R9T - Suspension Options......

It looks to be ok on static and free sag,
The non adjustable forks dont have actual damping valves and can feel harsh,
Changing oil grade can help but could end up too soft / hard,
Replacement cartridges make a big difference but at a high cost,
Cartridge emulators are a valve that fits under the spring so no major work other than drilling the damping holes in the tube to a larger size, and trim the spacer,
It looks like you're allready there with the spring ,
Check out gold valves on u tube , its explained by the guy who designed them,
There are uk suppliers, yss do a cheaper version at around £80,
I have fitted a few sets with good results over the years,
My 9 t has the later adjustable forks so not needed,

Btw........does anyone knowing the 2017 fork internals (adjustable) fit the 2016 (non-adjustable) forks?

Could this be an easy upgrade?

Jgk

They do take a cartridge kit so worth checking real oem for common parts,
There was a thread on using 1000 rr forks on 9 t owners, the cartridges wouldn't interchange as too long,
There is a complete pair of later forks on e bay but at £495 or offer, its an expensive mod, item223674942499,
If you are ok on the cost and really want adjustability and genuine forks thats an option,
The gold valve emulators emerged from racing before cartridge forks were common,
For the small cost and a bit of work make a significant improvement, but need to remove spring and adjust,

Quick update, for anyone interested.....

More testing a fiddling with compression and tyre pressures have resulted in a tangible improvement.

I've opened both high and low speed compression 1 click from the Wilbers factory set up. Also running 36psi rear and 32psi front.

Oh and 25mm (approx) increase in rear height.

Feels much better. The front is less harsh....obviously. the rear is softer and feels secure when banked over....foot peg felt the improvement!!!

On bumpy roads the bike is better.

Not sure I'm going to use 'transformed' but certainly a decent improvement over the OE and the factory Wilber set up.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Cheers.

Quick update, for anyone interested.....

More testing a fiddling with compression and tyre pressures have resulted in a tangible improvement.

I've opened both high and low speed compression 1 click from the Wilbers factory set up. Also running 36psi rear and 32psi front.

Oh and 25mm (approx) increase in rear height.

Feels much better. The front is less harsh....obviously. the rear is softer and feels secure when banked over....foot peg felt the improvement!!!

On bumpy roads the bike is better.

Not sure I'm going to use 'transformed' but certainly a decent improvement over the OE and the factory Wilber set up.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Cheers.

I have no doubt that perception is relative and I certainly felt, and still feel, comfortable using the word.

Back
Top Bottom