Anyone insured their new 1250 GS Rallye on a multi bike policy

Urban Rider

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just had my renewal through with Bennetts and the premium for my Urban GS and the 1250 GS Rallye is a staggering £1057.00!!!

Last year i paid £314 for the policy with both bikes on it.. Spent most of the morning on the phone speaking to various brokers (Carol Nash, Bikesure, Hastings) etc and some of them wouldn't even quote!!

Nothings changed from last year other than the new GS..

48 years old
Full NCD
no claims or convictions
both bikes garaged overnight
both bikes alarmed and immobilised
GS has a tracker and roadloc fitted
Same address as last year
Same job as last year
No other changes

Cheapest I've managed to get it down to so far is £680 with Bennetts... Carol Nash want over £1k, waiting on Bikesure to come back to me, Hastings wouldn't quote due to the value of the combined bikes, Be Wiser - waiting to come back to me...

I'm now considering selling the Urban as i'm not prepared to pay £680 for insurance...:mad:

Have you called Bemoto? They are very good. Don’t do an online quote though, they’ll do a better deal on the phone. ;)

Have you called Bemoto? They are very good. Don’t do an online quote though, they’ll do a better deal on the phone. ;)

Agree with this; I phoned them last week and they gave me a superb quote, beating Bennetts & Carole Nash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Separate bike policies
All mine are and come in cheaper than a multibike.

+1

All my bikes are on seperate policies.... as Multi-Bike policies RAPE you, especially if you change a bike mid-term.

Fucking RIP OFF MERCHANTS.... :D

Just got off the phone to Bemoto and have been quoted £600 on a multibike policy... Fecking joke!!!!

Just got off the phone to Bemoto and have been quoted £600 on a multibike policy... Fecking joke!!!!

Sounds cheaper than £1000 or £680 from others

GS theft has increased markedly ... hence the price hike in premium
Income

I’m with Wicked quotes. (Granted not with a 1250GS). Been cheapest for me for the last 4 years on multibike policy. Worth a try?

Is that joke, £1:64 a day for two bikes, fully comp, including your 1250?

It is widely known that:

Some premiums have been rocketing in London / the south east, caused in part by the number of - often careless - thefts, the number of written-off bikes and the now appalling loss record of scooter riders, many on the Deliveroo type runs. Someone has to pay.

Comparing last year’s (crazy low) premium with this year’s quotes (including the no quotes, which tells you something) is one thing but getting busy on the phone is more profitable in the long term, as you are learning. It requires effort, but in the past it was all just too easy.

As to whether a multi-bike policy is better than a single bike policy will vary customer by customer. What suits one bloke (me for example) will not suit you, necessarily. Again, just get busy on the phone, right up to the moment of renewal.

It’s maybe a good job that you might not smoke. A box of 20 gaspers is £10:50 apparently. Beer is my pleasure, 4:60 a pint and I enjoy more than one.

Thanks for everyones input on this thread and Wapping, when you put it like that it doesn't seem too bad...

The frustrating this for me is that the premium has only increased due to the new bike. Others on this forum have paid £130 full comp on their 1200 GSAs. Arguably they are just as desirable to the scroats as my new GS.. I absolutely expected a hike in the insurance, just not 3 times as much or even double..

Insurance is still a huge rip off, in my eyes it should all be based on risk - whats the risk of this riders crashing? Lets take a look at his riding history, convictions, claims, NCD, riding ability (qualifications IAM RoSPA etc). All of which should reduce the risk significantly.
Risk of theft - look at where you reside, is it a high theft area, what devices do you have fitted etc. My GS has the alarm / immobiliser (factory fitted), Roadlok, Datatag, as well as a Skytag tracker AND an Oxford Monster chain (when in the garage) although the best anti theft device i have is the German Shepherd that resides here :D.

To have all that taken into account and still have a premium of over £600 is unreasonable in my mind when the risk (to me) last year was the same AND the value of the combined bikes was still over £20k (the reason some of the brokers wouldn't quote)....

It seems the absolute cheapest i have managed to get it down to is £580 with Bemoto which may be my last choice.. The only other option i have is to SORN the 9T and have it on a theft at home only policy while i ride the GS which i'm trying to avoid if i can.....

I have a multi bike policy through Ducati insurance, although I haven’t had a Ducati for a few years.

Very reasonable, try them.

Wicked Quotes

Phone : 0344 8800 960
Contact details : https://www.wickedquotes.co.uk/contact-us

Office hours: 08:30 to 17:30 Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, 08:30 to 20:00 Thursday and 09:00 to 15:00 Saturday, closed Sundays and Bank Holidays

Thanks for everyones input on this thread and Wapping, when you put it like that it doesn't seem too bad...

The frustrating this for me is that the premium has only increased due to the new bike. Others on this forum have paid £130 full comp on their 1200 GSAs. Arguably they are just as desirable to the scroats as my new GS.. I absolutely expected a hike in the insurance, just not 3 times as much or even double..

Insurance is still a huge rip off, in my eyes it should all be based on risk - whats the risk of this riders crashing? Lets take a look at his riding history, convictions, claims, NCD, riding ability (qualifications IAM RoSPA etc). All of which should reduce the risk significantly.
Risk of theft - look at where you reside, is it a high theft area, what devices do you have fitted etc. My GS has the alarm / immobiliser (factory fitted), Roadlok, Datatag, as well as a Skytag tracker AND an Oxford Monster chain (when in the garage) although the best anti theft device i have is the German Shepherd that resides here :D.

