Africa Twin Off-Road Sat Nav

Have you used the 276cx with the TalkyToaster Maps?

Im looking at the Talking Toaster maps on my laptop right now, pretty pointless when you can use a Montana with OS mapping

Of course the cx can cope with them, there's feck all real detail :D

The buttons are fine when used to them and in real life not a problem.
Russian satellites as a bonus, really? you're not likely to lose reception under the trees.
And it seems for off road you're now using TalkyToaster Vector maps when in reality the OS mapping is what you really want to use but this unit can't cope with them.

Oh it has a big screen though :)

But the TalkyToaster maps are better than OS.... they're updated frequently and clearer

Im looking at the Talking Toaster maps on my laptop right now, pretty pointless when you can use a Montana with OS mapping

Ok fine,

So you're happy with yours.....

I'm happy with mine.....

:D

But the TalkyToaster maps are better than OS.... they're updated frequently and clearer

Now you're talking shite, the only updates an offroad gps mapping needs are rights of way....which the TT doesnt even have, so you're trying to download rights of way over the top which are not updated anyway

Now you're talking shite, the only updates an offroad gps mapping needs are rights of way....which the TT doesnt even have, so you're trying to download rights of way over the top which are not updated anyway

Why you being so argumentative?

I don't care haha....

Because theoretically this should have been the unit we were all waiting for but nin reality it's a paper weight.....with a great screen

I disagree... I like it :D

:D .... I'm happy, you're not. Go for a walk, it might cheer you up :thumb2

Don't talk to me about going for a feck7n walk I'm waiting to go bastard shopping with my missus and it's all your fault :D

Don't talk to me about going for a feck7n walk I'm waiting to go bastard shopping with my missus and it's all your fault :D

:D .... feel your pain

I went to the Ballet with my Wife recently, and I spent 90% of my time there day-dreaming about a motorcycle slow riding course I'm going to set up this Summer..... was quite a nice experience :D

: and I spent 90% of my time there day-dreaming about a motorcycle slow riding course I'm going to set up this Summer..... was quite a nice experience :D

A nice experience because at least your sat nav can keep up?

Screens shots are very pretty but lets have a look at 10 years progress. :blast

Ok... I don't have any of that shit*

So why does mine behave itself then... and navigates using TalkyToaster and City Navigator fine?

* Yes, it is slow loading Garmin Ordinance Survey Maps, and there can be a significant delay in loading the page scrolling. But on TalkyToaster maps I haven't seen any realtime cursor delays in pinpointing my location or any delays scrolling through TalkyToaster Maps. Not that I've noticed anyways. Admittedly I'm not staring at the Sat Nav while riding, but have never missed a turn point beep.

Are the maps loaded onto your YouTube example on a really slow SD Card? Read speeds make a difference

Has that 276cx firmware been updated and how old is that video? (Edit: I can see the video was published in March 2017 - so nearly 3 years ago) Have they updated internal hardware in recent models, I'd heard they have !?

The big benefit I've found on mine is that :-

a) The TalkyToaster maps ARE detailed compared to a City Navigator map (which shows nothing). So I have got the ability to follow routes off-road easily, and get an idea of whats around me.

b) The Screen is amazing, even in direct sunlight and I can always see what's going on... in high quality detail.

c) I can easily switch between maps and look at the Garmin Ordinance Survey map if I want (admittedly it'll take 30 seconds to load sometimes, still more convenient than hunting though your stuff to get a paper OS map out).

d) It's weatherproof, water, mud, heat, and has buttons not a touchscreen. Ideal for off-roading.

e) It can also be used for street navigation at a push, which I've used plenty of times to get me home.

So no, it definitely is not a normal SatNav device for speed or convenience, but has been good so far for me off-road. It's highly likely that I'm not as good as you for OS Map reading, but just for mapping routes and following downloaded routes off-road, its certainly good enough for me :D

On a normal SatNav Screen with a City Navigator, this is the information I get.

It show's me absolutely nothing. No road names, no road type, no contour lines, nothing.

It says 'Minor Highway + Boat' because that's what I've named that weighpoint. Otherwise it'd say nothing.

Attachments

• CN1.jpg
    CN1.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 89
  • CN2.jpg
    CN2.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 96
The Talky Toaster Map shows me a lot more detail in that the BOAT is actually marked up on the map to see easily.

The Contour Lines are there so I can see gradients....

Place names, ground type, more river details, gates, bridleways, walkways.

A lot more detail, specifically useful to me on a motorcycle, and for easy reading at a glance !

Attachments

• TT2.jpg
    TT2.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 81
  • TT3.jpg
    TT3.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 89
Now.... the Garmin Ordinance Survey mapping has details like location names, parking etc....

But I don't need to know that while riding my motorcycle.

AND, even if I did want to know this stuff, I can just easily flick between maps. So it's still available if I wanted it. :thumb2

Attachments

• Topo2.jpg
    Topo2.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Topo3.jpg
    Topo3.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 89
When you zoom right out on TalkyToaster Maps, you get a good overview of whats around you as well.

Similar to Ordinance Survey

Attachments

• TT1.jpg
    TT1.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 88
I also know that Phil @ Ride the Wild in Snowdonia uses the Garmin 276cx as his main GPS device and he seems happy with his as well, I asked him :beerjug:

If I remember rightly, he put me onto the TalkyToaster Maps, as he uses these in the middle of bloody nowhere.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-RAr47sRYr0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back
Top Bottom