Large Tent to go with my VW

Wreford Miles

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just had a pleasant two days in Stiffkey... decided to take an old large tent because I thought why sleep in a small rock and roll bed when a friend had lent us a mega double air bed, it must have been c400mm deep.

The tent had two separate sleeping areas which opened into one so we had a lovely bedroom set up complete with a small oil radiator to keep the chill off.

The set up worked really well and has the wife’s thumbs up - But

My old tent is knackered, it fairing in a short rain storm that came in was poor. It did not make it home with us, it was packed in the garbage, so a new tent or drive away is required.

Something that blocks a little more light would be good. Any recommendations

We had a Khyam drive away, easy to put up, but fairly heavy. We never slept in although the kids did.

The decathlon tents are really well thought of and if you buy and you try it and don’t like it just take it back for a refund.

Worth a look as they are very well priced as well.

Having a separate sleeping area we think is important for us, having a nice bed that can be kept cosy with a small heater changes the whole experience.

Someone was selling a Robens tent on the site recently. Midnight dreamer? Good quality tents.

Have a look at a Glawning; not cheap but basically a Tipi that attaches to the van, the whole package comes with a woodburner and carpets. Probably display upside down but here's a pic of a friends set up.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 402
I believe there's a system to create a separate space/ bedroom; I'll ask my mate :thumb

ps - There's a whole VW camping subculture around them, she's even got a chandelier in hers :blast

Cracking tent this

8a24bf3b3587642027c6ecfd3432e597.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to the Glawning owner it can be set up with a separate bedroom but they choose to sleep in the van.

Def recommend Karsten "Rolls Royce" of tents, amazing bits of kit, yes they are expensive but new they come with a 5 year warranty, I've got a 2800 tunnel tent, wanted an inflatable but wife said she felt a bit chlostraphobic in it, Karsten often advertise on Markplaats for second hand tents, we dealt direct with them as uk supplier couldnt get a tunnel tent and they were brilliant,

https://www.marktplaats.nl/u/karsten-tenten-bv/235130/

https://www.marktplaats.nl/q/karsten+tenten/

UK supplier
http://www.campingtravelstore.co.uk/karsten-inflatable-tents

There's a 300 dome tent on ebay at the moment with comfort awning and front wall.

Redrick, i've got a brand new unused (still in packing) Vango Breckenridge tent that you could have for a reasonable price if you're interested.

Redrick, i've got a brand new unused (still in packing) Vango Breckenridge tent that you could have for a reasonable price if you're interested.

Cheers for the offer but i am intending to try and avoid a tent on the side

Just the 2 of us and the dog and limited number of nights a time and never more than one night in the same place is the plan

I was on Skye & Harris in May, and the campsites that used to be 90% tents are now 90% camper vans or motor homes.
The whole holiday seems to gravitate around the van that cost a kings ransom to convert. Twat next to me needed an hour to put it all away each morning, before spiking a number plate on his patch to stake his claim on return.

I just don't get it?

Don't get me wrong, I have a t6 myself … but find it much better to throw the Hilleberg up next to the van rather than twat about in a sardine tin.

A tent next to the Van works well. Bigger bed, place to keep chairs and table and the van is ready to go in a few moments.

Having a heater in the tent also makes it appealing to Mrs Miles

Attachments

• E157F0F4-84BE-4F73-8F16-C2E08574EB4A.jpg
    E157F0F4-84BE-4F73-8F16-C2E08574EB4A.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 141
For myself it seems to defeat the whole object/advantage of the Campervan :nenau

If you stay in one place for several days then fine, I can see the advantage of a large drive away awning or separate tent, but then you might as well travel by a car and put a large tent up for those days!

A Campervan is not cheap, but it's whole advantage is to travel, move on, maybe two or three nights in one place max, then move on.

Just sayin' like ;)

:beerjug:

For myself it seems to defeat the whole object/advantage of the Campervan :nenau

If you stay in one place for several days then fine, I can see the advantage of a large drive away awning or separate tent, but then you might as well travel by a car and put a large tent up for those days!

A Campervan is not cheap, but it's whole advantage is to travel, move on, maybe two or three nights in one place max, then move on.

Just sayin' like ;)

:beerjug:

I thought the same

Surely you buy a VW Campervan to sleep in?
If you need more space buy a bigger Campervan or a MoHo surely ?

What's the point of having a nice insulated and prepped Campervan with a heater etc and then sleeping in a tent ?

Or tow a Caravan behind the VW Campervan?

Don't get me wrong, I have a t6 myself … but find it much better to throw the Hilleberg up next to the van rather than twat about in a sardine tin.

Why twat about in your sardine can and twat about with your separate tent, just buy a motorhome..... or stay in a hotel.... or stay at home.

Back
Top Bottom