To have all that taken into account and still have a premium of over £600 is unreasonable in my mind when the risk (to me) last year was the same AND the value of the combined bikes was still over £20k (the reason some of the brokers wouldn't quote)....

It seems the absolute cheapest i have managed to get it down to is £580 with Bemoto which may be my last choice.. The only other option i have is to SORN the 9T and have it on a theft at home only policy while i ride the GS which i'm trying to avoid if i can.....

What's the point of sorning the Urban??
Just ride what you want
If you can afford 2 bikes worth £25-£30k just pay the £600 insurance and enjoy them
Wapping is correct

in my eyes it should all be based on risk - whats the risk of this riders crashing? Lets take a look at his riding history, convictions, claims, NCD, riding ability (qualifications IAM RoSPA etc). All of which should reduce the risk significantly.

It is risk based. Some insurers have assessed your (and others like you) individual risk as uninsurable *, resulting in no quote. Others, on this forum, have had their risk assessed as worth charging the £130 you quote. The assessment of your risk factor seems to be coming out at a minimum of £580 and a maximum of about £1000. What those figures might have been had the insurer not discounted their premium by whatever in light of your age, experience, loss record, shoe size, marital status, security measures or the number of letters in your name, we can only wonder. No doubt the £600 will seem like less of a rip-off when and if you have your £18,000 (or whatever) motorcycle stolen or written off, which of course may never happen or it might happen tomorrow. It will certainly be even better value when and if you somehow manage to stuff one of your two bikes into the side of a 488 Ferrari, injuring the kid in the passenger seat in the process. But hey, that will never happen, as you pased your IAM test sixteen years ago (those annual renewal fees serve some purpose) and have a disc lock, which you always use..... except when you park up, just for a minute, to nip into the cafe for a brew. It’s right outside, just down the street, it’ll be fine....

* More accurately, not within their (or their appointed brokers / intermediaries) current risk appetite.

What happened is that lots of insurers - and their intermediaries - chased a comparatively small motorcycle market, effectively buying market share. This drove down prices, in a feeding frenzy of discounted premiums, some helped as they could accept the business from an underwriting office in say Malta or Gibraltar, using nothing more advanced than a processing engine to spit out a premium and for you to print your own cover note from a pdf the computer sent you. That is stopping, as they have haemorrhaged money in claims or they have simply shut-up shop, their off-shore but EU based domicile maybe becoming worthless come 31 October.

Don’t get me wrong, the UK motor market is a mess and needs sorting out. Not so much in the cover it provides (that is by and large excellent) but in the way it is packaged and sold. We, at the ‘professional end’ of the market, could not sell our products in the way these clowns ‘sell’ it. But, be careful what you wish for, if the government takes too keen an interest in it, the prices will only travel one way, which is upwards.

It is risk based. Some insurers have assessed your (and others like you) individual risk as uninsurable *, resulting in no quote. Others, on this forum, have had their risk assessed as worth charging the £130 you quote. The assessment of your risk factor seems to be coming out at a minimum of £580 and a maximum of about £1000. What those figures might have been had the insurer not discounted their premium by whatever in light of your age, experience, loss record, shoe size, marital status, security measures or the number of letters in your name, we can only wonder. No doubt the £600 will seem like less of a rip-off when and if you have your £18,000 (or whatever) motorcycle stolen or written off, which of course may never happen or it might happen tomorrow. It will certainly be even better value when and if you somehow manage to stuff one of your two bikes into the side of a 488 Ferrari, injuring the kid in the passenger seat in the process. But hey, that will never happen, as you pased your IAM test sixteen years ago (those annual renewal fees serve some purpose) and have a disc lock, which you always use..... except when you park up, just for a minute, to nip into the cafe for a brew. It’s right outside, just down the street, it’ll be fine....

* More accurately, not within their (or their appointed brokers / intermediaries) current risk appetite.

What happened is that lots of insurers - and their intermediaries - chased a comparatively small motorcycle market, effectively buying market share. This drove down prices, in a feeding frenzy of discounted premiums, some helped as they could accept the business from an underwriting office in say Malta or Gibraltar, using nothing more advanced than a processing engine to spit out a premium and for you to print your own cover note from a pdf the computer sent you. That is stopping, as they have haemorrhaged money in claims or they have simply shut-up shop, their off-shore but EU based domicile maybe becoming worthless come 31 October.

Don’t get me wrong, the UK motor market is a mess and needs sorting out. Not so much in the cover it provides (that is by and large excellent) but in the way it is packaged and sold. We, at the ‘professional end’ of the market, could not sell our products in the way these clowns ‘sell’ it. But, be careful what you wish for, if the government takes too keen an interest in it, the prices will only travel one way, which is upwards.

Wise words and couldn't agree more

Some of the reasons I have moved to RH is that they employ real people with knowledge and understanding, they don't subscribe to the 'search engine' model, you can actually speak to an underwriter, they are fair & equitable and have realistic terms and they mainly do older vehicles

It seems the absolute cheapest i have managed to get it down to is £580 with Bemoto which may be my last choice..

I had one stolen (cut through chain to ground anchor) and am now paying upwards of £1,500 - I say upwards as I have changed bike mid-policy and don't know for sure what the next one will be. The previous policy was £350. This was a protected policy - I've retained full no claims, but as a theft occurred at my address, it still affects the policy.

This is with a Biketrac, Roadlok, factory alarm, Abus 8002 alarmed disc lock and chained to a ground anchor with a Abus chain/x-victory disc lock. Off road, but no garage.

I suspect I'll be paying around £2k in November - when you live where I do there isn't too many insurers willing to quote.

Back
Top Bottom