GPS not detected by express/basecamp

corky

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Operating on windows 10.
After latest update in express--it wont see the GPS. Had a look at some problems in Garmin but they don extend to windows 10.
Checked USB port--they are ok.

Taking 1 tip from other windows versions with problems, I can get it to connect---like this;

Reboot computer-- Run express as administrator---plug unit into one particular USB, this will not be recognised,--- unplug and switch to another particular USB--it then picks up (so far).

rang Garmin--they want the "express" logs. Will attempt so send them off.
Anyone had a similar problem. Just before updating, had done all routes for holiday in car--no problem. Bike holiday looms close---Help!

Thanks,

Bill

+1
Some USB leads are power only , others are power & data. Does sound like its a generic (cheap) lead issue ;)

This.

My GoPro battery charger lead won't transmit data, but will power up my Navigator.

If another lead fails install and run USBDview it may help highlight any USB issues

261eac44118430ada0d95a1b335c3fa3.png

Garmin wont see GPS

Plenty of waiting and plenty of leads--will try USB view. Express now picks up the unit, but wont communicate with it--get error message.
Tried Nav V, it does send to that one after a couple of tries, but the route is 3 times longer--gets worse

Thanks,

Bill

Sounds like a corrupt program do you have another computer you could try the units on?

Plenty of waiting and plenty of leads--will try USB view. Express now picks up the unit, but wont communicate with it--get error message.
Tried Nav V, it does send to that one after a couple of tries, but the route is 3 times longer--gets worse

Thanks,

Bill

I think you are possibly looking at two different problems, not least as you seem to be using two different devices.

With the first device, I think that you are saying that Garmin Express sees the device. In other words, Garmin Express shows the device on your PC’s monitor screen and tells you that its maps and software are up to date. Is that correct? You then try to send a route to the device, presumably from Mapsource or BaseCamp but the Mapsource or BaseCamp software cannot see the device, is that correct? If not, what?

With the second device, apparently a Nav V, again Garmin Express sees the device, as does Mapsource or BaseCamp. You then try to send a route from BaseCamp or Mapsource to the Nav V, which it does, but the route is three times longer. This is encouraging as at least a route of sorts is going from your PC to the GPS device. The longer version of the route displayed on your Nav V suggests that the route (you do not say what software was used to create the route) is being recalculated in the Nav V. There can be a number of reasons why a recalculation happens, these include:

A. A route that is created from outside of BaseCamp or Mapsource. For example, a route you have picked up from a third party or created in something like MyRoute or Tyre or one of the many alternative route creation pieces of software

B. There is a difference in the maps installed on your PC over those installed on your Nav V

C. There is a fundamental difference in the preference settings between your PC and your Nav V. For example, if the route on your PC had a load of motorway travel in it but your Nav V was set to avoid motorways by presence, then the recalculated route will indeed do its best to avoid motorways, just as you have asked it to

I suggest:

1. You save whatever data you can on your PC

2. You reinstall BaseCamp or Mapsource or whatever it is you are using

3. You reinstall Garmin Express. I saw this on the Garmin website: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...don-t-work-with-windows-10-anniversary-update

4. You make sure both of your GPS devices are up-to-date software wise and that the preference settings match your PC’s

5. You try again, preferably calmly, one device at a time, using the USB lead you know works

6. You report back, preferably calmly, as clearly as possible what happens. Use lots of words, tidy sentences and paragraphs. Help us to help you, in other words.

Richard

Thanks everyone for the time--especially Richard, that is a long one.

I think you are correct in that we have 2 problems.

Firstly I think I have a USB problem, not with a lead or computer, but the unit itself---looks like a damages pin. If I hold a decent quality lead it connects and I can down load a route. Will get the up and coming trip loaded I think---so thanks for the clues.

The second one I will take the advice and try to track down the problem by elimination. The spiked routes were done on another programme google maps, and then imported into Garmin as per instructions, The track was converted to a route. This looks ok but did not give times etc. The route was then traced over in basecamp, and the route below deleted. All looked good, and the written instructions also ok. Upon transfer route spiked and was 3 times as long. I will investigate and report back.
Looks like an expensive repair from Garmin.

Thanks everyone,

Bill

Now we are starting to cook on gas.

The damaged pins, I can’t help you with directly, other than to point you in the direction of either Garmin or one of the several repair shops. It’s tricky to see how pins get damaged but hey, it happens. If the repair route is simply uneconomic, I can sell you a fully functioning BMW Nav V, in very good condition.

On the second problem, welcome to the world of creating routes outside of Garmin’s generic BaseCamp or Mapsource software. It’s one of the most common problems we see on these pages.

You say that you converted the Google map’s track into a route? Where and how? I am guessing that you did it in the Nav V not on your PC? If so, maybe mistake number 1. When converting any third party derived track into a Garmin route, always try to do it on your PC. Why? Because:

A. It has lots more computing power

B. It will display the converted route on your PC’s monitor screen, making it much easier to check that the conversion has been made correctly. If you are happy that it has, you should then be able to send the route straight to your GPS device. Assuming that the device and your PC have the same maps and the same preference settings, it should go straight in. You can then summon it up (before you go away *) and make sure it is all hunky dory and tickety-boo.

* This bit is really important, ignore it at your peril.

Basecamp wont see GPS

Now waiting for a timescale on a repair to mini usb--estimate £35. If cant be done in time I would be interested in nav 5 Richard if lifetime maps.

Regarding files. I always do my routes before hand in base camp using garmin maps and open street maps--always been fine on the 590.

One of our group did his routes on google maps. Its been some time since I converted routes from google earth/ google maps. Had a look around and came up with mapstogo.gpx. This one went straight in to basecamp but did not give all the intermediate points on the list at least. To get around this I traced over the top, deleted the route below and ended up with a Garmin route.

For the future, I did a Kurviger route as for the group member it is similar to google maps. I followed the instructions on this and exported all 3 formats into base camp. Clicked on the track, and converted to route. This worked perfectly.

Since then following the advice received, I have gone through every setting on his computer/unit and matched them to mine----still the same. I will continue to try to solve it but in the mean time I will go and put the routes on his computer manually.

Thanks again everyone, especially Richard for the detailed advice

Thanks,

Bill

£35 to fix it sounds OK.

But, if you are stuck and your device can’t be mended in time, let me know as you can borrow my spare Nav V, assuming it’ll fit in whatever cradle you have. PM if required.

Basecamp wont see GPS

Thanks Richards again.

I wont send the unit away before holiday as apparently fix time depends upon whether the damage is confined to the socket or the "pads" are damaged on the PCB.

I will try and get routes done and in this weekend, I have got a couple of tests in by holding the lead firmly in the socket.

If I cant get it sorted I will contact you to buy the Nav V

Thanks again everyone,

Bill

Back
Top Bottom