Best day of my 'career' as an instructor.

Just read this; and it's made a great start to the day. Nice one.:beerjug:

This what an uplifting start to the week, well done Tim, the confidence you have released within Liam will stand him in good stead for other life challenges.

Ok Timothy .... You've had 48 hours of lime light which you deserve .... :D

My best day instructing;

I get notification of a days coaching, and in the blurb where the student can write something if they wish, I read that this female students partner has recently passed away after a short illness. Her partner was a biker, she had got into biking through him and had taken her test maybe 18 months previously, and that since he had passed away she had not been out and had lost her confidence. Oh, and she had a Harley. She didn't want to shelve her biking and really missed it.

I pitch up for the day at our prearranged meeting point (service station), and if I'm honest, ( we're all guilty of pre-conceptions), I was expecting a sort of 'Patsy' from Ab-Fab. I had in my mind a Harley wobbling into the carpark with a woman in her late 50's with bleach blonde hair and big panda eyes!

At the allotted hour an 883 rolled in, and off jumps a 30 something year old lady. She's bubbly, polite, (nervous) and is a consultant anaesthetist, with a leather bag thrown over her shoulder. My pre-conception couldn't have been more wrong!!

With all these days of coaching, we break the ice with a coffee, and of course the conversation rolls into "why are you here, How can we help, what's your biking background, what are you looking for today .." etc

This lady (lets call her Jane, but thats not her real name), gets about ten words out of her mouth before big fat tears stream down her face. She's very frank and open, talks about her partner that has passed away between big gulps and face wipes, that she was devastated, that they enjoyed their biking together so much, and that she desperately wants to carry on biking. She is clearly still very raw, and still mourning.

I listened, and .... I cried too! As she told her story it seemed the most natural thing in the world to do!! It didn't feel embarrassing, it was deeply moving and the two of us sat there for nearly an hour as she poured her heart out and we both cried!

Eventually it's time to get going, so she is given her radio and we walk to the bikes. Jane is nervous and very shaky in her voice, we have a pep talk about her mindset in the context of the last hour and if she's ok to carry on, and she's good to get on with the day.

And our day is as you'd expect, a day of coaching, starting at the beginning and looking at all the standard things you'd expect from positioning to limit points to bend assessment, scanning, acceleration sense .. and so on.

We regularly stopped, (lunch, tea breaks), and when we did, she talked, I just sat and listened, and we cried !!

Fast forward to the end of the day, we have covered about 120 miles of A and B roads; fast flowing, twisty technical, and this woman has put every ounce of energy she has into her day, wanting to learn.
From wobbling out of the car park with a shake in her voice, nervous, unsure, and clearly frightened of what demons she may or may not unleash is her grieving process and how biking is part of that grieving, she is now flowing down the road like a swan with great lines (bright girl - only had to tell her something once), and a huge smile on her face (in-between the down pours of tears at our tea breaks). It is a joy to watch her blossom.

At 5, we say good bye.

In any professional work there is of course a boundary of ..... well, professionalism! At what point the lines of professionalism and good old humanity merge, I don't know, but it seemed entirely natural and .... HUMAN! to give her a hug as we said goodbye.

She squeezed the life out of me! We stood in the car park hugging each other for a good 30 seconds, both cried again and said our good byes!!

I guess for her, I was a stranger that she hadn't met before, was not going to meet again and so it was easy to unload and pour her heart out.

For me, it was just the most extraordinary day of humanity, and watching someone that was broken, fix a part of themself (her biking self) in front of my very eyes. This day wasn't about sorting out her positioning or her limit points, (albeit thats what we were doing during the day), it was really about 'Do I hang up my biking boots and let this beat me, or do I get this monkey off my back, bury my fears and enjoy biking again'.

And watching that process unravel itself as the day progressed, was one of the most moving experiences ive ever had! :tears

:beerjug:

I'll read that when I have a spare day or two :D

Nice one Giles ...

Some times professionalism goes one page further than the book ... a day she'll never forget. Bless

Ok Timothy .... You've had 48 hours of lime light which you deserve .... :D

My best day instructing;

I get notification of a days coaching, and in the blurb where the student can write something if they wish, I read that this female students partner has recently passed away after a short illness. Her partner was a biker, she had got into biking through him and had taken her test maybe 18 months previously, and that since he had passed away she had not been out and had lost her confidence. Oh, and she had a Harley. She didn't want to shelve her biking and really missed it.

I pitch up for the day at our prearranged meeting point (service station), and if I'm honest, ( we're all guilty of pre-conceptions), I was expecting a sort of 'Patsy' from Ab-Fab. I had in my mind a Harley wobbling into the carpark with a woman in her late 50's with bleach blonde hair and big panda eyes!

At the allotted hour an 883 rolled in, and off jumps a 30 something year old lady. She's bubbly, polite, (nervous) and is a consultant anaesthetist, with a leather bag thrown over her shoulder. My pre-conception couldn't have been more wrong!!

With all these days of coaching, we break the ice with a coffee, and of course the conversation rolls into "why are you here, How can we help, what's your biking background, what are you looking for today .." etc

This lady (lets call her Jane, but thats not her real name), gets about ten words out of her mouth before big fat tears stream down her face. She's very frank and open, talks about her partner that has passed away between big gulps and face wipes, that she was devastated, that they enjoyed their biking together so much, and that she desperately wants to carry on biking. She is clearly still very raw, and still mourning.

