R1200GSA to a Multistrada 1260 Enduro

rossi46

Reaction score
The time has come to consider changing my bike. I currently ride a 2015 BMW R1200GS Adventure, my last 3 bikes have been GSA’s, but this time I’m having a look around at other marques.
So far I have ruled out the Africa Twin, the Triumph Explorer, the KTM Super Adventure and the Yamaha Super Tenere, which leaves me stuck between another GSA and a Multistrada 1260 Enduro.
Because of the spec I would want the Ducati comes out a couple of grand more than the BMW, the BMW comes with pretty much everything whereas with the Multistrada I would want, travel pack (currently offered free), the enduro pack to give me crash bars and spotlights, and a top box (£1000 for a top box !!!).
The thing that worries me with the Ducati is the value 3 years down the road, do these things really depreciate that bad ?
Has anyone else here gone from a GS Adventure LC ? Was the change a step forward, or a step back ? Would your next bike be another Multistrada or would you go back to a GS ?
What are the “essential” things I would need for the Ducati ? I’ve already thought of pannier and top box inner bags and a sat nav mount, is there anything else that everyone seems to add ?
Can the top box be purchased direct from Touratech ? I suppose Touratech wouldn’t supply what ever bracket I would need to fit it ?
Cheers

I had similar thoughts to went and booked a test ride on a new 1260 Multistrada. I also got feedback from ducati mechanics, and spoke to other owners. I'll be honest...the test ride didn't inspire me at all. The 1250 has bags more low down stomp and I think that the fuelling and power delivery are better too. The Ducati was obviously more powerful but having to give it more revs low down was a pain around town and it also felt a little vague at slow speeds. It seemed to come alive after 5.5K revs and then had another step at about 7 to 8K revs where it really took off. Not as linear as the 1250 and lacked the slow speed manners. The mechs warned about the 10K servicing costs and many owners seemed to sell theirs on with relatively low miles. I was also put off by some of the reported reliability issues and the overall costs of ownership and devaluation costs. I'll be hanging on to my 2016 GSA for a few years and will wait until the Beta testing is all done on the 1250 and will jump straight onto to one of those. I still rate it as the best all round bike money can buy and so far for me, the 1200 ownership costs have been remarkably low and used parts and accessories are very plentiful. Looked at a KTM but it wasn't for me. Had a Tiger Explorer (2014 model) and it felt like man-handling a small planet about at slow speed. New ones aren't that much better either despite the claims that they're now easier to handle...they're just not. Try paddling one about fully loaded....even hauling one of the side stand is enough to give the average bloke a hernea. I won't be going there again although I did enjoy mine...it handled A roads I think even better than the GSA, absolutely on rails and felt a lot quicker to me but I just couldn't see past the weight and how high up it was.

I went from a 2015 GSA to a new Multistrada 1260 enduro earlier this year and I wouldn't go back.....lovin' the Ducati! I do agree the slow speed fueling on the standard Ducati is not great, however with the full Termi race system with factory map, the bike is a totally different beast with loads of low down grunt and imho much better than the 1250GSA which I also tried before buying the Ducati. I find the Ducati is a much more "involved" ride if that makes sense and for me the GSA was bland in comparison. Reliability if anything will be better than BMW in my experience, I did a deal on extended warranty anyway so not too concerned.
There is no expensive 10k service, the big Desmo service is at 20k miles/30k km and yes you need to budget for it, but I may end up swapping the bike before then.
As far as luggage goes, I went for the Givi trekker outback 37L pannier system, it uses equal sized panniers which look so much better (being symmetrical) than the stock Ducati system, is considerably less wide and was about half the price! I also have an adaptor plate from SW Motech which allows me to fit my Givi trekker outback topbox onto the Ducati rear rack, also a big saving on the Ducati offering!
I have no regrets and am enjoying not riding the same bike as everyone else!......I would say go ride one and see how it feels:thumb
If you want photos of the luggage set up, just let me know.

I went from a 2015 GSA to a new Multistrada 1260 enduro earlier this year and I wouldn't go back.....lovin' the Ducati! I do agree the slow speed fueling on the standard Ducati is not great, however with the full Termi race system with factory map, the bike is a totally different beast with loads of low down grunt and imho much better than the 1250GSA which I also tried before buying the Ducati. I find the Ducati is a much more "involved" ride if that makes sense and for me the GSA was bland in comparison. Reliability if anything will be better than BMW in my experience, I did a deal on extended warranty anyway so not too concerned.
There is no expensive 10k service, the big Desmo service is at 20k miles/30k km and yes you need to budget for it, but I may end up swapping the bike before then.
As far as luggage goes, I went for the Givi trekker outback 37L pannier system, it uses equal sized panniers which look so much better (being symmetrical) than the stock Ducati system, is considerably less wide and was about half the price! I also have an adaptor plate from SW Motech which allows me to fit my Givi trekker outback topbox onto the Ducati rear rack, also a big saving on the Ducati offering!
I have no regrets and am enjoying not riding the same bike as everyone else!......I would say go ride one and see how it feels:thumb
Would love to see some nice pics showing your complete luggage set up on the Multi

Sent from a U11

I did same as Belgian Beemer and so far am finding the bike huge fun and tbh it behaves really well. I haven't seen any low speed issues or "round town" issues. The bike does almost everything well and has what we used to call "character" (which may imply bad as well as good behaviours). I've been doing a lot of day trips out on it and so far haven't seen another one anywhere across the south of England...not so far anyway.

