Advice please

JR1K

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,
Four of us are planning a trip to Ypres to the Menim gate and then down to Aushwitz.
Date will be 25th May 2020.
We would be grateful for suggestions of possible routes through Belgium, poss Luxembourg Germany and Poland.

We would like to do a max of 300 miles a day and would appreciate places to visit as well as any accommodation en route to Poland.

Cheers

JR

Look at Ride magazine website. They have complete routes that can then be joined, changed etc. I used them through the Ardennes etc this summer. Bang on. Easy enough to download, import into basecamp and alter

What kind of thing do you want to see along the way, what kind of accommodation would you prefer, what bikes are you riding?

That might sound strange but you might want to visit sites of 20th century historical interest or you might want to visit the sites of things that happened 200 years earlier. You might want to camp, you might want to go for budget hotels or you might want a bit of luxury and you might be on big fat tourers or you might be on 600cc sports bikes.

The four of you can do some work...

Here’s a start... it’s Auschwitz, not Aushwitz.

Whilst you ponder on the questions raised, here’s the ever popular Kurviger suggestion:

https://kurv.gr/McVBf

That is 1000 miles, avoiding toll roads / motorways from Ypres to the camp in Poland, which is near enough a straight line, west to east. 300 miles a day is.... um.... 900 miles in three days, plus a 100 and you are there. Stop off in Dresden, maybe. Tool about in the Belgian Ardennes en-route, do Prague.... but that all adds extra days.

Here’s another starter. Type something like, ‘calais to auschwitz motorbikes’ into Google; four simple words. By way of easy comparison, your enquiry of UKGSer had about 50.

Up pops lots of links. I hit on one, which is a guided tour:

http://www.mcitours.com/S10/2/Poland-Krakow-Zakopane.html

Whilst that might not appeal, don’t just slam the site shut. Read the blurb, you can work out fairly easily the time it takes them, the towns they pass through / stop in and the things they do.

Here’s another, MILEAGE
150-300 miles ( longest day 350 miles):

https://www.motorcycletours.co.uk/tours/current/poland.html

Copy them, it’s not a crime.

Come on, you can do it. Try and use some imagination. There are four of you and you have months ahead of you all.

Richard :beerjug:

JR, you leave 25 May next year; that is certain. On what day do you plan on:

A. Arriving at Ypres

B. Leaving Ypres

C. Arriving at Auschwitz. Note, at at maximum of 300 miles a day - and given a distance of 1000 miles - this cannot be less than three full days after B

D. Leaving Auschwitz to commence your return home

E. Arriving back at home, which is where?

This will give you (and others) some ideas on what to see, do and where to ride between the 25th of May and whatever day it is you plan / have to be back at home.

Might seem obvious, but you need to time your stay in Ypres so that you are able to witness the last post ceremony at the Menin Gate at 8pm(everyday)....therefore you need to stay there or nearby.

The Cloth Hall museum will take half a day as well, but if at all possible, is a must.

Many thanks, for all the advice.

I will check out the web sites as suggested and will cherry pick the best / most suited to our trip.

Cheers

Might seem obvious, but you need to time your stay in Ypres so that you are able to witness the last post ceremony at the Menin Gate at 8pm(everyday)....therefore you need to stay there or nearby.

The Cloth Hall museum will take half a day as well, but if at all possible, is a must.

half a day ? are you a sloth? its ok but not half a days worth:D

A date of leaving that's certain .. ?

Don't hold yer breath ... :D

Ha! You clearly have inside knowledge of the ferries which are supposed to serve us!

If you are going near Dresden, then Colditz Castle is a must visit but allow a morning for the tour .

I’d allow at least one night at Ypres or Leper depending on your preference, eat before the Menin gate ceremony, many places are rammed afterwards. If you only see one thing, make it the Flanders in the fields museum in the Cloth hall. Tyne Cot if you only have time for one cemetery. Avoid the Kennedy tunnel nr Antwerp around rush hours.

If you get to Poland stop in Krakow and visit both camps at Auschwitz, it’s not a one or the other situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’d allow at least one night at Ypres or Leper depending on your preference, eat before the Menin gate ceremony, many places are rammed afterwards. If you only see one thing, make it the Flanders in the fields museum in the Cloth hall. Tyne Cot if you only have time for one cemetery. Avoid the Kennedy tunnel nr Antwerp around rush hours.

If you get to Poland stop in Krakow and visit both camps at Auschwitz, it’s not a one or the other situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stayed in Krakow in May this year, temp was mid 30's theres a fair bit of walking involved around the camps and not ideal in biking attire, easier to book the tour a coach tour from the city, plenty of places to book or pre-book on line.

Back
Top Bottom