What Tyres on Your new 1250 GS

Just solved the problem with the crappy Anakee Adventure tyres. Can’t wait to try these out

c17d5bbfed3fd2bc32bebf57bb2d2d1d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now I do like that my next one,s depending on sticks report from Spain, obviously, nobody buys a tyre without referring to stick. :D

Continental road attack 3 just fitted ready for 7 day Euro trip. Same as.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anyone tried the Metzeler Tourance next

I've run 3 sets of TA3's on 2 KTM's, the tires were good for grip I never had a moment wet or dry. They were noisy, the front looked good after 2k miles but then wore very quickly after that and became the usual sharp profile making the bike tip in fast, also the tread starts to cup and whine when cornering. The rear was similar seemed to be wearing well then all of a sudden the middle profile would flatten and lead to the rear having a pronounced step which also affected handling though still gripped fine. Looking fwd to getting some miles in on the Battlax and seeing how they compare, hopefully being dual compound they might keep their profile longer.

I've run 3 sets of TA3's on 2 KTM's, the tires were good for grip I never had a moment wet or dry. They were noisy, the front looked good after 2k miles but then wore very quickly after that and became the usual sharp profile making the bike tip in fast, also the tread starts to cup and whine when cornering. The rear was similar seemed to be wearing well then all of a sudden the middle profile would flatten and lead to the rear having a pronounced step which also affected handling though still gripped fine. Looking fwd to getting some miles in on the Battlax and seeing how they compare, hopefully being dual compound they might keep their profile longer.
TA3's are only a new tyre.......how have you gone through 3 sets already??

I could be wrong but I think they where only released a few months ago.

Sent from a U11

Mmm you could of course be right, but they looked the same as the ones in the Photos which may be a bad assumption on my part. I'll check.

Mmm you could of course be right, but they looked the same as the ones in the Photos which may be a bad assumption on my part. I'll check.

Yes you are right it was two sets of TA3's and one set of TA2's, the second set of TA3's were still on the bike when I sold it but looking sorry, its easy to eat tyres on a KTM.

Continental Trailattack vs RoadAttack -- Anyone any experience of comparisons\opinions between the two versions in terms of grip and mileage?.
I'm going to try some on my 1250gs at the next change but undecided which version to go for. They will only be used on tarmac. The names obviously suggest I should go for the Roadattack but would like to know how the two compare in the real world on mileage achieved and grip??. Assume the Trailattacks may give a higher milage than the roadattacks? and the road attacks might give better grip on tarmac??.

In response to the original post --- I had Bridgestone A41's on from new and they did 6000 miles. Wasn't too sure about wet grip with them as I had a a couple of unexpected slides from the rear on damp roads. Fitted the older version (A40's) when I changed them and they feel stiffer in the sidewalls and more positive, BUT new tyres always feel better than your old ones :) .

Yep...I love A41's in the dry and off road they're not too bad in gravel/fire roads but in the wet I've also had a few little moments. Then again, most tyres on such a heavy bike rarely cope that well with greasy roads or overbanding when it gets damp, so extra care of course is always needed. Ride accordingly and the A41's are as safe as houses. We tend to forget that the marketing claims were for a big improvement on really wet conditions over the A40s but on track. Race tracks are not public roads and are likely more of a grippy and well maintained surface to begin with. The tyres I always rated in really wet conditions (but many others didn't) were the original Michelin Pilot touring tyre, sadly no longer available. When it comes time to replace the A41s I may be tempted to the Roadtech01s. they have a good following and I like the profile which would appear to allow more contact area when leaned over on the rear tyre (compared them with mine on my mate's KTM).

Roasdtec 01s don't last long before they lose their nice new feeling, in fact they didn't last long at all.
I think the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2s are the best combo of wet/dry grip with good mileage and fantastic feedback, same compound as the Angle GT2 I am told. Also for me they felt good all the way to 4500mls when i had to change them for a long trip.
Pirelli road 5s have more edge grip but you need to be right on the edge of the tyre to make it count otherwise that Scorpion shod GS will still be up your tail pipe.

Anyone tried the Metzeler Tourance next

I’ve used a couple of pairs. They lasted well and performed as well as any other main stream tyre. For the right price, I would buy them again. I think my last pair was £200 fitted to loose wheels.

Roasdtec 01s don't last long before they lose their nice new feeling, in fact they didn't last long at all.
I think the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2s are the best combo of wet/dry grip with good mileage and fantastic feedback, same compound as the Angle GT2 I am told. Also for me they felt good all the way to 4500mls when i had to change them for a long trip.
Pirelli road 5s have more edge grip but you need to be right on the edge of the tyre to make it count otherwise that Scorpion shod GS will still be up your tail pipe.

They've been on my radar too. The only reason I tried the A41s instead of those is because I'm a tight wad and the A41s were a lot cheaper! I think I was quoted £280 fitted for the Scorpions and got the A41s fitted for £40 less.

I'm a big fan of the PST2's.

I thought I heard they were the same compound as the original Angle GT's rather than the 2's, but either way that brings me nicely onto the question I wanted to ask which is unless I'm going to spend time on tarmac that is getting a bit shitty why would I choose the PST2's over the GT2's?

I'm on stock A41's and need to change soon.

Anyone got experience of both the PST2's and GT2's?

I think the modern trail tyres are just a name to appeal to the adventure market they are sport touring tyres.
If I was going off offroad I would want a tyre with proper lumps on it.
PST2s or GT2s? Which has the most tread and will last the longest or if they are that close go with the one you know.

I think the modern trail tyres are just a name to appeal to the adventure market they are sport touring tyres.
If I was going off offroad I would want a tyre with proper lumps on it.
PST2s or GT2s? Which has the most tread and will last the longest or if they are that close go with the one you know.
I personally like the "trail" version of the tyres and it's not because I try and "off road".......... I think they are better able to handle the dirty, crappy rural roads through the winter.
The bit of extra "bite" on the front tyre gives me a little bit of peace of mind should I come across some crap that a farmer has left on the road or has been washed onto the road during bad weather.

Sent from a U11

Fair enough....

but I know what I'd rather have on the bike, banked over and running through a line of road dirt.....in December.

Sent from a U11

I have had two pairs of Micelin Pilot 5's. Good feedback, fast turn in and very good in the wet.

Metzler 01"s are good in dry and wet but wear very fast which I guess a very grippy tyre will. Bridgestone road tyre tracked bends very solidly with their rounded profile but were slow to turn relative to Michelin and Mtezler.

Pirelli Scorpion were grippy and solid but slow to warm up and deterioted quickly after 3000 miles.

Just fitted a set of Scorpion 2s, A41 front was done at 2500miles and the back doesn't have much left either.

Just solved the problem with the crappy Anakee Adventure tyres. Can’t wait to try these out

c17d5bbfed3fd2bc32bebf57bb2d2d1d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a pair on order for fitting on my GSA on Wednesday. They will replace the 6800 mile Bridgestone A41s. A41s a good tyre, but the front is well shot before the rear.

Back
Top Bottom