new harley rider

Now look....we get it, you are not keen on Harleys.

A Harley is not an efficient brand of motorcycle. Just about any brand is going to be faster, handle better, stop better etc etc. Speaking personally, I wouldn't dream of buying a new Harley but then I wouldn't dream of buying a new BMW either.

For me, the joy in ownership of (an older) Harley is because of their inefficiencies. I like the agricultural feel of the engine that you feel beating beneath you, the way you have to hustle it into corners, the fact that gear changes can not and will not be hurried.

I also love the fact it can satisfy my fickle urges in changing how the bike looks with relatively little effort. I know that in twenty years (legislation notwithstanding) it will still be going quite nicely without being a corroded heap so long as I look after it.

Mostly though I love the way that when I ride one, I don't feel hurried, I don't need or want to ride fast and it leaves me feeling that all is well with the world. That is worth more than brake horsepower figures or razor sharp handling.

That's just me though.
I think I can relate to all of the above. Wish I had a spare 5k, because one of our local bike shops has got the sweetest looking bike for sale that I ever did see...an 883 sportster low in a pretty paint job and acres of chrome!!!! :blast

Still trying to talk myself out of it, though I made the mistake of showing it to the wife (clever sales lady at the bike shop took a pic of me while I was sitting on the fucking thing. I appear to be grinning like a masturbating chimp). To my shock /dismay / horror my wife thought the bike looked gorgeous and suggested I sell hers and buy this one!! She must've thought I looked stupid on it though (maybe it was the grin?) cos she wanted the bike for herself :eek:

Anyway, the point is, I've never really seen myself as someone who could ride - let alone own - a Harley for all the usual and clichéd reasons, but what you've said here makes sense and moreover, maybe makes sense of why I was so smitten with that bike. Maybe I'm looking for an excuse to slow down and find reasons to take a different viewpoint on riding and perhaps, life in general?

Or maybe I'm just sickening for something and will snap out of it in a few days? :monkeypiz:D Hopefully, someone else might have bought it by then!!!

Don’t buy an 883
Avoid After market chrome tat
Don’t buy a low..

Happy to help

However..

Do buy a 1200
Do buy a 48

Happy to help

RKS ? I blame MDB.

Looks nice in this colour :

0da84ac9c6029421675264552089d53d.jpg

Harleys get under your skin - if so you will never be without one.... if not - it will be sold within the year......

quite simple really.

T

Agreed on this! Mine lasted almost 3 weeks. That was 20 years ago though... I promised myself never again, but I think the time (and my age and the product line )has come for a retry...

Back
Top Bottom