Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sleeping Bag advice please

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB_11 View Post
    If you buy a down bag and a compression sack keep in mind that the two aren’t actually compatible and you need to store the bag in something like a pillowcase when you’re at home. Manufacturers and sellers push the fact that down packs down much smaller than synthetic fill bags but long term you’ll damage them if you leave them in compression sack for long periods of time.
    Both my down bag and exped down mat are stored hung up in a wardrobe.

Tom

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    If you buy a down bag and a compression sack keep in mind that the two aren’t actually compatible and you need to store the bag in something like a pillowcase when you’re at home. Manufacturers and sellers push the fact that down packs down much smaller than synthetic fill bags but long term you’ll damage them if you leave them in compression sack for long periods of time.
    Useful info ,,, I did not know , I don't remember seeing that on the blurb of either my Exped or the down bag !
    Have you had Problems first hand Andy ? ,,,,,, interesting as I am now onto my 3rd Exped down mat , wondered if keeping them packed up was causing that.
    Normal ,in an odd sort of way

This is true
    My Thermarest bag and Susans Northface bag came with a separate storage bag that does not compress
    No one nods at me cos they think I'm a Cnut

Bear is never right

Norfolk Tiger can fuck off

Quote Originally Posted by wideparting View Post
    ebay, british army arctic sleeping bag,not small but toasty 40 quid or less.
    AKA the Combat Duvet...
    The Other PaulG

...you should never underestimate what a wonderful thing you have all done here - Chad, Dec 2018

Quote Originally Posted by The Other PaulG View Post
    AKA the Combat Duvet...
    And from experience in the Arctic not toasty just bloody heavy and crap
    No one nods at me cos they think I'm a Cnut

Bear is never right

Norfolk Tiger can fuck off

There sleeping bag was supplied with a massive "pillow case" type bag.
    Edited because I cannot type

Thanks, never really considered that, though its ringing some old bells in the back of the head

The last 2 bags I bought came with a big mesh storage bag & compression sack.
    Marmot & Mountain Hardwear .. both synthetic too!

Have you ever considered a down quilt? They are quite expensive but ideal for motorcycle travel.
    If you have a decent bed that insulates you from the floor the part of the sleeping bag that is underneath you just compresses and adds little or no warmth. I have a simond down bag that has a centre zip and I only ever lay it over me and never get inside it, just put my feet in the foot box and most quilts come with a foot box. In hindsight I would have bought a quilt as the pack size is tiny. I always go for down as the weight/size to warmth ratio always seems better.
    I don't own a car just a

I suggested that previously, I definitely find mine to be superior to my high end down sleeping bag.

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    If you are limited in a budget, this review will help you to choose smth under 100.

I personally prefer Aegismax Ultralight (which was not mentioned in the review for some reason). This goose down sleeping bag keeps you warm at night and comes with super reliable zippers, that is a huge problem for cheap sleeping bags.
    The only con for Aegismax is that it has no hood. Perhaps, it’s just because we have gotten so used to sleeping inside mummy style sleeping bags, but we find it somewhat disconcerting to sleep in a bag without one.

I'd question the usefulness of a compression sack, you end up with a small but inflexible lump. If you use a waterproof roll top bag you can squeeze most of the air out whilst leaving it mouldable and easier to pack things around.

My winter sleeping bag came with a mesh bag for storing it at home plus a waterproof roll bag for carrying it when away traveling and though it’s sometimes easier to pack it out of the compression bag I prefer to keep it 100% waterproof rather than risk it getting damp after being in contact with any wet clothing or my tent.

When I used to do a lot of winter mountaineering I always packed the bag away in the daytime when I was away from the tent because I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve returned to my tent either covered in snow/ice or soaking wet from heavy rainfall and all you want to do under those circumstances is get inside the tent and fire up the stove for a brew

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Check out Alpkit's, their products are reliable and sturdy. I use them.

Always keep my sleep mats inflated when stored at home and sleeping bags hanging somewhere warm and dry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123