Lithium Batteries

big fella

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions relating to lithium batteries.
Is anyone using them in their xchallenge and apart from their light weight are there any other benefits ie will it crank my bike longer to help start it.
Can they be connected to an optimate to trickle charge them.
Thanks.

Can’t be connected to a optimate. They’re better at holding a charge so shouldn’t need one. The other question is a how long is a piece of string kind of one. You should be able to fit a more powerful battery in the space of the original one as the power density is greater. We got a lithium battery for my sons nsr 125 and while the outer was the same size the battery inside was much smaller. It always did the trick. JJH

I have mixed thoughts.
My wife's Sertao has had the same lithium battery, the bikes stands for months and always starts immediately.

On the other hand I've been on trips where others lithium battery has caused problems that wouldn't arise with a conventional battery.
So for me they're not worth the weight saving.

I have mixed thoughts.
My wife's Sertao has had the same lithium battery, the bikes stands for months and always starts immediately.

On the other hand I've been on trips where others lithium battery has caused problems that wouldn't arise with a conventional battery.
So for me they're not worth the weight saving.

Echo those thoughts, especially on the X Bikes where they are already very light and the battery is not very big.

I was photographing some specials for the magazines yesterday and the guy who builds them fits Lithium batteries so they can fit under the tiny seats etc - BUT, whilst they will spin a 750 triple happily, they don't work well with a standard rectifier, he buys in some special rectifier from the USA that adds extra resistance to prevent the battery from overcharging on the bike. The way he explained it to me was:
normal lead batteries have greater internal resistance, so any minor overcharging by the bike's generator can be 'absorbed' by the natural resistance. With the Lithium having much less internal resistance the battery cannot withstand any over charging, which is why they swell fairly frequently. In the last week, Foley motorcycles where I pop in for stuff and a coffee and the owner is a friend of mine, and an X Country owner (from new) - they have EIGHT bikes they have had to fetch this week alone, all with lithium battery problems. They were all blow up like a balloon and starting to melt too... the bikes rectifiers were simply not good enough to use with lithium batteries.

So, my take on it is:
If absolute weight saving, such as on a race bike where the last 1/10th mph is vital, then probably it is worth it and there is budget in the racing costings to fit a special regulator/rectifier.
On a special custom bike that has very limited bodywork and nowhere to fit a battery box for a coventional battery without spoiling the lines of the project... likewise.
However, on a gad about, shopping conveyance, jolly ride type machine - it simply isn't worth the bother and possible stranding.

I know this is an old thread, but just to add, I used one in a trip, needed to recharge the battery because of other draining issue. Left it with a local workshop in Dakar, I returned to a blown, melted mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not sure about bike batteries but from my day’s designing battery chargers for Tetra radios, the lithium ones required far more precise charging and needed extensive protection circuitry to stop them going up in flames if the charger got it wrong!

So unless BMW say you can use them and specify the exact type and the exact charger to be used then I’d steer clear of them.

From my limited but expensive experience I’d agree. Cutting out Kit-Kats and wine gums is cheaper and more effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just had to replace mine after it failing on me.

Weighed up lithium option (have one on my 449), but still expensive and went for this trusty option instead

At £40 delivered it was hard to resist

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191031-205947_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20191031-205947_eBay.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 140
Just had to replace mine after it failing on me.

Weighed up lithium option (have one on my 449), but still expensive and went for this trusty option instead

At £40 delivered it was hard to resist

A good choice Gareth , thats what I have fitted to all of my G650X bikes and never had an issue

I'm also "lead" to believe li-ion batteries are more sensitive to temperature. Also they may not be brand-new. li-ion cells can and are repurposed for lower grade applications once their primary use has been expanded.

Back
Top Bottom