Hi Alex, glad you are enjoying the bike as much as I am!
Here’s the photos of the luggage...

I looked at all possibilities and decided to go with Givi and SW motech.

Quick release pannier rails with twin toolboxes for lock and chain, tyre pluggers and tools.
10cfde49a2aaa2229e7b2aa46c9070b7.jpg
cfdb4a8cdfdbeefb577e1689d4c7cea8.jpg
7b7d96ed72a8420cd35bd6930015a35b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Givi 37L equal size panniers. Total width 98cm, slightly less than handlebars.....I know they look wider than the bars in the photo - optical illusion!
70c88baef87ec842f5b1066476ee6b99.jpg
5b810c12b7dee32d456dab156a226655.jpg
b548395fe63da0c36624f6e744bc2638.jpg

SW motech mini tank bag and after market Nav/phone mount....
22f3c5bb9a8e0cf327f9a718e8b9d647.jpg

When just me out for the day I take everything off, 5 minute job!

I have owned several BMW GS’s and two Multistraders.

It’s important to change your riding style when moving to, or test riding the Multi, and ride it on its revs, not it’s torque. The L twin comes alive and is a great engine when it’s in the sweet spot. If you want to poodle along it has massive grunt but is less smooth than a Boxer twin.

Each bike has a very different character imop so comparing them and liking one more than the other is fine but probably indicates a preferred riding style. One other thing the MTS has better low speed balance and a c of g lower than the Boxer.

Having had quite a few 1200GSs and also test ridden the 1200 Muti in the past I’d say the new 1260 is much improved torque wise although probably still not on par with the new 1250 boxer.

When comparing an Enduro with a GSA they are pretty much even with a comfortable riding position and all the clever electronics and fuel capacity etc.

But for me the 1260 has the more exciting engine and I’m pleased I made the change. :thumb2

Attachments

• F8D7F257-D691-4A0E-A352-0A4DB7491DC2.jpg
    F8D7F257-D691-4A0E-A352-0A4DB7491DC2.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 1,138
Having had quite a few 1200GSs and also test ridden the 1200 Muti in the past I’d say the new 1260 is much improved torque wise although probably still not on par with the new 1250 boxer.

When comparing an Enduro with a GSA they are pretty much even with a comfortable riding position and all the clever electronics and fuel capacity etc.

But for me the 1260 has the more exciting engine and I’m pleased I made the change. :thumb2

Love the colour. Huge fucking top box though !!

Other colours are available, as long as you want red.

Fantastic bike, though, as BB says.

Attachments

• IMG_6118.jpg
    IMG_6118.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 657
I went from a GS LC to a Tiger 800 XRT and its been great but I'd had 4 GS's from the 2004 version and I was getting older and weaker and shrinking as the GS got heavier and higher. The Tiger is a great bike and is well balanced and easy to maneuver at low speed and it tours well with a very linear engine packing enough punch for me. Have been to the Balkans and Northern Sweden on 2 different trips and it performed impeccably each time whereas the Multistrada 1260 of my companion to Sweden broke down on day 2 just outside Hamburg and we needed to find a dealer with a plug in before we could move on. I agree the Explorer is too heavy and the engine is not as user friendly as the GS

The time has come to consider changing my bike. I currently ride a 2015 BMW R1200GS Adventure, my last 3 bikes have been GSA’s, but this time I’m having a look around at other marques.
So far I have ruled out the Africa Twin, the Triumph Explorer, the KTM Super Adventure and the Yamaha Super Tenere, which leaves me stuck between another GSA and a Multistrada 1260 Enduro.
Because of the spec I would want the Ducati comes out a couple of grand more than the BMW, the BMW comes with pretty much everything whereas with the Multistrada I would want, travel pack (currently offered free), the enduro pack to give me crash bars and spotlights, and a top box (£1000 for a top box !!!).
The thing that worries me with the Ducati is the value 3 years down the road, do these things really depreciate that bad ?
Has anyone else here gone from a GS Adventure LC ? Was the change a step forward, or a step back ? Would your next bike be another Multistrada or would you go back to a GS ?
What are the “essential” things I would need for the Ducati ? I’ve already thought of pannier and top box inner bags and a sat nav mount, is there anything else that everyone seems to add ?
Can the top box be purchased direct from Touratech ? I suppose Touratech wouldn’t supply what ever bracket I would need to fit it ?
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom