Large Tent to go with my VW

Why twat about in your sardine can and twat about with your separate tent, just buy a motorhome..... or stay in a hotel.... or stay at home.

It's just a van, used daily …. unlike a 70 grand motorhome sat on the drive growing moss 50 weeks of the year!

Camper King down the road take a 2 or 3 year old Transporter, convert it & push it out for 50k. Even if it's a long wheel base, you only get 9'x5' of living space, storage space, and sleeping space (unless you have a pop top)

Nah, camping for me every time!

For myself it seems to defeat the whole object/advantage of the Campervan :nenau

If you stay in one place for several days then fine, I can see the advantage of a large drive away awning or separate tent, but then you might as well travel by a car and put a large tent up for those days!

A Campervan is not cheap, but it's whole advantage is to travel, move on, maybe two or three nights in one place max, then move on.

Just sayin' like ;)

:beerjug:

Each time I go away on my motorcycle, I think how much easier it is by car :D :beerjug:

I think my wife and I have got it worked out because we’ve got a big enough motor home (not a camper van) to afford a decent level of luxury but we take electric bikes and use them for scouting around the area rather than relying on a far more manoeuvrable camper like a T6 derived one. It’s horses for courses and everyone makes their own decision with none being the ‘right’ one but cluttering up a smaller camper with a big tent seems a bit self defeating to me :nenau

On my own the camper works fine... with Mrs Miles a tent with a lovely comfortable double bed means we are not stepping over each other in the morning and Mrs Miles can lay in while I make tea and breakfast.

On my own the camper works fine... with Mrs Miles a tent with a lovely comfortable double bed means we are not stepping over each other in the morning and Mrs Miles can lay in while I make tea and breakfast.

Good one Wreford :D:thumb2

Ha; ha; i'am glad you've just said that; i too had to do all the cooking and cleaning to get the Mrs to come camping:D :beerjug:

I think my wife and I have got it worked out because we’ve got a big enough motor home (not a camper van) to afford a decent level of luxury but we take electric bikes and use them for scouting around the area rather than relying on a far more manoeuvrable camper like a T6 derived one. It’s horses for courses and everyone makes their own decision with none being the ‘right’ one but cluttering up a smaller camper with a big tent seems a bit self defeating to me :nenau

I am in this camp too, though without the E-bikes as I have Bromptons. I intend to fit a tow bar, so that I can tow a motorbike as an alternative.

I looked at lots of alternatives, not least as I had never owned a motorhome or van conversion, quickly learning that each type (let alone each make and model) is some sort of compromise. I was surprised to learn that a fully kitted brand new 7.9 meter motorhome was just a smidge more than a fully kitted brand new VW van conversion. In short, much more space (including a fully functioning bathroom) for near enough the same money at the loss of some manoeuvrability, a compromise I was prepared to accept.

I was surprised to learn that a fully kitted brand new 7.9 meter motorhome was just a smidge more than a fully kitted brand new VW van conversion. In short, much more space (including a fully functioning bathroom) for near enough the same money at the loss of some manoeuvrability, a compromise I was prepared to accept.

That's the bit I can't get my head around either

Neighbours have just get a new Autosleeper Merc chassis which is over 7m which is an Auto and has everything on board and it was a similar price to a new California Ocean with DSG and 4 motion - all you get is a 3/4 bed, a tent roof and a cheap 2 burner hob & sink and a small fridge

There is a huge premium for a VW and is bit like a GS with a 'scene tax'

That's the bit I can't get my head around either

Neighbours have just get a new Autosleeper Merc chassis which is over 7m which is an Auto and has everything on board and it was a similar price to a new California Ocean with DSG and 4 motion - all you get is a 3/4 bed, a tent roof and a cheap 2 burner hob & sink and a small fridge

There is a huge premium for a VW and is bit like a GS with a 'scene tax'

Mobility was the key element in our choice and then that choice was influenced by things like warranty if you have a conversion you would be dealing with 2 separate companies for any warranty work VW for the van and then whoever did the conversion for the camper bit
Insurance is also a factor in that

AS for cheap hob etc you need to have a look at the quality of the VW stuff and the thought of design in it which IMO is not replicated in a conversion. a 42 litre fridge is not that small is it ?

Residuals should you sell or swap are also much much stronger on a california than a conversion or MoHo

If you want to arrive on a luxurious caravan site with as many facilities as you can shake a stick, pitch up hook up to the electric and stay put for a week get a big feck off motorhome or caravan. If you want to move on daily park up in wild locations and have the ability to park easily anywhere a camper van is the way

I see your glass remains 3/4 empty and the joy of life is deserting you with each and every passing day

Have we made the right choice ? Time will tell but plenty of thought went into the choice

With the significant rise in tax on new registered ‘luxury’ vehicles, the residuals on existing motorhomes should hold up fairly well.

