Green Card in Bosnia & Herzegovina.. Maybe Others!

ballistic

I ain't got no stinkin' visa!
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
On a recent trip to Georgia, my route took me through Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia, Bulgaria and Turkey. I was insured through Carole Nash, with Ageas Insurance Ltd., and they provided me with a Green Card for these countries, and many more (see image), for a cost of about £60, if I remember correctly.

The Green Card was sent through the post a couple of weeks prior to me leaving the UK but, when I came to assemble all my documents, I couldn’t find it. A panic phone call to Carole Nash and it was emailed to me immediately, and printed out on my trusty mono laser printer… sorted.

You probably know what I’m going to say next… The (mono) Green Card did its job admirably, even getting me into B&H from Croatia to go and have a look at Mostar. Having done the tourist stuff in Mostar, I re-entered Croatia near to Dubrovnik, to spend the night on the coast. Next morning, my plan was to go back through B&H, and then into Montenegro to visit some National Park, or other. I never got past the border checkpoint into B&H because my “Green Card” was not green. This was despite entering B&H the day before, albeit at a different checkpoint, and exiting B&H through this very same checkpoint the evening before!

Luckily, I had to fly back to the UK for a couple of weeks before I resumed my adventure, so I re-printed my Green Card, in green, and continued my 23 country trip without further incident, except for Georgia, which wasn’t on my Green Card… insurance was only about €10 for a couple of weeks.

The point of my post is.. Make sure your Green Card is green.

Oh.. I found my original Green Card that Carole Nash had sent me.. I'd pinned it to the map of Europe on the wall of my study.. so I didn’t lose it! :blast

Attachments

• Page_2.jpg
    Page_2.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Page_1.jpg
    Page_1.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 30
My insurer - Hastings, told me they didn't issue green cards anymore so I had to buy insurance at the Bosnia/Croatia border.
About €7 for 2 weeks I remember correctly.

My insurer - Hastings, told me they didn't issue green cards anymore so I had to buy insurance at the Bosnia/Croatia border.
About €7 for 2 weeks I remember correctly.

Like their customers, every insurer is sometimes different.

Carol Nashtie (Aviva) refused me a green card for Albania and Macedonia last year but they did issue one to cover Montenegro and BIH...got a green card from the same aforementioned this year to cover Turkey and noticed that Albania was also on the covered list but Montenegro wasn't !

I don't try to figure it out anymore :nenau

Carole Nash badly let me down for my trip to Morocco. 1 month before departure I phoned up and all was ok to get the green card on my existing insurance. “Just phone us a week before you enter the border and we’ll email it you”, they said. And so I did and guess what, “Oh sorry no you don’t have it after all, we made a mistake and we’ll put the advisor back through training”, came the reply. What a joke. Their solution was to change my insurance company at my cost to obtain a green card or do it myself at the border. I chose the latter which of course all added to the suspense.

Carole Nash badly let me down for my trip to Morocco. 1 month before departure I phoned up and all was ok to get the green card on my existing insurance. “Just phone us a week before you enter the border and we’ll email it you”, they said. And so I did and guess what, “Oh sorry no you don’t have it after all, we made a mistake and we’ll put the advisor back through training”, came the reply. What a joke. Their solution was to change my insurance company at my cost to obtain a green card or do it myself at the border. I chose the latter which of course all added to the suspense.

What it is to be an Adventure biker in the 21st century.

What it is to be an Adventure biker in the 21st century.

It is, I got a new arse at Bab Septa. I offered my wife but sterling happened to be performing particularly badly that day. C’est la vie :D

I stand to be corrected, but my experience is that AGEAS is the only insurer in the UK that will issue a Green Card at the moment, maybe that will, or have to change after Brexit.

I stand to be corrected, but my experience is that AGEAS is the only insurer in the UK that will issue a Green Card at the moment, maybe that will, or have to change after Brexit.

Do you have any more info, or if anyone else can chime in to provide additional facts please, thanks.

Cheers
Dooby

Stand alone Green Card 'companies'

I'm with Carole Nash and then Ageas.

Insurance covers Slovenia, Croatia, Bulgaria and Greece and rather abstractly (to me anyway) Serbia :cool:, but not B&H, Albania or Macedonia :(

They won't offer a green card for these countries

Has anyone first-hand experience of other companies that will on a standalone basis - seem to be some on a web search...but may be more cars orientated etc, don't want to get something that's not actually recognised in the Balkan countries missing on my current insurance.

I guess it's insurance at the border otherwise...never know what the **** you've actually paid for but have to assume it's legit - the Ukrainian cover I got some years ago was double-Dutch...well, actually I may have stood a chance with the Dutch :D or alternatively no insurance and the obvious risks that entails :eek:

Looking at a travel down to Albania next month so grateful if anyone knows anything - otherwise use threads hereabouts as guidance on the actual crossings.

Last went to Yugoslavia the year before the war...hang on...same in Ukraine :blast so be interested to see if I remember anything at all, main interest is Albania though, been meaning to go for ages.

Ta :thumb

Back
Top Bottom