K1600B

tanneman

Incomplete Arse
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My GSA went in for a service and I had the pleasure of the Bagger for the day. Not a style of bike that would grow on some but the bit you stare at all day stays the same. I have ridden the GT and GT sport. The GTL got the kick to the sideline just by sitting on it. The Bagger? All I can say is that this is probably the best K1600 you can buy. That might just be my personal opinion. The missus likes it, I like it. Well, when I say the missus, it is also a bike that can make her swear :D Just open the taps in 2nd gear and let it rev out :D

The GT and GT sport suffers from the buffeting that requires constant adjustment of the screen. For me anyway at 5' 10'' and Shoei Neotech. The addition of a top box or pillion reduces this effect on the GT and GT sport. It might be that the design of the tail with the abrupt end with the panniers fitted contributes to this effect. The sloped tail of the Bagger reduces this, with the missus on the back only a slight draft on the kidney area is noticed which would be welcome in hot climates. You set the windscreen at your preferred height/angle and leave it. It is perfect for all speeds. The missus had no complaints sitting on the back but the GSA is her preferred seat because she is a bit higher and the wind protection is a bit better.

Coming from a WC GSA I'm a bit spoiled for a light steering and more forgiving suspension. It took a while to get comfortable with the difference in steering feel. The K1600 has the tendency of dropping in a corner and wanting to steer where to GSA has to have a bit more hustle but less force to steer it. I usually end up on roads less traveled with the GSA and doing the same with the Bagger it is surprisingly compliant despite the road bike short travel suspension.

The comfort that is afforded by the windscreen is complemented by the seats. Very plush and comfortable. Heated too and no problem spending the day in it. Getting back on the GSA the comfort of that seat became apparent. I never had a problem with the GSA seat. My preferred set up is to have the front high and rear low but the short ride back home highlighted the difference in the make up. The Bagger wins this hands down. The missus made the comment that the grab rail is a bit too thick for her to get a good grip and she has to hold on to me or the bike. The knee position is better on the GSA for her and because the engine braking on the GSA is better/more she feels the braking on the Bagger more. Just me that still has to adjust the throttle of the bike despite spending most of the day on it.

As K1600 owners and those who had a ride on this machine knows it is all about that engine. Lots of power and lots of torque. 25 mph in a village going uphill in 5th gear. No problem. Silky smooth, no transmission back lash like the gen 1, glorious engine sound at any revs, quick shifter that works brilliantly, pops and bangs on the overrun :D. Hill hold is a must on this heavy bike, it makes living with it a doodle.

It will take a while to get proper smooth as one gets used to the feel of the steering and throttle and get familiar with the menus. I was a bit raggedy in the beginning but I got the jest of it and the smoothness returned. This will always be a bike you need to be well in front off and applying the system helps. Overtaking gives the opportunity to twist the throttle for more smiles :D

I can only say that I'm very much taken with this bike. Look past the looks and you'll find a cracker of a machine.

52be23bbd29cab54738d60881f6edafb.jpg

62a76c7be207def3097fb4f845f90023.jpg

a54869d91187538245bec99cf85e9500.jpg

Did you enjoy your visit to Caffeine and Machine and to, I think, the Burton Dassett Hils?

That engine with a quick shifter is astounding. (Awesome plus)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gonna get one?

Given the amount of miles I’m going to do and the fact it’s business I think I’ll go for the known reliability of an R1200RT next. But yes, one day. It fits me perfectly.

You weren’t asking me were you?!

I so wanted one but the leg position killed it for me, so I bought this.

Similar style.

Did you enjoy your visit to Caffeine and Machine and to, I think, the Burton Dassett Hils?

And the first pic is .....?

Broadway Tower (proper Cotswold tourist trap)

Yes Richard, I had a chat with the guy who owns that Triumph Cheney trails bike. He still uses it for the trails competitions. The view from the hills is very good. You can see Leicester from there. Not that the Earth is flat you know :D

What does my head in the the torque of that engine. Going up Burton Dassett Hill is quite steep and it doesn't require any gear lower than 3rd maybe even 4th.

Gonna get one?

Only if you kept that UKGSer sticker on yer bike :D

Maybe, but there is another bike I'm after and for that I'll have to make space in the garage. Life is short and many irons in the fire etc ......

The Bagger & Grand America are nothing more than a pastiche, with a speed restriction & built-in high speed weave (admittedly above the UK legal limit).

Why not get the real thing if you want for the cruiser lifestyle.

The view from the hills is very good. You can see Leicester from there.

You can, without looking so far, see my sister and brother-in-law’s farm, in fact you were standing in it :thumb2

The Bagger & Grand America are nothing more than a pastiche, with a speed restriction & built-in high speed weave (admittedly above the UK legal limit).

I forgot to mention, the mirrors are good, not that you would need them much. The position of the sat nav holder relative to your seating position and the distance from you makes it liable to the reflection off the screen, so much so you cannot see the map. The little antenna for the radio can be adjusted forward sticky out style or backwards folding in next to the mirror. It is a useless addition, it folds back at speed. Just leave it.

Ha, I was wondering why it had a soft cutout as I cheekily flashed an old Passat and then accelerated past him only to find out that most cars would be faster than this. It does lift its skirt nicely though :D

You can, without looking so far, see my sister and brother-in-law’s farm, in fact you were standing in it :thumb2

Oh, blimey. You said something about 6 degrees. The sheep are well fed :D

BTW, a bit on a tangent I know, but what was Caffeine & Machine like as a lunch venue - I've been meaning to give them a try?

We only popped in for a drink and a look around. Don't know what they are like for a bite to eat. As a petrolhead this is a spot to visit. More so over the weekends.

Only if you kept that UKGSer sticker on yer bike :D

Maybe, but there is another bike I'm after and for that I'll have to make space in the garage. Life is short and many irons in the fire etc ......

It may have come off! :D

Probably because he doesn’t want to look like a twat. ;)

Back
Top Bottom