounts for led DRLs

Attachments

• BF6176DD-EE86-4017-8F0A-1339F942CDBA.jpg
    BF6176DD-EE86-4017-8F0A-1339F942CDBA.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 207
  • 818567D1-8346-4F91-B1DB-FAF52DDC0EEC.jpg
    818567D1-8346-4F91-B1DB-FAF52DDC0EEC.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 211

Back
Top Bottom