Sleeping Bag advice please

Have you ever considered a down quilt? They are quite expensive but ideal for motorcycle travel.
If you have a decent bed that insulates you from the floor the part of the sleeping bag that is underneath you just compresses and adds little or no warmth. I have a simond down bag that has a centre zip and I only ever lay it over me and never get inside it, just put my feet in the foot box and most quilts come with a foot box. In hindsight I would have bought a quilt as the pack size is tiny. I always go for down as the weight/size to warmth ratio always seems better.

I suggested that previously, I definitely find mine to be superior to my high end down sleeping bag.

If you are limited in a budget, this review will help you to choose smth under 100.

I personally prefer Aegismax Ultralight (which was not mentioned in the review for some reason). This goose down sleeping bag keeps you warm at night and comes with super reliable zippers, that is a huge problem for cheap sleeping bags.
The only con for Aegismax is that it has no hood. Perhaps, it’s just because we have gotten so used to sleeping inside mummy style sleeping bags, but we find it somewhat disconcerting to sleep in a bag without one.

I'd question the usefulness of a compression sack, you end up with a small but inflexible lump. If you use a waterproof roll top bag you can squeeze most of the air out whilst leaving it mouldable and easier to pack things around.

My winter sleeping bag came with a mesh bag for storing it at home plus a waterproof roll bag for carrying it when away traveling and though it’s sometimes easier to pack it out of the compression bag I prefer to keep it 100% waterproof rather than risk it getting damp after being in contact with any wet clothing or my tent.

When I used to do a lot of winter mountaineering I always packed the bag away in the daytime when I was away from the tent because I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve returned to my tent either covered in snow/ice or soaking wet from heavy rainfall and all you want to do under those circumstances is get inside the tent and fire up the stove for a brew :D

Always keep my sleep mats inflated when stored at home and sleeping bags hanging somewhere warm and dry

Back
Top Bottom