What does the SOS & Teleservices function do, is it worth £305

rossi46

Reaction score
Currently negotiating a deal on a new Adventure Rallye, they have offered me a choice of 2, one with SOS & Teleservices and one without.
What exactly does the SOS and Teleservices do ? Is it worth the £305 ?

Currently negotiating a deal on a new Adventure Rallye, they have offered me a choice of 2, one with SOS & Teleservices and one without.
What exactly does the SOS and Teleservices do ? Is it worth the £305 ?

If you ride alone often, and in places nobody is around, it would be very useful, how much is your life worth is a better question.

When you drop your bike, a little old lady will shout out the speaker....

Are you OK Tosser, or have you just dropped your bike again?

You have to reply to her by shouting, OK Mummy, I'm fine. Thank you.

While remounting your steed amongst the Starbucks squished coffee cups.

It's worth every penny to onlookers.

My Biketrac will alert their monitoring centre if it detects an event which apears to be an accident, so I don't feel the need for the BMW system.

My Biketrac will alert their monitoring centre if it detects an event which apears to be an accident, so I don't feel the need for the BMW system.

I have both - Bike Trac carried over from my written off bike, not that they contacted anyone that I'm aware of. However, the BMW SOS is a one-off purchase and not liked to a subscription.

I have both - Bike Trac carried over from my written off bike, not that they contacted anyone that I'm aware of. However, the BMW SOS is a one-off purchase and not liked to a subscription.

That's interesting - I would like to know what criteria BikeTrac use to detect a man down situation, and as my wife is somewhat reassured by this when I go off on my own, it would be nice to know that it actually works - though I hope to never test it personally! Maybe it only flags the situation if the bike goes down and stays down for an extended period. Did your write-off fit that description, or was the bike picked up fairly promptly?

I realise that the BMW system is fully paid for upfront with no ongoing subscription, but as I would want BikeTrac as well anyway for the theft recovery service, I'm still not convinced about buying the SOS system.

That's interesting - I would like to know what criteria BikeTrac use to detect a man down situation

No idea. To be fair there were so many people around that probably more than one or two called the emergency services. However, when I have gently moved the bike (re-fitting the seat once), Bike Trac have called both me and the wife, so suspect they didn't.

My bike wasn't moved for some time as the forks were ripped from it - the Police arrived no earlier than 20 mins or so post accident. It was then placed against a fence for several hours with the ignition off.

No idea. To be fair there were so many people around that probably more than one or two called the emergency services. However, when I have gently moved the bike (re-fitting the seat once), Bike Trac have called both me and the wife, so suspect they didn't.

My bike wasn't moves for some time as the forks were ripped from it - the Police arrived no earlier than 20 mins or so post accident. It was then placed against a fence for several hours with the ignition off.

Thanks for that - makes me wonder if BikeTrac would really be that good at detecting an accident. Like you I seem to get false alarms at the slightest provocation if I disturb or move the bike a short distance with the ignition off, but although turning on the ignition before moving the bike disarms it and prevents this it, but you would have thought it would get flagged up if the bike goes onto its side even if the ignition is on.

I had a Biketrac tracker and thought "2 birds with one stone!" But. They don't call emergency services, they call your chosen contact.

I had a Biketrac tracker and thought "2 birds with one stone!" But. They don't call emergency services, they call your chosen contact.

Yes, I realise that, but hopefully they can pass on the location to my wife and/or son who could direct emergency services to me if I didn't respond and cancel the alert myself. My wife can also view the tracking and find the last location which was recorded.

but you would have thought it would get flagged up if the bike goes onto its side even if the ignition is on.

I only realised the other day that it was supposed to inform if I went down - I only bought it after my earlier bike was stolen.

Wise after the event...

Ive got the SOS on my new bike. I thought it was a gimmick when it first came out.

I tour on my own a lot, and it always crossed my mind, what would happen if I had an off, out of sight. Its a one of payment, no ongoing payments. When I picked up my new bike, I was given a demo. He pressed the button, then BMW answered.

If you have an off, they automatically contact you, if you answer and say your ok, they cancel the emergency services. if you dont reply, they send them out straight to your location.

Definitely not a gimmick.

They don't call emergency services, they call your chosen contact.

They didn't call my wife.

Edit - apologies all, just found out they did call the wife. It happened after I had got through to a colleague who rang her first.

I dropped my bike once, no call was made and they say it alerts them if the bike goes over a certain angle or a sudden stop.

This is why i decided not to have one on my new bike, and spent money on the SOS instead. There are phones apps that claim to do the same too.

I dropped my bike once, no call was made and they say it alerts them if the bike goes over a certain angle or a sudden stop.

This is why i decided not to have one on my new bike, and spent money on the SOS instead. There are phones apps that claim to do the same too.

If you drop the bike when it´s stopped they don´t call if it happens while riding they call, I had both situations and on the one I was riding I was doing at most 2 mph and they called

If you drop the bike when it´s stopped they don´t call if it happens while riding they call, I had both situations and on the one I was riding I was doing at most 2 mph and they called

Was the ignition on or off for the stationary incident? It is my experience that once the ignition is off it takes very little to trigger an alert, so maybe your ignition was on but it knew your speed was zero, so did not call.

Back
Top Bottom