My R1150GS Won't Start. Local (Non-BMW) Bike Shop Struggling To Diagnose - Options?

PhaedrusMC

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Heading To Leenane soon, followed by a week in Scotland, so time is an issue.

Local shop says he's exhausted everything he can think of, and has contacted BMW for advice. They claim they've spent 15 hours on it so far, and have suggested I look into alternative options for my trip.

He's having one last shot at it tomorrow, but in the event that he can't sort it, what are my options?

Duffy?

Platinum?

ScottsBikes?

What's the protocol with payment when a garage spends time on your bike but doesn't fix it? He's spent hours on it so needs to be paid for that time, but can I be expected to pay full whack in exchange for my bike returned to me in the same state (not starting) as when I gave it to them?

Not HES - he tried both of mine and another he had access to.

Not starter motor is fine - he tried both of mine (the OEM and the after-market one I bought on here recently).

Odyssey battery is tired, but a new battery didn't make a difference.

This is quite depressing...

Is it getting a spark ?

Is fuel being provided ?

What about compression ?

If you have above, it should run, even just badly.

Is it that it isn't turning over (starter motor issue) or that it is not firing up.

Were the replacement parts from a bike that was running or ones he had spare?

Is ignition powering up, and has kill button/wiring been checked.

Sorry for lots of questions, but it'll help everyone give a more informed reply.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I’d hope/expect repairer gave you staged updates, I.e. we’ve tried this & this, next to try is this etc. In which case he should be paid for time spent, as you agreed he should continue. Hopefully he’ll offer a discount as your problem not fixed

If the 15 hours was a complete shock to you, you have a case for not paying full whack IMO

That suggest that at least the starter button/kill switch are working correctly.

The next check is that the spark is arriving at the correct time, and that fuel is being injected, if that is happening all you are left with is compression testing and if required doing the valve clearances.

The first port of call would be replacing spark plugs, and ensuring there's a good spark, if not look at the coil and leads, as he has ruled out the hes.

From there, check that there is fuel flowing to the injectors.

Has he used any diagnostic tools like a gs-911?

As for payment, a thorny one.

They haven't resolved the issue, and I don't understand why they'd swap starters, unless there was an additional issue too ?

I would have thought two hours labour would be enough to diagnose the general problem and then perhaps another two hours to identify/fix the specific area.

It is turning over - starter does spin.

There's no hope of me solving this - I'm not sufficiently mechanical, and I'm overloaded with work right up to the Friday of Leenane...

Platinum Motors in Bray are on holidays :rolleyes: . Next. How deep are your pockets before you call or bring the bike to Duffy's ?

Or the fuel pump. (Speaking from experience with a 2 year old pump. "Fuelperformance.co.uk" brand pumps are a false economy)
Is the pump priming? Does it sound "normal". Maybe a split fuel hose in the tank. Or a blocked filter. Check delivery at an injector.

I have an old TPS I replaced last month if you want to try it. Working okay when I replaced it but difficult to set accurate adjustment. Can post it tomorrow.

You should hear the fuel pump priming when you turn on the ignition. There is a 4-pin electrical connector under the fuel tank rear rhs, for the fuel pump power and the level indication / low level warning light, is it clean and fully inserted? The fuel pump hoses QD's are valved, so if not clicked home, wont pass fuel.. I don't think the hose connections could be reversed, they are male and female but should be confirmed. Put a spare plug in a plug cap and check for spark? Does RID (Rider Information Display) light up showing fuel level when you switch on?

Thanks all.

The UKGSer community has me feeling emosh - negative stuff tends to hit me hard, but responses here and a couple of PMs have me feeling optimistic and more up again, like a solution is possible...

I'll be talking with the dealer tomorrow - they have it back on the workbench first thing. Manpower shortage means they've been behind in their workload for months, to which I've been sympathetic and so have been putting very little pressure on them. That's gotten me nowhere. They're sound lads and a very well respected dealer overall, but not particularly familiar with BMW. So my pitch tomorrow will be that the bike doesn't come down from their workbench till it's back working again. I'll be telling them (again) to check the TPS.

A colleague suggested as a back-up I do look into buying something to get me through this Leenane/Scotland trip and then selling it on after that. In searches, I found a 2007 mid-size bike that would do nicely, but I think I fancy it as a keeper... As well as my GS... :cool: Unless the dealer charges me full whack for all the hours they put into it...

Here's hoping it gets fixed quickly.

Yes bmw's have their own little foibles, but the basics are the same no matter what 4T it is.

If there's anyone near to you that has a gs-911 see if they can get it onto your bike, it might be helpful.

Good luck and have a great holiday.

.I have an old TPS I replaced last month if you want to try it. Working okay when I replaced it but difficult to set accurate adjustment. Can post it tomorrow.

Doesn't matter with the 1150 it doesn't require an absolute value like the 1100 did. no need to dick about with voltmeter etc.

Heading To Leenane soon, followed by a week in Scotland, so time is an issue.

Local shop says he's exhausted everything he can think of, and has contacted BMW for advice. They claim they've spent 15 hours on it so far, and have suggested I look into alternative options for my trip.

He's having one last shot at it tomorrow, but in the event that he can't sort it, what are my options?

Duffy?

Platinum?

ScottsBikes?

What's the protocol with payment when a garage spends time on your bike but doesn't fix it? He's spent hours on it so needs to be paid for that time, but can I be expected to pay full whack in exchange for my bike returned to me in the same state (not starting) as when I gave it to them?

Not HES - he tried both of mine and another he had access to.

Not starter motor is fine - he tried both of mine (the OEM and the after-market one I bought on here recently).

Odyssey battery is tired, but a new battery didn't make a difference.

This is quite depressing...

I will lend you my bike. You have to collect it tomorrow before two. I am on a plane to barcelona then....

I'll pm you my number now

We have met a couple of times before, you are a decent type and I'm happy to lend it to you. You can drop it back at mine and leave the keys at reception in RTE with my name on them. Jobs a good one.IMG_8130.jpg

Speechless...

I haven't ruled out my own bike being ready, though the dealer didn't come back to me today with any update. :blast

Thanks Owen. I'll call you tomorrow either way.

Back
Top Bottom