Hotels in the Ardennes, please (cut from another thread)

Whether this was because she saw the company I kept and from that deduced that I must be a decent cove, or instead I just looked good by comparison, is something we may never know.

I would go with the latter deduction if I were you.

I like Bouillon and Hotel de la Poste, must of stayed there 5 or 6 times, and back again soon, prices seem to vary a bit depending on time of year / day of week (I assume) and now the pound is worth bugger all it can seem a bit pricey - but so is everywhere....

I too quite like the Poste hotel in Bouillon.

I booked our three rooms at short notice, using Booking.com simply as I was in a hurry and wanted to be able to cancel at short notice if necessary. At euro 50 a night, the rooms (third floor, non-river facing) were OK and the same price as the Ibis Budget in St Omer, booked via the Ibis website.

Its location and large garage suit me, not least as I often have several other bikes in a gaggle with me. To save a bit, I have also left my bike outside on the street, always making sure there’s a pound of butter in the fridge back at home.

Breakfast is OK. The restaurant is OK, priced similarly to others in the area. The small bar just across the road is reasonable, as are a couple of others in the town.

I prefer the town to say, Bastogne and, like you, also like several other towns in the area or in Luxembourg or even Germany. There is enough choice for everyone, that’s for sure.

I popped down to Bastogne for an overnight stop on my way to Amsterdam from Calais. I have no hesitation in recommending Hotel Melba, good rooms, walking distance from all the site in town, and secure bike parking to the rear. Short run up into the hills the next day to find La Gleize where the December 44 museum is a good place for a coffee. Fantastic roads.

Love the area.

Less than 2 miles from the hotel :D

i-d3m3hjx-L.jpg

:beerjug:

Dinant is nice and has an Ibis hotel on the riverside with superb views you do not usually associate with a cheapish chain. Parking too.

I also liked Clervaux - stayed in Des Nations hotel opposite the train station. We never met Des.

Outside the Ardennes in the Mosel wine region, but easy to include in a weekend trip, is the riverside town of Remich in Luxembourg. St Nicholas Hotel was good with a big garage. Drink beer and shout across the Mosel at German campers.

Dinant is nice and has an Ibis hotel on the riverside with superb views you do not usually associate with a cheapish chain. Parking too.

I also liked Clervaux - stayed in Des Nations hotel opposite the train station. We never met Des.

Outside the Ardennes in the Mosel wine region, but easy to include in a weekend trip, is the riverside town of Remich in Luxembourg. St Nicholas Hotel was good with a big garage. Drink beer and shout across the Mosel at German campers.

Yup, I remember staying in that Ibis the week it opened , something like 2005 at a guess.
They’re normally a bit soulless but I’d stay there again

same area but Luxembourg this hotel was fantastic
https://www.hotel-de-la-sure.lu/index.php?cont=2&mode=ctc&lgn=1
most of the rooms are in houses in the street next to the Hotel, secure bike parking in underground garage with repair facilities, some tools and tyre changing equipment, they had bike touring routes in the reception, and made up lunches if you wanted them.
the location is spectular, it is in the ox bow bend of a river so almost an island.
and not that expensive either

Thank you everyone for your hotel suggestions for the Ardennes.

What I think I’ll do is create a file of routes, onto which I will do my best to pinpoint each of the hotels recommended. That way punters might be able to chose the one that suits them best.

Keep ‘em coming, as they say.

Richard

PS If you are really lucky, I’ll add in some of mine, too.

I am thinking of Bastogne oddly enough - as the base for our 4 days away.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Great town with lots of places to eat / drink / party and other POI's, particularly WW2 related.

It is a few miles out of town before you hit the great roads in Luxembourg to the East, which is why if I plan to loop around from a base I tend to stop for a couple of nights in Luxembourg somewhere.

I am sure someone will be along shortly with a long list of great roads on the doorstep of Bastogne to prove me wrong.

Roads, great or otherwise, will always depend on the expectations of the rider, the time available and sometimes the weather. For example, we hear that there are no great roads in northern France, so it’s best to blast down the motorway. Yet, we came back from Bouillon to Calais last Monday (which wasn’t a holiday in France) not using any significant amount of motorways at all. The D roads were all empty and good progress could be made, with some pretty decent riding.

On Bastogne.

It now has fab bike kit lockers on main square and they are free

Chain supplied, all you need is a disc lock or padlock

Great system, better than walking round in 37 deg heat dressed like a mobile Klim advert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great town...... I am sure someone will be along shortly with a long list of great roads on the doorstep of Bastogne to prove me wrong.

There’s certainly a lot of great roads to the right of Bastogne

72df719183f4538ce34a2cf5704add96.jpg

:beerjug:

Oh I have to contribute to Chas’s comment, what about the time someone toppled over on his bike into the flower bed outside the Poste, or the group being led down a block turning during a cycle race and one group member stopping at the junction and putting his foot down into a ditch and toppling completely over. Aaahh those were the days, great wanders.

The very trip of the "bush" incident as seen right behind him :)

Attachments

• 06092009214.jpg
    06092009214.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 185
I had forgotten about my excellent blue Mountain Marathon top. Thank you for the reminder.

same area but Luxembourg this hotel was fantastic
https://www.hotel-de-la-sure.lu/index.php?cont=2&mode=ctc&lgn=1
most of the rooms are in houses in the street next to the Hotel, secure bike parking in underground garage with repair facilities, some tools and tyre changing equipment, they had bike touring routes in the reception, and made up lunches if you wanted them.
the location is spectular, it is in the ox bow bend of a river so almost an island.
and not that expensive either

Many thanks to Bowser for the link to the the Hotel de la Sure. Stayed there last Thursday night and it really is an unusual and delightful place. Arrived later than planned after the sat nav decided to give up the ghost just outside Dunkirk necessitating purchase of an ancient artifact known as a map and planning a route over a particularly bad coffe at a Belgian service station somewhere on the E42.
I stayed in the main hotel which an absolute rabbit warren of stairways and passages and has its own library and ganes room. The restaurant and the bar are good and well priced and I like the garage because I don't have to mop of the dew in the morning.

Worth noting that they have a "how did you hear of us?" questionnaire and when I told the boss at checkout that they were recommended on here, he handed me a 5% voucher for my next stay.

Also stopped at the Hotel de la Poste in Bouillon on Sunday and sat in Wapping's chair, fortunately without any chair/bush incident.

I passed by the Hotel de la Sure last Friday, making a note to give it a go next year. Glad that ‘my chair’ in Bouillon is still there, the flower trough too,

Back
Top Bottom