new harley rider

Me too.....

Very dated design now ... sadly this Harley is quite out of fashion... too much chrome, wrong wheels, ducks arse fender...hope they didn’t pay too much...

I hate this "Duck's Arse" rear fenders... yes..Wood Boy...mudguard.. ok?

Being sold as a 2007 103?.. should be a 96 surely....

I hate this "Duck's Arse" rear fenders... yes..Wood Boy...mudguard.. ok?

Don't feel you need to mind your Ps and Qs around me, you call it what you like. :augie

Anyway, fat bob fenders (to use the correct vernacular). I also used to dislike them with a passion.......but

........here it comes........however.......on the right bike I quite like them. They've grown on me in recent years. The blue abomination above not being the right bike and is a classic example of a soul sucking example of a Harley that has been utterly ruined with tasteless shite. These are the types of shitehawks you have to inevitably wade through when trying to find a secondhand Harley to buy. it can be an utterly crushing experience to see what people do to them.

Anyway fat bob fenders on the right bike. I give you the Softail Springer Custom.

Attachments

• harleydavidson-softail-springer-11.jpg
    harleydavidson-softail-springer-11.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 190
  • Custom_Harley-Davidson_FXSTS-Softail-Springer.jpg
    Custom_Harley-Davidson_FXSTS-Softail-Springer.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 189
Or indeed what one of our Japanese friends has done to his Evo Dyna with a shortened fat bob fender in this clip looks ok to my eyes.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1A93a1Ee2tc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ooh and whilst completely unrelated I've just stumbled across this beauty that is the same model as mine.....new ideas to waste more money on mine.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vkUIyXykTn0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm gonna put one of them rear duck arse bob fenders on junk.
This is gunna be ace, its not actually got a front fender at the moment , it rusted through and fell off somewhere.

The bike just isnt for me, i wanted to like it and it does what it does well but I jumped in feet first to try something different and it didnt work out :)

It’s a nice Harley, it will sell easy enough I reckon....

The bike just isnt for me, i wanted to like it and it does what it does well but I jumped in feet first to try something different and it didnt work out :)

That’s a shame.

How tall are you? I had a new softail (Fatboy) for just over a year and at 6 2” found the new chassis just too cramped. Anyone over 6 foot tall will maybe struggle to get comfortable on any of the new Softails possibly?

I have a Road King now (bigger chassis) which is much better for me. :thumb2

It surprises me how small the new Softails are - considering how big most Yanks are...

Not one is suitable for me...

I am 5ft 7 and the bike fits me a treat, I wanted to like the bike and even talked myself into it, probably cause its different from what I would usually ride, but after 700miles I came to the conclusion its just not for me, saying that if it doesn't sell then I will have to change my outlook on it :)

Harleys get under your skin - if so you will never be without one.... if not - it will be sold within the year......

quite simple really.

T

I thought that until I got an Indian, the HD was quickly forgotten, sold on a year later and I will probably never own another HD. (Unless a matt black Crossbones comes along at the right price) but do not miss the Harley at all.

I thought that until I got an Indian, the HD was quickly forgotten, sold on a year later and I will probably never own another HD. (Unless a matt black Crossbones comes along at the right price) but do not miss the Harley at all.

Deja vu anyone? :augie

Now look....we get it, you are not keen on Harleys.

A Harley is not an efficient brand of motorcycle. Just about any brand is going to be faster, handle better, stop better etc etc. Speaking personally, I wouldn't dream of buying a new Harley but then I wouldn't dream of buying a new BMW either.

For me, the joy in ownership of (an older) Harley is because of their inefficiencies. I like the agricultural feel of the engine that you feel beating beneath you, the way you have to hustle it into corners, the fact that gear changes can not and will not be hurried.

I also love the fact it can satisfy my fickle urges in changing how the bike looks with relatively little effort. I know that in twenty years (legislation notwithstanding) it will still be going quite nicely without being a corroded heap so long as I look after it.

Mostly though I love the way that when I ride one, I don't feel hurried, I don't need or want to ride fast and it leaves me feeling that all is well with the world. That is worth more than brake horsepower figures or razor sharp handling.

That's just me though.

Now look....we get it, you are not keen on Harleys.

A Harley is not an efficient brand of motorcycle. Just about any brand is going to be faster, handle better, stop better etc etc. Speaking personally, I wouldn't dream of buying a new Harley but then I wouldn't dream of buying a new BMW either.

For me, the joy in ownership of (an older) Harley is because of their inefficiencies. I like the agricultural feel of the engine that you feel beating beneath you, the way you have to hustle it into corners, the fact that gear changes can not and will not be hurried.

I also love the fact it can satisfy my fickle urges in changing how the bike looks with relatively little effort. I know that in twenty years (legislation notwithstanding) it will still be going quite nicely without being a corroded heap so long as I look after it.

Mostly though I love the way that when I ride one, I don't feel hurried, I don't need or want to ride fast and it leaves me feeling that all is well with the world. That is worth more than brake horsepower figures or razor sharp handling.

That's just me though.

I agree with all you say, that's why I have a 40 year old airhead (bike not wife) it has all those traits you describe, i'm not anti HD and there are a few models I like but mostly older stuff, like you I am not enthused by the current range. For now I am happy with the alternative American, but each to their own and whatever floats your boat. Indian may be a flash in the pan and disappear in 10 years like Victory, I hope not but who knows:nenau? if that happens I may revisit the HD thing but not knocking anyone who has one. But you should not feel you have to justify why you like and ride one there is no stigma attached to it that I'm aware of:augie

Back
Top Bottom