Helmets...current deals and choice

Morety

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thought I'd share some feedback on a current mission to replace my 5 or 6 yr old Shark Helmet. It's a minefiled when looking at helmet choice and fit is obviously the primary driver along with quality, style and features wanted. After looking on-line at real world feedback from riders and on what offers were about, I shortlisted a couple of Shuberths and shoei(GT Air 3 Pro and 4 Pro), a Shark Spartan Carbon, a full face Shoei (entry level version), HJC RPHA 90 flip up and several others...quite a wide variety of budgets and styles.

What quickly became apparent when jumping on the bike to visit different stores after on-line research was that 1) you tend to get what you pay for up to a certain price point (say around £250 or so) but after that, it's just not that clear cut!

One issue I had with my old Speed R Helmet was wind noise, lack of chin curtain for colder days, and poor visor sealing which let water in when it chucked it down. I found online feedback that the same issues were prevalent amongst many of the flip up helmets regarding noise and water tightness (especially cheaper ones) so narrowed my choice to just the Shoeis which had a good rep. The newer 4 Pro seems worse in performance in these areas than the older 3Pro so if you can get your mits on a "3" for reasonable money, that's a wise buy. I couldn't so didn't end up with one, setting a budget of strictly no more than £300 which is more than enough to get a decent lid these days...just not a "3". Still, the flip up was a nice to have not an essential.

Fit to my mind is very important, and I couldn't get on with the HJC as it felt more rounded and tight on the forehead plus I was far from impressed with the generally plasticky feel of the helmet and fittings. I didn't share Ride magazines enthusiasm for this helmet tbh. It felt cheap especially compared with the Shark helmets. I have a head shape that favours newer Arais, Shoeis and the Schuberths I tried. They all fitted well. Again, I wasn't blown away by an RX7 I looked at as it had less features than the Shark top line helmets and frankly, the pricier Sharks still looked and felt better made! It (RX7) didn't seem to perform any better in SHARP safety tests either.

I finally descended on a Shark Spartan Carbon Skin helmet . Upon picking it up, it was amazingly light for a large size, but not as light as it's more expensive pure carbon sibling. The Spartan uses a fibreglass inner matrix with a carbon fibre outer skin, which combined reduce mass and improve strength. In fact it scored joint second on the SHARPS helmet tests for helmets in its class (allegedly). The finish was better than my older Arai quantum helmets by a mile and so was the quality and feel of the interior and the visor. In fact, I preferred it to the Arais I looked at. Dead impressive. If this is sounding a bit like an advert for Shark, then it partly is as this particular helmet deserves it. It's feature packed (unlike some of the more expensive brands), top-tier fit and finish and feels and looks classy. On line feedback praised it for fit and on general quietness (improved over the Speed R through computational testing). The reason I'm writing this drivel is to highlight the best thing about this helmet....its cost. It has an RRP of £390 but as several in the model line up (only difference is graphics) are being discontinued you can buy on a deal for as little as £220 if you shop around.

I visited Helmet City to try one (Cheltenham) and the staff there were brilliant...couldn't have been more patient or helpful with me trying on everything in sight. They had it on offer for a little over £240 which is still a bargain...not just because it's £150 off RRP but also because they throw in a spare visor worth £70, a pinlock insert and this specific model comes with a full 5 year unconditional warranty against any defects or problems with it. It is also glasses friendly, has an internal sun visor, a chin curtain, decent vents and is extremely comfortable to wear. It also has cut outs for comms already provided within the helmet like some others.

If you're in the market for a new lid, try one of these Spartans if you can, as I reckon they'll not hang around long at these sort of prices. I unreservedly recommend Helmet City too for their service and choice in store. I wasn't especially wedded to Shark even though my old one was a decent lid, but the fact I ended up with another speaks volumes to me for their quality and VFM, even at full RRP. At £150 off, they're a stone cold bargain. If on line ordering and worried about fit, they are close to what they say (large is a 59/60) and are a medium oval shape which is likely to suit many. With only 2 shell sizes, some in between sizes may look a little large on smaller heads! On the bike it's quiet, comfortable, well vented and the visor seals brilliantly with no effort thanks to a patented self seal mechanism. Couldn't be happier.

Thank you for an interesting review.

A helmet worth considering is the agv carbon flip up. I got a good deal on a fluro system 7 with comms, fit felt good and it is quietish too.

Weirdly both my arai are quieter on a naked than a faired bike.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I didn't get to try the AGV carbon flip up as it was out of my price range but it looks a great lid. The spartan at almost half the cost seemed too good to discount and weighs about the same. I get the same when riding on naked bikes as a lot of helmet noise is related to buffeting and design usually is wind tunnel tested (or computational fluid dynamics modelled)with no fairing disrupting air flow.

I didn't get to try the AGV carbon flip up as it was out of my price range but it looks a great lid. The spartan at almost half the cost seemed too good to discount and weighs about the same. I get the same when riding on naked bikes as a lot of helmet noise is related to buffeting and design usually is wind tunnel tested (or computational fluid dynamics modelled)with no fairing disrupting air flow.
I got one down to £375, until they said nobody knew when the comms would be available.

For the S7, some say no problems getting the src, other that it's on back order.

