Off road virgin

so don't kid yourself that you know it all

Yes that's why I'm asking.

If not going for the BMW course I think I'll start from the basics (it's cheaper anyway).

so pay £500 and look like a Boss for a couple of days compared to everyone else

:D

No.

:D

So far, I've done the BMW Off-Road School Level 1, and Level 2 foundation.

I'm still shit at off-roading, so I'm now doing some training at Sweet Lamb Adventure Bike Academy. Hopefully getting in 4 days of training soon.

Then next year, I might consider doing BMW ORS Level 2, just for the hell of it and eventually Level 3

But mixed in with regular off-roading in Wales, plus more training with Sweet Lamb and some tours with the guys on here. Lots of experience needed to get good at it :bow

... and even then, I'm not doing any extreme stuff. No chance.

Yes lots of "seat time" as with road riding, is the key once you have learned the basic techniques.Then its a big learning curve like any other sport.

There is also the option of learning on the smaller bikes 250/450`s at many of the schools like Mike Extance,Dave Thorpe Honda etc so take that into account too.

The advantage of the 1200 GS is the bike usually only falls half way down as the heads contact the ground first :D

Yes lots of "seat time" as with road riding, is the key once you have learned the basic techniques.Then its a big learning curve like any other sport.

There is also the option of learning on the smaller bikes 250/450`s at many of the schools like Mike Extance,Dave Thorpe Honda etc so take that into account too.

The advantage of the 1200 GS is the bike usually only falls half way down as the heads contact the ground first :D
Often with a broken ankle underneath it :D

Off Road

If you are a complete novice then seriously consider having a go at a `Trials` school first. You will learn all the basics with a lighter bike and have a great day out .
These are skills that will stand you in good stead when moving on to bigger bike. If fact you might enjoy it that much you might take it up.

Sweet Lamb Adventure Bike Academy
but it's more basic surroundings and you use your own bike.

Sweetlamb is a 6000 acre site with 35 to 40 miles of tracks.
It has the skills area adjacent the garage which features in most of the pictures which is a miniscule part.

Okay, the new timber building they operate from on site is arguably more basic but they have not been operating long as KTM''s adv bike school. So yes you can hire a 790 and 1290.

Along side this Moly still runs his school where you can use your own machine.

The wider complex blows the BMW graded spoil heap (yes it is mining spoil) into the weeds especially with the new mountain road they have put in. The WRC runs through there and has done for years.

Having been to both Sweetlamb and ors SL every time for me.
After a good days training it's great to go cruising round the trails and just take it all in.

If they have a busy weekend on the use the onsite bunkhouse with garage to put your machine in.

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone

Dont forget to pack a first aid kit.............. [joking] :D

Though someone did come off in a rut at BMW on level 1 and need taking to hospital where they strapped his shoulder up so he missed out on day 2.

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone

Here's a sample of the beginners course at Sweet Lamb Adventure Bike Academy, that I did last weekend.

Gives you an idea of using your own bike and what sort of terrain you'll be riding on. :thumb

This is actually me, on my Africa Twin DCT. We're in formation so there's no pressure for speed, just practice techniques.

https://youtu.be/LAgvUQ52wyw

Ah nice. Thanks for posting, gives a decent idea.

Yeah, remember though the bones of the training isn't recorded. So all your techniques and skills are practiced in the arena. These rides are just to get you out and about inbetween training :D

Back
Top Bottom