radiator cover k1600

tailscookie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
anyone know if the k1200 fits the 1600,
or where can i purchase one :rob

What is it about the K1600’s radiator that makes you think it’s worth buying a guard for?

Is the internet awash with holed radiator tales? I guess not, as nobody much seems to be bunging out guards.

I have one of these fitted to my K1600GT - superb piece of kit , just did a two week tour of Europe in 37 degree heat with no overheating issues (I had recently fitted a new radiator due to the PO not cleaning it and allowing the fins to clog up)

I received it in under week from RadGuard

IMG-5010.jpg

IMG-5012.jpg

Agreed overheating on the 1600 can be a problem, if the owner does not keep the radiator’s lower third reasonably clean. I can see that the Australian offering might well make that job easier.

Me? Now I am on my third 1600, I just run a load of water around the radiator area to flush it out, from time to time. I don’t blast it with the jet wash, obviously. It seems to work. Whether or not the fender extender I fitted makes any difference, I can’t tell. It can’t do much harm, even if it did no good.

Agreed overheating on the 1600 can be a problem, if the owner does not keep the radiator’s lower third reasonably clean. I can see that the Australian offering might well make that job easier.

Me? Now I am on my third 1600, I just run a load of water around the radiator area to flush it out, from time to time. I don’t blast it with the jet wash, obviously. It seems to work. Whether or not the fender extender I fitted makes any difference, I can’t tell. It can’t do much harm, even if it did no good.

wapping,thanks for your view,
its just that every bike i have owned was fitted with one,new rads are so expensive,i have a front guard to fit after that we shall see.

The oil cooler is a tad prone on the K16, so worth covering that base too while you are at it.

OK, there are many apocryphal stories on the forums, mainly emanating from the US where riding conditions/distances are way different from those experienced in Europe.

In fairness though, new rads/coolers are mighty expensive items on these bikes & it's damnably inconvenient if they pick up a leak whilst on tour.

k1600

thanks for that guys,
one more for you,i want a oil dipstick with a allen key type lockable one.if that makes any sense,
saw one on ebay off a f800 it looks the same,but nearly £50.00.

75 euro that should read,
still in shock sorry.

No more than I would exepect for anything K16. Seems it's a tad cheaper at Motorworks, if they actually have any at that price (last item on P4) .......... https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=4&NU=15&M=86&Ct=NA&spPage=4

Personally, in my many years of touring, I haven't ever had a major problem with any oil filler tampering. Loosened off, maybe once at Brno circuit & they nicked my CBR1000FP screen edge trim - if I am concerned about security, I usually give the filler a good tweak down with a mini adjustable wrench if I have to park say on street overnight or at circuits, which makes it virtually impossible to remove by hand; take care though as it's easy to overdo it.

No more than I would exepect for anything K16. Seems it's a tad cheaper at Motorworks, if they actually have any at that price (last item on P4) .......... https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=4&NU=15&M=86&Ct=NA&spPage=4

Personally, in my many years of touring, I haven't ever had a major problem with any oil filler tampering. Loosened off, maybe once at Brno circuit & they nicked my CBR1000FP screen edge trim - if I am concerned about security, I usually give the filler a good tweak down with a mini adjustable wrench if I have to park say on street overnight or at circuits, which makes it virtually impossible to remove by hand; take care though as it's easy to overdo it.
thanks for that.

I don’t think that there is any reliable evidence of oil filler caps being removed or tampered with, much beyond, “My mate says, his mate’s mate, heard or read that....”

The main advantage to an aftermarket radiator guard compared to the original item is that it allows more air flow to the radiator. The louvred bit down the centre of the radiator fitted as standard isn't louvred at all! Behind the louvres is just a solid piece of plastic.

I take care to rinse out the radiator when I wash it, from front and back, and haven't had any real issues with overheating. It does need the fan very quickly if you stop when it's warm, but it's never gone beyond 7 blocks on the temp gauge. (Five blocks is the norm, fan seems to kick in at six blocks). No idea at what point it turns red for impending catastrophe.

The main advantage to an aftermarket radiator guard compared to the original item is that it allows more air flow to the radiator. The louvred bit down the centre of the radiator fitted as standard isn't louvred at all! Behind the louvres is just a solid piece of plastic.

I take care to rinse out the radiator when I wash it, from front and back, and haven't had any real issues with overheating. It does need the fan very quickly if you stop when it's warm, but it's never gone beyond 7 blocks on the temp gauge. (Five blocks is the norm, fan seems to kick in at six blocks). No idea at what point it turns red for impending catastrophe.

thanks for that.

Back
Top Bottom