I got mine for less than half price with comms already fitted, too good a deal to pass up. I haven't tried removing the chin piece, I'm told it is a right Pita.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Like oil and tyres

Helmets are a very personal thing and IMO should never be bought on price

The Arai RX7 GPV that i bought last year is, and again IMO streets ahead of everything else that i tried regardless of price. Fit is everything

I still wish that Bell would bring their total custom build to the UK. In the USA they can scan your head and then make it just perfect

Bell make excellent helmets but they've never fitted me well. Price is a consideration as the reality for many of us is that we have a budge and when you realise that many cheaper lids perform equally as well as some of the RX7 models for half the cost, it becomes a very valid argument as long as fit is right. I agree that fit is up there with protection rating as the nr 1 concerns though. You can get both at sensible prices and I just don't see all the fuss with modern Arias (I used to have nothing but Aria Quantum helmets for years before prices started getting silly) when other up and coming makes equal them for me in fit, finish, protection and quietness...I wouldn't drop another £400 on a top RX7 over the one I bought, put it that way. Both fit me well, but at £240 and a similar protection rating but with more features there's no good reason for me not choosing the Spartan which was admittedly a very personal judgement. They are like tyres in that everyone will have an opinion, but things like finish, features and safety are measurable. They count for nothing if a helmet doesn't fit well though. Being "streaks ahead" in fit is very valid. I question whether they are "streaks ahead" in design/finish though. I couldn't see any evidence of that with the ones I looked at. Quality doesn't have to cost the earth where helmets are concerned.

I’ve had 3 new shark helmets. An evoline which sufferd from a well documented problem with the bit that lifts. I had a full face 900 was in the name but it was not by any means a well made lid. I had a carbon something marketed as giving a wider view. Again nowhere near a quality item. They seem to be overpriced for what they are. JJH

Bell make excellent helmets but they've never fitted me well. Price is a consideration as the reality for many of us is that we have a budge and when you realise that many cheaper lids perform equally as well as some of the RX7 models for half the cost, it becomes a very valid argument as long as fit is right. I agree that fit is up there with protection rating as the nr 1 concerns though. You can get both at sensible prices and I just don't see all the fuss with modern Arias (I used to have nothing but Aria Quantum helmets for years before prices started getting silly) when other up and coming makes equal them for me in fit, finish, protection and quietness...I wouldn't drop another £400 on a top RX7 over the one I bought, put it that way. Both fit me well, but at £240 and a similar protection rating but with more features there's no good reason for me not choosing the Spartan which was admittedly a very personal judgement. They are like tyres in that everyone will have an opinion, but things like finish, features and safety are measurable. They count for nothing if a helmet doesn't fit well though. Being "streaks ahead" in fit is very valid. I question whether they are "streaks ahead" in design/finish though. I couldn't see any evidence of that with the ones I looked at. Quality doesn't have to cost the earth where helmets are concerned.

There is a very good video on you tube somewhere in which the owners of Arai explain their design principles and what the company is about

Worth a watch

When i said streets ahead I meant for me in its fit and comfort not necessarily for others

Yes, I saw that a while back if it's the same one they have had up for a few years now? I saw a similar video made by Bell and was very impressed how they developed and made theirs too. Yep..fit and comfort are very important. Quantum F helmets used to fit me very well, and I wonder if Aria altered their shell shape slightly as the newer ones, whilst they still fit ok, just don't seem to be as comfortable, hence one of my reasons to switch to Shark, which fit like a glove.

The black and white shark Spartan carbon is £183 in Medium on Amazon. Seems a bargain. Doesn't come with the smoked visor though sadly.
I've found ever since I change from my RT to my cbr600f the performance of my system 7 has dropped quite a bit. Seems a very noisy helmet now.

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

That's a steal if it is the Carbon version! You don't really need a smoked visor as it comes standard with a drop down sun visor but if you still felt the need you can buy a smoked one for about £70 making the total still very cheap for what it is. I'd beware though....some Amazon purchases seem too good to be true, and I learned years ago if that seems the case, it probably is. Lots of fake helmets doing the rounds which is why I'd never buy on line except from a reputable UK helmet retailer like Helmet City or Sporstbike Shop Direct.

That's a steal if it is the Carbon version! You don't really need a smoked visor as it comes standard with a drop down sun visor but if you still felt the need you can buy a smoked one for about £70 making the total still very cheap for what it is. I'd beware though....some Amazon purchases seem too good to be true, and I learned years ago if that seems the case, it probably is. Lots of fake helmets doing the rounds which is why I'd never buy on line except from a reputable UK helmet retailer like Helmet City or Sporstbike Shop Direct.
It's Amazon Prime out of their Dunfermline Wearhouse so no worries there I believe. Same day delivery. It's not from a marketplace. Most of the other sizes and colours are all over £230. Sometimes you just get random price drops like that. If I don't like it there's always free returns anyway. Tempted to pull the trigger!

If you are comfortable with Shoei, agv or schuberth helmet shapes, the Shark is pretty similar being a medium oval design. Buy with confidence, that's really quite unbeatable for the outlay for a top spec lid. The reason for the price drop on a few of the Spartan Carbon models was simple...those graphics designs obviously weren't big sellers do are being discontinued (I spoke with a retailer who confirmed this). However, the cheapest I saw one was £220 so your find is particularly attractive....just make sure you get the spare main visor and pinlock insert visor too!

I'm assuming you bought the Shark Spartan Carbon Kitari graphic? Yes they've been discontinued. We've just bought 3 sizes in the DOA colour (link below)We can do one for £220 including delivery if anyone on here wants one. We've only got Small, Medium & X-Large left though, drop me a message if anyone wants one.

https://www.motocentral.co.uk/shark-spartan-carbon-kitari-doa.html

Yes, that's the one. £220 is a great price :thumb

Amazon medium is now down to £174. Being a bit cheeky and seeing if Helmet City will price match.

Back
Top Bottom