Best day of my 'career' as an instructor.

Just joined the forum and just started teaching cbt at 63! Great stories and make me feel optimistic for 2020, thanks

Goog luck Captain Jack, the most important thing to remember is student safety so don't be tempted to cut corners during the car park session and if you have the slightest doubt about a student's ability do not take them out on the road. Better they come back and do a second day than risk them losing control and crashing - trust me all instructors have had this happen during their career and it is a sickening experience. A CBT is not an attendance course nor is it a one day course, it should take as long as it requires for them to reach an acceptable safe standard of control and safety. You are not there to be their friend but as an instructor with a duty of care so if you don't think a student is good enought to go on the road just be honest and tell them why. I've had that conversation as early as 10.30 in the morning when it was totally obvious that the student was never going to be road ready. Often, you will find the student is releived when you give them the news as they are no longer under pressure - people learn at different speeds and a lot depends on any previous experience and of course if it is something they really want to achieve then they will be happy to take as long as it takes.

Thanks Snooty, as much has been said to me by my trainers, (i am not ticketed yet), but am sure it cant be emphasised enough. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Sometimes, just sometimes things like this pop up on here and make being part of this forum worthwhile. Thank you both for sharing this.

Back
Top Bottom