Quiet helmet

My current Sport Touring range of lids consist of an old Shoei GT Air , a Schuberth S2 Sport and an Arai QV Pro.
In terms of most quiet in use its Shoei, then Schuberth, last Arai.
in terms of comfort its Shoei, and a draw between Schuberth and Arai. In terms of ventilation from open vents its Arai, Shoei, Schuberth.
Main visor use (1st position opening /general use without modding its Schuberth, Shoei, Arai.
Sun visor effectiveness/ease of use, Shoei/Schuberth close draw (maybe Schuberth shades it, no pun intended), last the Arai external sunvisor is a PITA.
It should be noted I had to mod the Arai 1st position/visor lock detent as it was unusable as it came and next to impossible to crack open with a gloved hand on the move , and I've also tweaked the Shoei 1st visor detent as I think it ends up too open when you just want it cracked open for demisting.
And I hate typing Schuberth (fek knas if its spelt correct)

I have a Caberg flip front, it's my second one and I have to say neither of them have been 'quiet' but I like them for their fit and comfort. I used to use Shoei helmets and have had Arai as well and both were quieter, but still required ear plugs. I don't think you will get away with any helmet without ear plugs. I use Ultimate Ears moulded in-ear monitors and, keeping them clean all the time, have managed to get away with no ear infections.

Quiet helmet will be the one the fits the best.

Schuberth C3 Pro was quiet, but I dropped it. New Nexx flip front helmet is super quiet, bought in germany when I dropped my schuberth.

There isnt any quiet helmets. Level of noise depends on loads of different factors bike, screen, wind, turbulence from traffic. your head shape within the helmet etc etc etc etc.
I have had 3 schuberths over the years and my budget Caberg was the best for low noise??
I now have an AGV and increased padding around ears with thin foam inserted, works champion.

There isn't any quiet helmets. Level of noise depends on loads of different factors bike, screen, wind, turbulence from traffic. your head shape within the helmet etc etc etc etc.
I have had 3 schuberths over the years and my budget Caberg was the best for low noise??
I now have an AGV and increased padding around ears with thin foam inserted, works champion.

I agree with you on that, I bought a Neotec 2 when they first came out on the strength that Shoei were claiming that it was the quietest on the market,It wasn't , i sent it to Shoei Uk who made a slight adjustment which when it came back was a little bit better but not as quiet as my HJC rph and there "get out of jail card" was everyone's different,and depends on bike style faired or un-faired,the clothing you wear, basically everything Stahglewittern says,which is a bit disheartening for a premium priced lid.

Lots of claims are made but ultimately how quiet a lid is (or not) depends on how well it is padded, how well it fits, the degree of aerodynamic development involved in its design, the number of protrusions/joints in it, the seal of the visor and also the bike on which you are riding and how much turbulence each causes around your head. There's a lot of variables there but some helmets do a far better job than others and I don't have to wear plugs with the Spartan, nor did I with my Quantum F. I do have noise measuring kit but as it cannot take a reading from inside a helmet we only have subjective opinion to go on. It is very telling after a long ride if you are left with ringing ears or any other symptoms of exposure to excessive noise. I already suffer with Tinnitus but it gets considerably worse of I am exposed to high levels of noise for even short periods of time. I always wore plugs on long rides with my Shark Speed R, but so far, the Spartan is proving to be much better. Whilst there is no such thing as one helmet to better all others for everyone, some clearly are made with low noise levels in mind and these are rarely found at the cheaper end of the market where less R&D has gone into them. All you can say with varying degrees of certainty is that some manufacturers' lids are up there with the best for controlling noise. I would include Shoei, Shark (Spartan, Evoline and Race) some schuberth and a few others as standing out.

None of this is worth anything if you force a helmet shape onto your bonce that doesn't suit the shape of head you have. Fit has to be the first priority in achieving low noise levels. If, at the end of the day, your bike set up will never result in any helmet offering safe noise levels, earplugs must be worn or you can wave goodbye to your 100% hearing, and regular trips of 30 minutes or more is all it takes over a period of months to do permanent damage or several long distance jaunts at speeds of over 70mph in turbulent air.

However, recommendations have (and can reliably be) been made for certain helmets. I'd stand by those as the best bets but only if head shape matches. Some makes as we know cater for rounder heads and some for more oval head shapes (view from above). In between is where a lot of manufacturers aim so for those outside of this average you may have to hunt out the makes which live on the extremes.

I love my Schubert E1. It's comfortable and 'quiet' and I don't currently use earplugs. The peak vibrates like a hoor but that can be cured. Have a Nexx as well but it's not a flip up, prefer the Schubert though.

Lots of claims are made but ultimately how quiet a lid is (or not) depends on how well it is padded, how well it fits, the degree of aerodynamic development involved in its design, the number of protrusions/joints in it, the seal of the visor and also the bike on which you are riding and how much turbulence each causes around your head. There's a lot of variables there but some helmets do a far better job than others and I don't have to wear plugs with the Spartan, nor did I with my Quantum F. I do have noise measuring kit but as it cannot take a reading from inside a helmet we only have subjective opinion to go on. It is very telling after a long ride if you are left with ringing ears or any other symptoms of exposure to excessive noise. I already suffer with Tinnitus but it gets considerably worse of I am exposed to high levels of noise for even short periods of time. I always wore plugs on long rides with my Shark Speed R, but so far, the Spartan is proving to be much better. Whilst there is no such thing as one helmet to better all others for everyone, some clearly are made with low noise levels in mind and these are rarely found at the cheaper end of the market where less R&D has gone into them. All you can say with varying degrees of certainty is that some manufacturers' lids are up there with the best for controlling noise. I would include Shoei, Shark (Spartan, Evoline and Race) some schuberth and a few others as standing out.

None of this is worth anything if you force a helmet shape onto your bonce that doesn't suit the shape of head you have. Fit has to be the first priority in achieving low noise levels. If, at the end of the day, your bike set up will never result in any helmet offering safe noise levels, earplugs must be worn or you can wave goodbye to your 100% hearing, and regular trips of 30 minutes or more is all it takes over a period of months to do permanent damage or several long distance jaunts at speeds of over 70mph in turbulent air.

However, recommendations have (and can reliably be) been made for certain helmets. I'd stand by those as the best bets but only if head shape matches. Some makes as we know cater for rounder heads and some for more oval head shapes (view from above). In between is where a lot of manufacturers aim so for those outside of this average you may have to hunt out the makes which live on the extremes.

Nail hit head - fit is everything.

I have mates who swear by Shoei over Arai, but I've always found Arai to be quieter (for my shape o' noggin' :D)

Thanks everyone for the replies.
I think the first job is to look at turbulence from the bike itself. I plan also get a pair of custom moulded ear plugs and give them a try.

Thanks everyone for the replies.
I think the first job is to look at turbulence from the bike itself. I plan also get a pair of custom moulded ear plugs and give them a try.
Be aware, if you wear glasses that they can push your upper ear against the legs, more than a tad annoying/painful.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Years ago 'SHARP' said they were considering noise rating helmets but nothing to date, ******s. October Ride mag assesses helmets and inc noise but don't get too excited at the results.

Back
Top Bottom