As to the rest, each to their own. I am sure I could be very happy (as Micky is) in a van or indeed a tent or hotel. It all depends on the circumstances on any given day, I guess.

Mobility was the key element in our choice and then that choice was influenced by things like warranty if you have a conversion you would be dealing with 2 separate companies for any warranty work VW for the van and then whoever did the conversion for the camper bit
Insurance is also a factor in that

AS for cheap hob etc you need to have a look at the quality of the VW stuff and the thought of design in it which IMO is not replicated in a conversion. a 42 litre fridge is not that small is it ?

Residuals should you sell or swap are also much much stronger on a california than a conversion or MoHo

If you want to arrive on a luxurious caravan site with as many facilities as you can shake a stick, pitch up hook up to the electric and stay put for a week get a big feck off motorhome or caravan. If you want to move on daily park up in wild locations and have the ability to park easily anywhere a camper van is the way

I see your glass remains 3/4 empty and the joy of life is deserting you with each and every passing day

Have we made the right choice ? Time will tell but plenty of thought went into the choice

I was agreeing with Wapping, that was all................no need to be so defensive

Looking on Vdub pages and forums, a common theme is that a lot sell the Cali style Van after a short while, quickly realising the lack of space for (2) 50 something adults is a chore and a T6 (either Cali or Conversion) is too small - fine for a couple of 20 somethings, going surfing and who don't mind 'roughing' at their age

It's a brochure sell, a bit like the GS concept.............dashing across deserts, in search of the horizon

Wreford, i'm in a similar position to yourself, both on age and what I feel I need from a van. After a lot of research, questions and prevaricating, I bought a demountable to go on a Hilux. It was fairly compact, gave a huge comfy bed a dinette and a shower/toilet. The downside was it was a little unwieldy in the weight department, Sandy didn't like the feeling of being enclosed in the bed, due to the lack of space in the overcab and we both couldn't sit up in bed and have a cuppa or watch something on the laptop. The main thing I ended up not getting on with, was the feeling of being detached from camping. Once in your wobbly box, you're sealed off from the world and also the piss poor mpg when in MH mode.
I rethought my priorities and now have a LWB Vivaro which i've had a simple conversion. This has given me a kingsize R&R bed, 100l water capacity, off grid camping power capability of over a week, hot water, heating, shower, portaloo and a decent sized fridge. I will also be fitting a cooker at some point too.
All the workings are fitted under a false floor, under and behind the rear seat, leaving loads of storage space for using the van, as a van, to carry gear. I have an Ostrich awning with side walls, which gives me instant shelter in seconds and a room in minutes. I think this outside space really works for me and is better, for me, than a drive away awning.
As my fridge and cooker are at the rear of the van, the 270 degree awning works as it covers the side and rear of my van. However, if I wanted to utilise a tent, I would want to fit it on the rear of the van, as that's where I need to access my cooking and fridge facilities. So, if I was going to buy one, i'd by a De Waard. They are some of the best tents on the planet and, if you see the Dutch camping anywhere, you'll most likely see them in a De Waard. I reckon, if you were to buy the right size and opt for the extra porch, you'd be able to reverse the van up to the tent, as well as use it on the side. Being canvas, they should also run a bit darker inside, as I find my canvas awning room is, but spec a dark colour canvas tent to ensure this. If you're interested, you can get good second hand ones on Marktplaats and look out for the dark blue special edition one's..
Without the tent, my van gives me a comfy nights sleep, an easy to set up private shower space, cold beers, a social space, cooking space and the feeling i'm camping still, all in an easy to drive, relatively compact, vehicle that does 42mpg on a run. For me, all those things outweigh the relative benefits of driving a MH.

I am in this camp too, though without the E-bikes as I have Bromptons. I intend to fit a tow bar, so that I can tow a motorbike as an alternative.

