Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Off road virgin

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    1. You have a degree of fitness - - get out on a mountain bike and put some miles in. Being aerobically fit will help you to enjoy it
    This is generally a good rule for motorbiking in general.

Hijacking the thread because I was going to ask a similar question.
    I'm kinda crap offroad. I do get around (at lower speeds) but with way less confidence than on the road of course, I have zero understanding of how to negotiate a bend at speed on gravel (mind, on an ADV).
    I did more and more miles in the last couple of years, but wanted to have some proper training to understand at least the basics.

Some of the options I was looking at were the BMW course and Sweet Lamb.

Question is: how basic are the basic courses?
    I'm tempted to start from the bottom (you never know what you can miss in learning) but I've spoken with some people who did the basic BMW course and then rode with them and, well... you get the gist.
    It's not cheap, hence the question: shall one skip the "intro"?
    R1150R '03 [on hiatus]
    R1200GS Adv '07
    HP2 Sport '11
    [I'm the biggest limit on my bike]

Which is closest to you and what bike is your preference as they are both excellent schools to learn the basics at?
    Yes they run a Level 1 which is basically learning to pick the bike up [most important lesson], weighting the pegs to help you maneuver and dealing the cambers and ruts.
    Its always a school day on the bike.

EDIT if your down London Honda or triumph is probably the closest to you as its not the bike that is important but what you learn.
    Caution : May stop suddenly

Thanks.

Yes, I cannot really give a damn about what bike/brand the course is.
    It's just that I had positive feedback about those two.
    R1150R '03 [on hiatus]
    R1200GS Adv '07
    HP2 Sport '11

2017 R1200GSA & Africa Twin Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by er-minio View Post
    Question is: how basic are the basic courses?
    I'm tempted to start from the bottom (you never know what you can miss in learning) but I've spoken with some people who did the basic BMW course and then rode with them and, well... you get the gist.
    It's not cheap, hence the question: shall one skip the "intro"?
    Well that's a hard one to answer.

If you've been off-road loads of times before, then you might consider the Level 1 too basic. But then you may have already picked up bad habits that are setting you off on the wrong path and Level 1 might just catch you in time.

If you've never been off-road, then you might consider the Level 1 the perfect start point.

BUT, I have to say, when I did Level 1, everyone who attended fell off their bikes (except the instructor), so don't kid yourself that you know it all

It's one of those questions, if you have to ask, you need to start at Level 1

Look at it this way, even if you're quite good or a natural, you're going to look bloody excellent on the day, so pay £500 and look like a Boss for a couple of days compared to everyone else. Either way, you'll love it, it's great fun.

Oh my god, can you see any corrosion yet?

so don't kid yourself that you know it all
    Yes that's why I'm asking.

If not going for the BMW course I think I'll start from the basics (it's cheaper anyway).

so pay £500 and look like a Boss for a couple of days compared to everyone else

No.

R1150R '03 [on hiatus]
    R1200GS Adv '07
    HP2 Sport '11

2017 R1200GSA & Africa Twin Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    So far, I've done the BMW Off-Road School Level 1, and Level 2 foundation.

I'm still shit at off-roading, so I'm now doing some training at Sweet Lamb Adventure Bike Academy. Hopefully getting in 4 days of training soon.

Then next year, I might consider doing BMW ORS Level 2, just for the hell of it and eventually Level 3

But mixed in with regular off-roading in Wales, plus more training with Sweet Lamb and some tours with the guys on here. Lots of experience needed to get good at it

... and even then, I'm not doing any extreme stuff. No chance.

Oh my god, can you see any corrosion yet?

Yes lots of "seat time" as with road riding, is the key once you have learned the basic techniques.Then its a big learning curve like any other sport.

There is also the option of learning on the smaller bikes 250/450`s at many of the schools like Mike Extance,Dave Thorpe Honda etc so take that into account too.

The advantage of the 1200 GS is the bike usually only falls half way down as the heads contact the ground first

Quote Originally Posted by Andi_archer View Post
    Yes lots of "seat time" as with road riding, is the key once you have learned the basic techniques.Then its a big learning curve like any other sport.

There is also the option of learning on the smaller bikes 250/450`s at many of the schools like Mike Extance,Dave Thorpe Honda etc so take that into account too.

The advantage of the 1200 GS is the bike usually only falls half way down as the heads contact the ground first
    Often with a broken ankle underneath it
    KEA

Quote Originally Posted by Timolgra View Post
    Often with a broken ankle underneath it
    Nope...... I may fall off [one advantage of it not being my bike] but I sure as hell get my legs out of the way

Off Road

If you are a complete novice then seriously consider having a go at a `Trials` school first. You will learn all the basics with a lighter bike and have a great day out .
    These are skills that will stand you in good stead when moving on to bigger bike. If fact you might enjoy it that much you might take it up.

Bloody mud ruts! Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post

Sweet Lamb Adventure Bike Academy
    but it's more basic surroundings and you use your own bike.
    Sweetlamb is a 6000 acre site with 35 to 40 miles of tracks.
    It has the skills area adjacent the garage which features in most of the pictures which is a miniscule part.

Okay, the new timber building they operate from on site is arguably more basic but they have not been operating long as KTM''s adv bike school. So yes you can hire a 790 and 1290.

Along side this Moly still runs his school where you can use your own machine.

The wider complex blows the BMW graded spoil heap (yes it is mining spoil) into the weeds especially with the new mountain road they have put in. The WRC runs through there and has done for years.

Having been to both Sweetlamb and ors SL every time for me.
    After a good days training it's great to go cruising round the trails and just take it all in.

If they have a busy weekend on the use the onsite bunkhouse with garage to put your machine in.

Me [and a few others] last April on the first official public training weekend on the KTM Adventure bike experience a great place to train and ride

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone

Quote Originally Posted by delamitri View Post
    Thanks for all the help and advice everyone
    Dont forget to pack a first aid kit.............. [joking]

Though someone did come off in a rut at BMW on level 1 and need taking to hospital where they strapped his shoulder up so he missed out on day 2.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12