I listened, and .... I cried too! As she told her story it seemed the most natural thing in the world to do!! It didn't feel embarrassing, it was deeply moving and the two of us sat there for nearly an hour as she poured her heart out and we both cried!

Eventually it's time to get going, so she is given her radio and we walk to the bikes. Jane is nervous and very shaky in her voice, we have a pep talk about her mindset in the context of the last hour and if she's ok to carry on, and she's good to get on with the day.

And our day is as you'd expect, a day of coaching, starting at the beginning and looking at all the standard things you'd expect from positioning to limit points to bend assessment, scanning, acceleration sense .. and so on.

We regularly stopped, (lunch, tea breaks), and when we did, she talked, I just sat and listened, and we cried !!

Fast forward to the end of the day, we have covered about 120 miles of A and B roads; fast flowing, twisty technical, and this woman has put every ounce of energy she has into her day, wanting to learn.
From wobbling out of the car park with a shake in her voice, nervous, unsure, and clearly frightened of what demons she may or may not unleash is her grieving process and how biking is part of that grieving, she is now flowing down the road like a swan with great lines (bright girl - only had to tell her something once), and a huge smile on her face (in-between the down pours of tears at our tea breaks). It is a joy to watch her blossom.

At 5, we say good bye.

In any professional work there is of course a boundary of ..... well, professionalism! At what point the lines of professionalism and good old humanity merge, I don't know, but it seemed entirely natural and .... HUMAN! to give her a hug as we said goodbye.

She squeezed the life out of me! We stood in the car park hugging each other for a good 30 seconds, both cried again and said our good byes!!

I guess for her, I was a stranger that she hadn't met before, was not going to meet again and so it was easy to unload and pour her heart out.

For me, it was just the most extraordinary day of humanity, and watching someone that was broken, fix a part of themself (her biking self) in front of my very eyes. This day wasn't about sorting out her positioning or her limit points, (albeit thats what we were doing during the day), it was really about 'Do I hang up my biking boots and let this beat me, or do I get this monkey off my back, bury my fears and enjoy biking again'.

And watching that process unravel itself as the day progressed, was one of the most moving experiences ive ever had! :tears

Well Tim sent me to work with a smile on my face this morning; and you've just sent me to bed the same. I love happy endings; well done the pair of you.:beerjug::beerjug:

Yes good one Giles :)

10 years ago I was just back at work after returning from Mongolia.
I was helping a guy who some years previous had become paralysed from the chest down following a scooter accident.
He had a Vespa converted with sidecar and I overcame my scooter prejudice for a while and got him through his test.

But that's only part of the story.
At the same time a colleague was teaching this 6ft tall beautiful blonde woman.
My first thought was wow she's everything but those eyes have a story to tell!

Her husband who was a biker had passed away 5 years previously and she was trying to get herself back on track.
She'd seen a photo of someone riding across Iceland which inspired her to learn to ride.
She and I later went on our bikes to Iceland....on Honeymoon :)

So if anyone asks wherever met, we'll both answer.....in a layby.

I have something in my eye reading the 2 tales. Well done you 2.

Superb outcome and great story. My mate is 6ft7" and his oldest son is now just touching 7ft at the age of 21. I'm 'only' 6ft4" standing beside the tall fella...they both drive though as most modern cars will allow a seat to go way back. I do accept that Range Rovers are not within everybody's budget.

A foot note to say Liam called into the school a couple of days ago leaving a bag of sweets.
I've come to believe anyone who overcomes difficulties to achieve their dream is a bit of a hero :)

Attachments

• 20190919_153856.jpg
    20190919_153856.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 500
I have just discovered this. What compelling reading, from both instructors and what a difference to my perception of motorcycle trainers has come from it. :thumby:

I have just discovered this. What compelling reading, from both instructors and what a difference to my perception of motorcycle trainers has come from it. :thumby:

Many instructors go that extra mile.

All Liam's lessons had to begin and end from his home some distance away as of course he wasn't allowed to ride it without being accompanied by a DAS instructor with radios.
My colleague spent a whole day taking him and the trike for an Mot.

The first date for his Mod 1 test didn't go well! He broke down on the way there and we waited with him for hours until the recovery truck picked him up....and of course I took him home when he passed his Mod 2.
That was a great moment as I knew from now on he can legally ride anywhere but importantly had finally gained his independence :)

I do so like hearing these stories. :)
So much to feel nice, warm and fuzzy about! :bounce1
I have a couple of tales myself from the bit of training i do - but not now. I'm just sitting here with a big smile from what i've read.
Just can't get any better than this. ;)
Good on ya! :Duchess

Great to read stories like this. There's plenty of sadness around, so this was a bright light of success. Fantastic work Tim and Liam. Here's to plenty of miles and loads of smiles. Top work !!

Great story and very well done the BOTH of you ! :)

Just joined the forum and just started teaching cbt at 63! Great stories and make me feel optimistic for 2020, thanks

Back
Top Bottom