I looked at lots of alternatives, not least as I had never owned a motorhome or van conversion, quickly learning that each type (let alone each make and model) is some sort of compromise. I was surprised to learn that a fully kitted brand new 7.9 meter motorhome was just a smidge more than a fully kitted brand new VW van conversion. In short, much more space (including a fully functioning bathroom) for near enough the same money at the loss of some manoeuvrability, a compromise I was prepared to accept.
I did a van conversion 16 years ago, the idea was compact go anywhere van and stay off grid for a few days free camping,
A towbar for my jet ski or bike trailer, mostly bring the vespa these days when abroad,
For the last 10 years i have been running a hymer b class 6.5 mtr, fully loaded 2 large double beds and big fridge freezer, Double floor and loads of storage under the fixed bed ,
E bikes now instead of my bromptons for range,
Camping at reservoir sites canal moorings and out of the way places plus the aires and stellaplatz,
We initially went for a smallish van for access to go or stay anywhere,
then you turn up to an out of the way place on narrow mountain roads to find an enormous motorhome that made it as well.
Dont be hung up by vehicle size, a medium size motorhome will go to just about anywhere a delivery van goes,
using any larger than a car expensive vehicle as a daily driver is another debate,
i do routes and campsites uk and abroad that i have on my motorbike,
if you are happy taking a tent or not in your vw camper thats what suits your needs ,
Vw vans have a cult following and the california is a quality van as are some of the conversions in the compact camper category,
The value of camping for me is the freedom and options to make it what you want as a break or holiday,
Good luck finding a suitable tent Wreford,

then you turn up to an out of the way place on narrow mountain roads to find an enormous motorhome that made it as well.
Dont be hung up by vehicle size, a medium size motorhome will go to just about anywhere a delivery van goes,

It is worth pointing out that height barriers are becoming annoyingly common at many places ideal for stopping the night.
The standard low roof T6 is 1995mm, meaning it gets under a 2m barrier. Even with the roof bars I can get mine under a 2.1m.

I was on the Islay ferry yesterday watching a huge motorhome scraping the underneath on the ramp as the back overhung the rear wheels by at least 4ft.
Certaintly didn't see any up the narrow tracks that lead to the stunning beaches - Just hogging every viewpoint along the fore shore, gawping out from their "captain seats" before pulling the blinds down at 7.30pm, and shutting the world out in favour of Corrie.

I had a big bust up last summer on Holy Island (Anglesey) when I turned up at the south stack car park at 8am, only to find 2 massive overnighting motor homes parked long ways, using up the entire car park.
Cheeky bastard then started gobbing off when I parked between the two of them, basically blocking him in - Only hiss missus spared him an early nap that morning! :mad:
I don't dislike motorhomes, I actually fancied one once. But they have become too big, too brash & too home from home.
The islanders I spoke to had little time for them, and the good folk of Skye & Harris find them a menace.

Just the unbiased thoughts of someone who got stuck behind one for about 80 miles up the A83 last night you understand! ;)

Fair point,
having similar experiences with the big 8 mtr plus rigs,
When free camping usually get away early as only tend to use as a stopover,
and use a bit of savvy if its a car park when pitching up, and have a stroll to take in the view,
Height barriers are appearing more though mainly 2 mtrs or less,
My van at 6.5 mtr is short wheel base compares to my T6 swb panel van so pretty agile,

The one struggling to get on the Islay ferry yesterday looked like it was based on a stretched horse lorry, with the sides overhanging the wheels by a foot either side.
Where it could have parked in Bowmore to get to the shop, I have no idea?
Passing a layby on Loch Lomond at 7pm last night, and it was full of them all laid up for the night …. 7pm?
The current trend seems to be bigger & more of 'em!
I made a comment in the camping section a while back that Glenbrittle campsite on Skye was mostly tents 5 years ago, but this May was 90% camper vans & motor homes.
It's that numbers thing in a popular place again. Remember born again's on sports bikes in the late 90s? I can't see this current craze ending well either!

It won’t end well because councils will get pissed off and put height/length limits for non commercial vehicles on smaller roads and that’ll be game over.

We rarely use our motorhome in the UK because there’s a distinct lack of facilities for them and more importantly, we’re only 2-3 hours away from ferries out of the country.

Last month in Germany, Rhein at Sankt Goar

View to the left

i-Lx4pn64-L.jpg

View to the right

i-S5ZFVLX-L.jpg

O
Def recommend Karsten "Rolls Royce" of tents, amazing bits of kit, yes they are expensive but new they come with a 5 year warranty, I've got a 2800 tunnel tent, wanted an inflatable but wife said she felt a bit chlostraphobic in it, Karsten often advertise on Markplaats for second hand tents, we dealt direct with them as uk supplier couldnt get a tunnel tent and they were brilliant,

https://www.marktplaats.nl/u/karsten-tenten-bv/235130/

https://www.marktplaats.nl/q/karsten+tenten/

UK supplier
http://www.campingtravelstore.co.uk/karsten-inflatable-tents

There's a 300 dome tent on ebay at the moment with comfort awning and front wall.

I bid on the ebay tent but missed out - That 300 dome looked just the job

Back
Top Bottom