Sleeping Bag advice please

It was a bit tongue in cheek, but looks a great option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a bit tongue in cheek, but looks a great option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a big fan of Rab stuff but i did plenty of looking at reviews and comparing warmth to weight, pack size etc and although i very nearly bought the Rab Mythos it was more money and came with too many dire warnings about the strength of the outer fabric

The Therma rest option, whilst still bloody expensive ticked more boxes, comes in 3 sizes. They are snug in as much every bit of design is to save weigh and the zip is only half length again for weight saving, It also has some thin straps for attaching to a sleeping mat so the 2 work together in unison which i found to be a good feature but as a bag for being warm and cozy in down to too cold to be camping at our age temps it is superb

+2 for snugpak. I have a 3 seasons bag that i can fit into a kriega us20 and plenty of clothes. It's roomy and very warm.

Reading this thread with interest.
My Mountain Equipment synthetic bag has proven to be a big disappointment despite the specified temp. rating -- even in June in Wales and Ireland. A chilly June admittedly.
I'm going to upgrade to down but I probably should upgrade to an insulated pad too. And I realise I must be a "cold sleeper". (sound like a spy character in The Americans")

I've read some Alpkit down bags are smelly for a while until they get some use and airing.
Rab bags seems to get good reviews.
Any recommended USA websites? I've used Moosejaw.com in the past but they won't deal with EU buyers any more due to lack of GDPR compliance

Exped downmat is the best camping mat I have ever used. Even beats an old fashioned rubberised canvas Lilo. The down makes a world of a difference.
Saturday night was cold at the Overland Event and the Exped and a cheap Aldi down bag did well (as well as some warm clothing).

Tom

I find the Vango Planet 100 suits my needs. Had it for about five years and used in temperatures between 5 and 25 degrees with no real issues. Packs small and is light.

In the end I bought a Rab Ascent 900, thanks for all the tips.

In the end I bought a Rab Ascent 900, thanks for all the tips.

Just spent the last two nights in this bag, plenty warm enough and would work well in much lower temps than the 10-12 C.

Although it’s enormous it does squash down.

I have just been through all this to get a sleeping bag for my son for the next stage of his travels (Canada in spring for a year or two). In the end we we went the recommendation of the guys at Tamarack Outdoors and got a Snugpack bag rated at +6 and a sea to summit liner. That combo should cover everything from Hot Summer nights to cool/cold shoulder spring and autumn nights.

https://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/Mobile/MBSCProduct.asp?PdtID=21926107

https://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/Mobile/MBSCProduct.asp?PdtID=21168815

Or if you want a super down bag the Helsport Svadlen like what I have is about as good as they come and nice and roomy for the average tosser yet packs very small.

https://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/Mobile/MBSCProduct.asp?PdtID=21158798

If you buy a down bag and a compression sack keep in mind that the two aren’t actually compatible and you need to store the bag in something like a pillowcase when you’re at home. Manufacturers and sellers push the fact that down packs down much smaller than synthetic fill bags but long term you’ll damage them if you leave them in compression sack for long periods of time.

If you buy a down bag and a compression sack keep in mind that the two aren’t actually compatible and you need to store the bag in something like a pillowcase when you’re at home. Manufacturers and sellers push the fact that down packs down much smaller than synthetic fill bags but long term you’ll damage them if you leave them in compression sack for long periods of time.

Both my down bag and exped down mat are stored hung up in a wardrobe.

Tom

Useful info ,,, I did not know , I don't remember seeing that on the blurb of either my Exped or the down bag !
Have you had Problems first hand Andy ? ,,,,,, interesting as I am now onto my 3rd Exped down mat , wondered if keeping them packed up was causing that.

This is true
My Thermarest bag and Susans Northface bag came with a separate storage bag that does not compress

There sleeping bag was supplied with a massive "pillow case" type bag.

Thanks, never really considered that, though its ringing some old bells in the back of the head :blast :thumb

The last 2 bags I bought came with a big mesh storage bag & compression sack.
Marmot & Mountain Hardwear .. both synthetic too!

Back
Top Bottom