R1150gsa knocking when you let out the clutch

R11502011

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My mates 1150 is knocking when you engage the clutch but sounds perfect when you pull in the clutch.
What would cause this?

I’m going in, this could be a long one, unless anyone is a mind reader. Right, let’s start . Where is the “knock” coming from ?

Worn splines on the clutch hub.
Pull the starter and check the disc radial play with the clutch disengaged.
Should not have more than 2 mm at the disc od.

My mates 1150 is knocking when you engage the clutch but sounds perfect when you pull in the clutch.
What would cause this?

“Engaging the clutch” and “pulling the clutch in” is the same thing ?

Fair point i meant it knocks when the clutch is let out and sounds perfect when you pull in the clutch. I was thinking input shaft bearing or main bearing crank float. Or is it a clutch problem?

“Engaging the clutch” and “pulling the clutch in” is the same thing ?

That's interesting, because I would have thought 'engaging the clutch' was letting it out so the gears actually made contact (as in, engage them) and 'pulling the clutch in' was taking the gears out of contact by pulling the clutch lever in to the handlebar.

That's interesting, because I would have thought 'engaging the clutch' was letting it out so the gears actually made contact (as in, engage them) and 'pulling the clutch in' was taking the gears out of contact by pulling the clutch lever in to the handlebar.

When 'let out' the clutch is disengaged so the flywheel can spin and allow drive to be transferred from the gearbox to the driveshaft. (I think!)

pretty clear to me what he meant, and im sure it was to the rest of you too.

"engage the clutch" - clutch lever out, friction material engaged, drive to gearbox.

"pull in the clutch" - clutch lever pulled in, friction material disengaged, no drive to gearbox.

"To engage means to fit two parts of a machine together and the opposite to disengage is then to free those parts. From a technical point of view, when you engage the clutch, the motor and gearbox are connected and you are able to drive and when you disengage the clutch, the motor and gearbox are not connected"

From that there t'internet

Remind me about that knock again......

Oooh oohh can I play this one too.

While stationary with the bike in gear when the clutch lever is pulled in the friction plate of the clutch, along with the entire gearbox, is stationary. The flywheel and clutch pressure plate will still be spinning with the engine.
When the clutch lever is let out the friction plate becomes 'trapped' between the flywheel and pressure plate, this then drives the gearbox input shaft and rear wheel if in gear.

The knocking noise could be a multitude of things from the clutch its self to the gearbox... none of which necessarily mean there is a problem.

Compared to the old 750/4 Honda or big Ducatti twins your mates 'rattle' probably sounds almost silent :D

I have the opposite. When stationary and the bike is idling, I hear a knocking that’s linked to the engine speed when I have the clutch leaver pulled in (to remove any confusion).

I’ve just had the clutch replaced and the mechanic (a very trusted and experienced guy) said all looked good. Anything I need to be worried about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"To engage means to fit two parts of a machine together and the opposite to disengage is then to free those parts. From a technical point of view, when you engage the clutch, the motor and gearbox are connected and you are able to drive and when you disengage the clutch, the motor and gearbox are not connected"

From that there t'internet

Remind me about that knock again......

Engaged means it’s being used/operated - disengaged means it’s not being used, it’s in its natural position. So seeing as we’re talking about clutch operation i.e. “pulling the clutch lever in”, engaged means the lever is pulled in and the clutch is disengaged. :D

I once became disengage.....she wasn't too happy about it either.

Back
Top Bottom