Givi SR5129 Top Box Carrier - Help!

mikebike

Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone out there fitted one of these? I am having real trouble folowing the next-to-useless instructions!

Cheers!:nenau

Yes I have fitted one BUT you have to buy the correct version for your bike.

The one you bought fits the 750GS with BLACK rails, there is a different model (which i bought first) if you have silver rails

what exactly is your problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the lack of clarity guys, but I was getting really frustrated!

I have the black rails.

I have already fitted the PLR5127 pannier rails. The SR5129 is supposed to fit (i think) on one of the same mounting points as the pannier rails, but there is no way I can see them both going on the same mounting point. It is my suspicion that the PLR5127 and the SR5129 are mutually incompatible!?
Anyone know any better?

I was looking at the instructions last night as i was thinking of adding the pannier rails to my 5129 and it says they work with 5127

are some of the holes misaligned. i have never known givi have 2 models for one bike so i would suggest asking givi direct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did ask Givi directly and they said it would fit ............................... but there was no way I could get it to fit and there is no mention of fitting the SR2159 topcase rack with the PLR5127 pannier racks in Givi's instructions! Interestingly, there is a mention of fitting it with the PL5127CAM pannier racks!

In the end, I cut two of the Givi mountings in half and didn't use the mounting point (on the bike) already in use for the panniers. Am just back from 1900 miles of touring France and Spain and my topbox has been fine (just have to remember not to put too much weight in it).

What a faff! I have used Givi kit in the past and been happy - but not impressed this time! Why are there no instructions for using the SR2159 topcase rack with the PLR5127 pannier racks - hey Givi?

Hi
New here

Can I ask a question ref the top box, do you need SR5129, plus an additional plate (M5 or M5M) for a trekker outback or Dolomite top box? - seems to be conflicting internet views on this?

I did ask Givi directly and they said it would fit ............................... but there was no way I could get it to fit and there is no mention of fitting the SR2159 topcase rack with the PLR5127 pannier racks in Givi's instructions! Interestingly, there is a mention of fitting it with the PL5127CAM pannier racks!

In the end, I cut two of the Givi mountings in half and didn't use the mounting point (on the bike) already in use for the panniers. Am just back from 1900 miles of touring France and Spain and my topbox has been fine (just have to remember not to put too much weight in it).

What a faff! I have used Givi kit in the past and been happy - but not impressed this time! Why are there no instructions for using the SR2159 topcase rack with the PLR5127 pannier racks - hey Givi?

Frankly. I am a bit confused. Perhaps a picture or two would help.

BMW offer two different racks for their bikes. On type handles the variocases (black) and the other type handles the alucases (silver). The topcase rack is separate to the sidecase racks, so you may combine the two.

Givi offers one adapterplate that fits to the alucase-rack, while another adapterplate fits the Variocase rack. None of these have any influence on the sideracks. Combining the plates makes no sense. Mounting it is dead-easy, no instruction needed. But then again, some people require a manual even when using a condom...

Since there is no mentioning in the post which rack is mounted on the bike, it is hard to recommend what to do. On my own bike I have the silver alucase rack, and the pertinent Givi adapter plate fits perfectly.

Anyway, it seems like OP got his issue fixed, so all is good ;):okay

Hi
I feel your pain. I have been trying to solve same problem for past 3 months
In short, I was informed I needed the SRA5127 but it does not fit my 2019F750GS and instructions, like yours are unhelpful. I was then informed by Givi UK that it was the SR5127 plus an M5 plate. But when Iwent to my local dealer, the parts guy, who is usually excellent, said that the SRA5127 was the correct rack. Duh! I am trying to continue to use my Givi topbox that worked brilliantly on my previous bike and not have to shell out more cash for a BMW topbox and fitting kit. How did you resolve the issue? I am new to BMW family. Thanks.

Hi
I feel your pain. I have been trying to solve same problem for past 3 months
In short, I was informed I needed the SRA5127 but it does not fit my 2019F750GS and instructions, like yours are unhelpful. I was then informed by Givi UK that it was the SR5127 plus an M5 plate. But when Iwent to my local dealer, the parts guy, who is usually excellent, said that the SRA5127 was the correct rack. Duh! I am trying to continue to use my Givi topbox that worked brilliantly on my previous bike and not have to shell out more cash for a BMW topbox and fitting kit. How did you resolve the issue? I am new to BMW family. Thanks.
The Givi parts you need depend on whether you have the plastic or metal luggage carrier fitted to the bike. Which do you have? Are the passenger grab rails black plastic or silver tubular metal?

Hi
Sorry for delay-just not been on the forum since dumping on it!! I have the black plastic grab rails.
Also I noticed an error in my post. Givi UK said I need an SR5129 plus a plate (M5 or M9) but my parts guy said the SRA 5127 which I had already purchased on advice from
them was ok. Totally confused. Spoke to reception at my local dealer and apart from only advising to buy BMW rack and topbox, was unhelpful. have you a solution Bikeski?

Hi
Sorry for delay-just not been on the forum since dumping on it!! I have the black plastic grab rails.
Also I noticed an error in my post. Givi UK said I need an SR5129 plus a plate (M5 or M9) but my parts guy said the SRA 5127 which I had already purchased on advice from
them was ok. Totally confused. Spoke to reception at my local dealer and apart from only advising to buy BMW rack and topbox, was unhelpful. have you a solution Bikeski?

By merely looking at the pictures on the Givi website, the SR5129 is the one, mounted to the rack already mounted to the bike. Further, without the need of any adapter, most newer Givi cases should fit right on to it.
It is my understanding that the mentioned additional adapter plates merely serves to make it possible to fit older cases by mounting the specified extra adapter plate onto the SR5129.

Hi

The SR5129 definitely fits with the plastic rack. I fitted one a couple of weeks ago. You also need to buy an adapter plate that matches the top case you have. I was fitting a Givi monokey case so used the M9 plate which works well.

(note that the SR5129 won’t fit with the metal rack. I believe the SRA5127 is what works with the metal rack - although I have never fitted one).

By merely looking at the pictures on the Givi website, the SR5129 is the one, mounted to the rack already mounted to the bike. Further, without the need of any adapter, most newer Givi cases should fit right on to it.
It is my understanding that the mentioned additional adapter plates merely serves to make it possible to fit older cases by mounting the specified extra adapter plate onto the SR5129.
The givi website pictures are a bit misleading. The SR5129 requires you to buy an adapter plate (matched to the type of case you have). The picture on the givi website shows the adapter plate fitted - but you have to buy it separately.

Back
Top Bottom